Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the nicest, cheapest Engine bay wire harness with HEI added?

James

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Fredsgarage.tv said:
Who makes the nicest, cheapest Engine bay wire harness with HEI added?

James
If you're original engine harness is in good shape, you'll be TONS of money ahead to just replace the resistor wire with regular copper wire and call it done.

I spent $99 on my HEI harness, only to find out afterwards that the only difference was that wire and the fact that it didn't have the jumper to the coil.

It wasn't enough to make it worth the price.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
You Do!!

dittos to Novatorious

You can make your own wiring harness into an HEI wiring harness by undoing 2 screws, poping out the engine bay harnesss, popping out the old wire that went to your coil from the harness, and replacing it with a nice new 12 ga wire, then hook that to your HEI batt terminal.

It will cost you about $1 and take you maybe 20 mintues. When I first looked into it I was doing the same dance you are "shouldn't I just get a new harness?" No!! Don't get confused by the detailed instructions you'll find for the conversion, people are just trying to be thorough in their explanation.

I'm not an electrical guy by any means, but man, I did this, and it is SIMPLE. Just get some of the little clips for the ends of the wire that will pop back into your wiring harness. you'll see what I mean when you take the original one out. You can get them at your local parts store right in the isle for a buck.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
Here's what you need to do:

1- The cloth-covered resistor wire that goes from the firewall plug to the coil "+ " terminal should be replaced by a regular wire that goes to the HEI "bat" terminal. 16 gauge should do it.

2- The 'start boost' wire that goes from the "I" terminal on the starter to the coil "+" terminal can be removed entirely. (It carries +12 when the key is in the 'start' position, so if you don't disconnect and remove it, at least insulate the unused end to keep it from sparking.)

3- The coil, and the wire that goes between the coil "-" terminal and the points, and of course the distributor all get tossed and replaced by the HEI distributor.

4- If you have a tachometer wire connected to the coil "-" terminal, that should get moved to the "tach" terminal on the HEI.

THAT'S IT!!!
---

OR...I understand that NNN sells HEI retrofit wiring harnesses...though I haven't looked for myself.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Anybody know of an online source or partnumber for the pin that goes into the distribution block on the firewall. I went to a gm dealer and couldn't find it in there bin.

arndog

·
Registered
50 Posts
need engine bay wiring/hei

on the same subject, I am trying to go back to points and can't find the resister wire offered for sale anywhere including the dealer. anyone have any ideas for that? I know you can get it in a complete engine harness but I just want the single wire..

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
bilede said:
on the same subject, I am trying to go back to points and can't find the resister wire offered for sale anywhere including the dealer. anyone have any ideas for that? I know you can get it in a complete engine harness but I just want the single wire..
You have a PM. :)

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
arndog said:
Anybody know of an online source or partnumber for the pin that goes into the distribution block on the firewall. I went to a gm dealer and couldn't find it in there bin.

arndog

I think I found them in the aisle at checker auto parts, they were in one of the helper packages of other random things like harnesses...window handles...etc. I've been dissapointed with my local GM dealer....they rarely have a clue what I'm looking for when it comes to my Nova. I've been there a few times and unless they can pull up a diagram on their computer with the part I need shown in the diagram they can't help me. Needless to say not very many nova diagrams are on the computer. Too bad becuase a lot of times the parts are generic and are used across many models for many years, and they do have the part, they just don't know where to look.

Sometime I get an older guy who has worked there since the 70's and he has gotten me peices other employees told me they didn't have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts