Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a carter S/S electric fuel pump and im sick of listening to it, been loud for to long (14 years) time to change it i think, its starting to sound higher and louder, probably wearing out after all the miles of smiles. Anyway, tryied a couple mechanical ones about a 2 years ago and they would slowly quit on me after two days, but now i would like to get rid of the electric, so does anyone know a for sure working cheap pump to buy? Where? Part#? Price? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi there, I run a holley blue electric fuel pump. I have heard alot of people recommend a mechanical pump made by carter. Looking in the summit book the part # is CRT-M4889 Chevy, 396-454, 8 psi ........$112.95. If I was going to run a mechanical one, I would look into this one. It's a little pricy though, there are cheaper ones out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was running the Carter electric also.I know what you mean when you say it's loud.
But I changed to the Holley 12-125 pump.This the quietest pump that I ever ran so far.I don't hear it at all when I drive or just idling in town.

Figured I'd let you know on case you want another option for the electric pump.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bestest fuel pump from O'reilly's PN#B40727

Got the pump installed and so far so good, I think there must have been a bad batch of carter replacement pumps at one time, because i heard of others BBC's with the same issues, i know it might have been smarter to order a performance one out of summit/jeg's but i have to be cheap right now. Its great not hearing that buzz! Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
They're also available at GM.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Clay Smith is the best mech pump made. Will support 800 HP no problem, lasts for years, 100% American made and $125.00 +/-

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts