Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rear end on my '71 sags a bit. It's the original suspension. I want to replace the rear leaf springs (which are currently mono). In order to restore to stock height (or an inch or two higher), should I replace them with mono, 4, or 5 leafs? I also plan on replacing the shocks, and have purchased some Gabriels. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
The springs in 35+ year old cars are generally shot. If you replace them with a stock spring, the ride height will be back to normal. You can check with the spring makers to see if they offer springs with higher than normal ride height. Most make standard and lowering springs.
Ron

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I replaced my rear mono's on my 69 with multi-leafs and new stock shocks. I was surprised the lift wasn't what I expected, and the stock shocks were too short causing constant topping out of the shock .In order to get the exact height I was looking for I installed coil over shocks. Now I have that problem behind me and I like the stance and the ride now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the tips. Any suggestions/recommendations on spring companies or are they all the same? Websites, telephone numbers,etc...Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
springs

if i could offer a kind suggestion- i would recommend you search this suspension forum for leaf springs- there is a lot of posts on this.
personally, i am going with calvert split monos. they cost ~$330 with U bolts.
you also could consider jc whitney also.

good luck,

steve

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
hi there,
do you have a picture of the car now showing how much the springs sag? usually mono's look like they sag but are normally like that. JC whitney sells mono spring replacements which are a 3 leaf and fit using all the existing mono parts on the car. and there pretty cheap in price too..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I do have pics but have never posted any here. I'll give it a shot. In any event, thanks again for evryone's advice & tips.
Randy

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'm still a little technologically "challenged". I couldn't figure out how to post pics...lol. Besides, I didn't have any of the profile to best view how it sags. I'll have my daughter do it for me. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I replaced my rear mono's on my 69 with multi-leafs and new stock shocks. I was surprised the lift wasn't what I expected, and the stock shocks were too short causing constant topping out of the shock .In order to get the exact height I was looking for I installed coil over shocks. Now I have that problem behind me and I like the stance and the ride now.
When you chance from a mono to multi or vice versa you also need to change the bottom bracket to put the bottom shock eye in the same location.

For replacement springs, if this is just a cruiser look for a local spring shop, most of them probably cater to trucks these days, but they may be able to get you something. Summit may now sell replacement springs, JC Whitney is always good.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A buddy of mine just called and suggested National Parts Depot www.NPD.com, & Ground Up Restoration www.ss396.com. From the sounds of things I may just stick with the mono replacements w/ new installation kit. Thanks again. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I replaced the stock mono leaf springs in my wagon with multi leafs from ESPO Springs & Things. They have bushings, bolts, U-botls, spring pads, shackles and everything else you need.

You can also try Eaton Detroit Spring. They advertise in some of the mags. I have heard good things about them.

Unfortunately, I did not save my original monos. I was thinking about going to Slide A Links and they seem to suggest you use mono leafs.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not trying to take over your thread or anything but do they offer something like a multi pack leaf to carry more weight (such as pulling a trailor with two Harleys) but in a lowered version about 2 inches lower than stock?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replaced the stock mono leaf springs in my wagon with multi leafs from ESPO Springs & Things. They have bushings, bolts, U-botls, spring pads, shackles and everything else you need.

You can also try Eaton Detroit Spring. They advertise in some of the mags. I have heard good things about them.

Unfortunately, I did not save my original monos. I was thinking about going to Slide A Links and they seem to suggest you use mono leafs.
Do you have any photos of before & after installation?? I'm in serious need of new leaf springs, and trying to decide who to buy them from.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,466 Posts
How does it ride and handle with the new multileafs on it compaired to a single mono leaf?
Since I also changed the front springs and bushings and stiffer shocks, the whole car is stiffer riding, but I like it that way. Very little lean on cornering. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Since I also changed the front springs and bushings and stiffer shocks, the whole car is stiffer riding, but I like it that way. Very little lean on cornering. :)
Oh ok I see. That is the feel I like as well. Stiff enough for the corners without much lean and sag under throttle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts