Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to save my life! And to meet the rules. It's time to take a strong look at a role bar.

As a person who does believe in safety, I am crazy not to have one.

I want to install one that will not be intrusive to the car, can be removed with minor repair.

ON A BUDGET!!!!!!!

Open to ideas!

Thanks
Al

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
How many points you want or how fast do you want to go and be legal? Then do you want moly or mild steel? RM

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is a pic of a bolt-in one for a Nova. I believe the cream colored LSx nova from the hotrod tour has the same one. The one they were giving away. :yes:

The only problem is the price, they start at $2500. Just an idea to go off of if you have one built.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many points you want or how fast do you want to go and be legal? Then do you want moly or mild steel? RM
Mild steel, 6 point
Pass to a 10.00 1/4 mile time.
I would consider a 8 point but it must be fitted perfect!

Al

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
mild steel is heavy al you may want to look at a chassis works cromoly cage they fit really close to the pillars so you cant really see it you could bolt in a 6 point bar and be good for 11.50 ( nhra rule book ) i dont know ihra rules :no:

www.cachassisworks.com or send a pm to techguy he works for chris alston

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
You can buy an 8 point kit from S&W for around $200 and bolt it to the floor with the plates provided. But the rear tubes need to be welded. Dave

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought the S&W 8 point kit for my 62 wagon and have been very happy. Drivers side swing out only. I can have it removed later and the carpet will cover the plates.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Al! why don't you leave that car untouched and buy a nice already setup Drag car, 72 nova... :) In sale section!
Thats what I trully need to do. And what I am going to do.
Need to wait a while before I spend any major funds.

Word kind getting out how fast my car can run. And the "MOUTH RATS" at track are making havic with the tech guys.

Al

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Hey Al, Come to Shadyside, they don't care how fast it is if you got 7 bucks they let you test. My buddy Brian was running 5.90s with a bolt in 4 point bar in a SBF powered turbo mustang. I made him step it up to a 12 point moly cage. I was concerned for him but the track didn't say a word.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Don't listen to anybody who tells you "ohh that car is too nice to race, save it and get another"...Put a cage in it and race the death out of it! My car is VERY pretty and I have a lot of time and money in it, and I drive the wheels off of it. Last year I wrecked it into the wall on the top side of the track...Well, I fixed it and I continue to beat it up, only faster than before.

Putting a cage in a car doesn't automatically make it a cut up race car. If you like the car, you should put a cage in it because you will ultimately end up bending/breaking the car from hard launches.

I like S&W just as much as the next guy...But for what you want you need a custom cage. It's too bad you live so far away, because this is exactly the stuff that I do. Custom bent, chromoly, TIG welded...Fitting tight and cutting/burning/ruining nothing. The back bars should go through the speaker holes,the main hoop to the rocker, the door bar to the rocker.

Whoever does it, it's gotta be TIG'd. No MIG splatter to burn any glass/interior, and it looks pretty to boot. Might as well do it in moly as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dan I will do my best to get the pictures for you. My friend had them on his site awhile back.If I can get them I will figure out how to get them on here.

·
Registered
751 Posts
novacain you are right done right it can be done. BUT some people like to have a nice street car with no bars that will run 11's, and then a fast racecar that runs 8's. :) I know some people that have both and they are painted alike so sometimes its hard to tell which one they are in until you can see the rear tires.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I agree with joe.I didnt build my car to sit in a shop for its lifespan.I would do a cage and make it as tight fitting as possible and run the two from baars through the dash for more space. I brought mine as a beat up roller and that is one of many things I with I changed.
Greg

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey Big Al. i am not the best by no means but i did mine so the cage is kinda hidden.i used the pillars the best i could. i cheeted on the door bar a little, it says between the shoulder and elbow, i put mine as close to the elbow as possible. by doing so it lays next to the seat so it doesnt affect getting in and out. i wish now i would have ran the front bars into the dash and i would have been able to use the pillars in the front to hide the bars, and i could of put my cross bar inside the dash. if i had you car i would use swing outs for doors, and behind the seat so passengers can get in and out when not at the track. hope this helps.

P.S. from the side you cant see any of it but a small piece in the front

1 - 17 of 17 Posts