Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok right now i have 16 I-ROCs on my 4th Gen 76 now im running a 245/60R16 at the moment, but i want to put some nice street radials on the car.

i want a tire that has a thicker sidewall then a standard street tire whats a good size?

also the cars rear end is stock, shocks are in stock location at the moment no sag in rear leafs so theres some room to fit a little thicker tire.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hey man do yourself a favor and get some firestone firehawk indy 500's, they are a nice fat, sticky street radial that handles and grabs excellent for the money. check them out @ www.tirerack.com

·
Registered
95 Posts
If your looking more for a drag radial I would look at the 255-50-16 Mickeys. We have ran those on a 16x8 Iroc before and they fit nice, they are a 26in tall tire. If your looking for the widest tire Mickey also makes a 295-50-16 but they are a little wide for a 8in wheel which makes the side wall buldge a little, they would work but they wouldn't be right.

Jared

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your looking more for a drag radial I would look at the 255-50-16 Mickeys. We have ran those on a 16x8 Iroc before and they fit nice, they are a 26in tall tire. If your looking for the widest tire Mickey also makes a 295-50-16 but they are a little wide for a 8in wheel which makes the side wall buldge a little, they would work but they wouldn't be right.

Jared
im not looking for the widest iv had a 9" tire on there and i was good with that but i wanted it a little more taller i was thinking a 255-75-16

·
Registered
95 Posts
You said that you run a 245-60-16 which is a 27.5in tall tire, but if you moved up to a 255-75-16 you are looking at a 31in tall tire. IMHO I think it would look a little goofy unless the car was able to tuck the tire.

Jared

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
looks like sizes are limited, you may be better off getting 15" wheels, like the kind that come on 87 monte ss of 81 z28 if you like the 5 spoke iroc look.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh well im new to buying radials but i want the width to be 9" and at least a 28.5" tall tire.

i dont have the option to go to a 15"

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the link Jared much appretiated

255-65-16

Section Width: 10.03 in 255 mm
Rim Diameter: 16 in 406.4 mm
Rim Width Range: 7 - 9 in
Overall Diameter: 29.05 in 737.87 mm
Sidewall Height: 6.52 in 165.60 mm
Radius: 14.52 in 368.80 mm
Circumference: 91.26 in 2318.0 mm

that seems like it would fit just right

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i took a couple measurements and with the tire i have on the car. the top of the rim is 7 5/8" from the top of the wheel well tire is 4" from the top of the wheel well. 3" from the rear of the wheel well closest to the rear bumper. 4" from the front. the other side has the same measurements.

I know these measurements arn't exact so i took a 1/2" off all 4 before hand.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess if you're going for that swell 4x4 look they might work.
well iv seen those tires on a 75 camaro with 16x10 rims and they didnt look like 4x4 tires so i dont see how you would think its going to look like a swell 4x4 look when theres novas with way bigger tires than that on the rears.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
i dont see how you would think its going to look like a swell 4x4 look when theres novas with way bigger tires than that on the rears.
I ran a 255/70/15 (28.9") trying to tame the 4.56's a little for street driving--I took them off after a month because they looked like crap. A friend put them on a 72 El Camino and it DID look like a 4x4. My slicks are 28", but the car sits lower than stock.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I ran a 255/70/15 (28.9") trying to tame the 4.56's a little for street driving--I took them off after a month because they looked like crap. A friend put them on a 72 El Camino and it DID look like a 4x4. My slicks are 28", but the car sits lower than stock.

Well sure Bowtie! The slicks are probably half smashed down even with 20 pounds of air in 'em!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try to find the tallest tire you can. These tires are still radials, and are pretty stiff. The shorter the tire, the more useless they become (for drag racing).
well im restricted to a 30" wide wheel well so im thinking a 29" or even a 29.5" should tuck pretty good.

right now its mainly a street car since i only have a mild 305 in at the moment and i guess as i was informed 2day in 2 weeks that engines coming out and the nova is going to be parked!:eek::(

soooo i guess thats a sign to relocate the shocks maybe shorten the rear an 1" and build the procharged 355ci as i was planing before.:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
There is no way in hell that tire is gonna fit a stock wheel house without a mini tub or big *** air shocks and or shackles and the tire will be sticking out past the wheel well with the latter option. I run a 275/60/16 and it just fits nice with the right B/S on an 8" wheel. JMO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts