Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124833

thats the link to my thread with pictures of the nova.

well i thought up some new ideas but.... dont know how to run with them you know?!

im basically asking for advice on how i should approach the nova.... so im going to just list some ideas of what i want to do and hopefully you guys can give me advice on it.

##first thing is floors and trunk.... at first i thought to replace them both but then realized my floors really arent that bad...my trunk is but.... instead of buying them i figured i would spend the same amount of cash on por 15 to clean up my floors to prevent rust permanetly...(por 15 claims that its products might even strenghten metal)

## next i pretty much want to do clean up my subframe and the suspension and replace some parts as needed. does anyone recomend por 15 products to paint the subframe?

## finally i ask your opinnion on using a saginaw 4 speed in place of turbo 350.... i found one for 75 bucks on craigslist that needs rebulid and have found the rebuild kits not that expensive.

thats pretty much on the number 1 objective list for right now once i get that outta the way electrical will be the next thing i work on. so please just tell me what you would advise i do with these goals of mine

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Por15 is good for the rusty floor and trunk spots, id fill small holes in with fiberglass resin jelly, as for the sub frame, clean, wire wheel, whatever you gatta do and then just spray can it with rustoleum appliance black, one can should do the whole frame and no primer needed. as for the 4 speed, cool idea but will run you hundreds of dallors more for all the parts needed to make it work, id stick with the th350 and a good shift kit. JMO. Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Por15 is good for the rusty floor and trunk spots, id fill small holes in with fiberglass resin jelly, as for the sub frame, clean, wire wheel, whatever you gatta do and then just spray can it with rustoleum appliance black, one can should do the whole frame and no primer needed. as for the 4 speed, cool idea but will run you hundreds of dallors more for all the parts needed to make it work, id stick with the th350 and a good shift kit. JMO. Good luck!
well por 15 makes that trunk florr pan repair kit but have been around and heard people on other forums saying that its good but that the kit doesnt supply you with the stuff you actually need. like insufficeint amounts of the stuff

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
like previously stated the four speed will cost more in parts but a 4-speed is just soooo much more fun:yes: My nova has one and im converting my 74 camaro from a th350 to a 4-speed

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
you get more horse power to the wheels with a stick shift. You lose power with a th350 and even more with a th400.

·
6,554 Posts
Well I thought up some new ideas but.... dont know how to run with them you know?!

I'm basically asking for advice on how I should approach the nova.... so I'm going to just list some ideas of what i want to do and hopefully you guys can give me advice on it.

##first thing is floors and trunk.... at first i thought to replace them both but then realized my floors really arent that bad...my trunk is but.... instead of buying them i figured i would spend the same amount of cash on por 15 to clean up my floors to prevent rust permanetly...(por 15 claims that its products might even strenghten metal)

## next i pretty much want to do clean up my subframe and the suspension and replace some parts as needed. does anyone recomend por 15 products to paint the subframe?

## finally i ask your opinnion on using a saginaw 4 speed in place of turbo 350.... i found one for 75 bucks on craigslist that needs rebulid and have found the rebuild kits not that expensive.

thats pretty much on the number 1 objective list for right now once i get that outta the way electrical will be the next thing i work on. so please just tell me what you would advise i do with these goals of mine
On my 74 SOA, I sand blasted the underneath and the topside wire wheeled it clean removing old seam sealers and such so it was all bare metal with nothing covered up. I then applied POR-15 to the topside of the interior floors and let it ooze through the seams and such and after it dried I took a wire wheel to the extra paint under the car to remove it. My plan for the underneath is then to apply an epoxy primer and then a black paint applied with my paint gun.
I was looking at mine the other night and there are some dings and dents in the floor that I will eventually hammer out and do any filler work to make it look nice again.
My hatch floor was another problem in that I had some rot and could have done a lot of patch panels but opted to buy yet another SOA for parts and I cut this unrotted floor out of this one and replace 90% of the original one in the car I'm restoring.
On my build I've had a lot of things acid dipped like the donor hatch floor, doors, hatchlid, fenders, cowl, bumper supports, subframe, and so on so I can see what I'm really working with. I've also had a lot of things blasted (and will never blast the undeneath of a car again but instead have the whole shell dipped) and thos parts are things like control arms, stamped brackets, and such. In my area I have the option of having things dipped or blasted or things done myself with wire wheels and sanding discs.

On my 73 custom I started building it back around 1977 and the frame on it was removed and cleaned up with wire wheels and then after a lot of welding, was smoothed out. So far it's held up pretty good and if I ever decide to make it nicer later at least I know it was pretty well protected from doing what I did to it years ago. On this same 73 I also applied a lot of rustoleum paints inside the doors, quarters, fenders and so on and while it's led a more protected life I have very little rot on the car today (a couple of rust bubbles on the lower edge of the door seam and the lower front section of the quarter panel above the rocker sill).

If you are going to do a driver then you might just go with cleaning the frame and checking for any damage and then just coating it with an epoxy paint or POR-15 products. If you are doing a restoration then I would maybe have it dipped, check and repair any damage and then epoxy prime it and then apply the appropriate black on it.

It's really up to you how nice you want it and what direction you want the car to go towards (restored, cleaned up, modified, etc).

I'm also converting mine to a manual setup. I'm getting parts off of a 73 I also have and if you are going to do the same be aware that the tranny bumpout is different. I think a person could modify the automatic one in a 74 to work but it might be worth the time to get one out of a donor car. The bumpouts are spot welded to the floor and if you are changing the bumpout then I would also enlarge the hole in the floor pan. Mine looks like it was cut with a torch and not very large originally underneath the added bumpout.

Jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah im just gonna go with the turbo 350 and put a shift kit later. and im going to go ahead and order the por 15 floor and trunk restoration kit. any advice on the product? i keep hearing stuff on its short shelf life? any help there also

1 - 11 of 11 Posts