Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a link on another site to this really great comparison of a NASCAR and F1 engine. Alot of interesting info. Thought you engine folks might like it. I was surprised at how close the performance level was. Not over all performance cause the displacements are way off but the power curves. Our boys are making some great numbers with the old push rod engines!!!! Nice read. JR
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/comparison_of_cup_to_f1.htm

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Those figures and specs on F1 are not correct their engines are 10 cylinders and they put in 1500 bhp per ton. Both engines are on completely different planets. As for longevity an F1 car revs faster, harder, and goes up and down gears more in one race than a Nascar does in a single season. You have to think Cup cars are on big oval speedways going at the same pace for the most part 95% of the time. An F1 car is constantly shifting up and down through all gears for all sorts of corners and turns. It's so much more harder and demanding on the gear box and engine than a stock car. That is why an F1 car was made to go from 0-150 mph back to 0 in 7 seconds. I still have love for what can be done with the Pushrod V8 though dont get me wrong but the F1 engine is amazing for what they do. Yeah they might not run tons of laps but their tracks are very long and very hard to drive. Look at monaco. A stock car lap can be done in seconds most F1 laps are around 1.5 minutes a piece

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Those figures and specs on F1 are not correct their engines are 10 cylinders and they put in 1500 bhp per ton. Both engines are on completely different planets. As for longevity an F1 car revs faster, harder, and goes up and down gears more in one race than a Nascar does in a single season. You have to think Cup cars are on big oval speedways going at the same pace for the most part 95% of the time. An F1 car is constantly shifting up and down through all gears for all sorts of corners and turns. It's so much more harder and demanding on the gear box and engine than a stock car. That is why an F1 car was made to go from 0-150 mph back to 0 in 7 seconds. I still have love for what can be done with the Pushrod V8 though dont get me wrong but the F1 engine is amazing for what they do. Yeah they might not run tons of laps but their tracks are very long and very hard to drive. Look at monaco. A stock car lap can be done in seconds most F1 laps are around 1.5 minutes a piece
the 3.0l V10 engines were no longer allowed at the end of the 2005 Season. They are now limited to 2.4 litre V8 engine.

Laps? The messurment is miles run, not laps.

A F1 car weight is 1000 lbs, a lot less than a Cup car at 3600lbs.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
the 3.0l V10 engines were no longer allowed at the end of the 2005 Season. They are now limited to 2.4 litre V8 engine.

Laps? The messurment is miles run, not laps.

A F1 car weight is 1000 lbs, a lot less than a Cup car at 3600lbs.
Right but when this was done 10's were still used. Laps are more so what I used in F1 since thats what they use where as Nascar uses mileage since it's amercian based.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
every aspect of f1 is at least 100 times more advanced than the most advanced technology in Nascar. though I think if the rules allowed it Nascar would build a vehicle just as advanced.

that said, I enjoy watching both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts