Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be putting a narrowed 9" in my 71. I'd like to keep the fenders stock with maybe a bit of trimming/massaging on the inner side.

Trying to make sure everything will fit before I start cutting and pasting.

I already have the 9", it's about 57" wide. Was originally built for a Ford Ranger. I'd like to use 15x10" rims with 3.75" BS.

What's the largest tire I can fit? I'd like to get a 295-50x15 on it. 12.2 section width on a 9.5" rim. 26.8" tall.

I've been taking lots of measurements and think it's close.

·
3,863 Posts
The 9" is only about 1.5" narrower than a stock rear. A stocker will fit a 15x8 wheel with 5-5.5" of backspacing, but they are really close to the springs and outer wheelhousing. Your 10" rims will end up in about the same place as the 8" rims on the inside, but the outside will stick out 2" further. I don't think that particular setup will fit in the wheelwells without jacking up the rearend, which in my opinion looks awful unless you are going for the '70's look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rim I need also comes in an 15x8 3.75 BS. I could go that route too.

So say I use the 8" rim, what size tire should I go with?

·
Registered
28 Posts
stock rear end measures 54" inside of backing plate-inside of backing plate.
the 66 year model 12 bolt measures 51 & 1/4". just fyi.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I've got a 9 inch that is 58 inches wide(wms to wms)... I fit a 15x8 with 4.5 backspace and 255-60-15 tires with plenty of room inside and out, probably 3/4 of an inch.
by the way, the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface measurement seems to be the most important dimension to compare with.
I believe the stock wms to wms is 60.25 inches
let me know if you need more info on the setup

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a 9 inch that is 58 inches wide(wms to wms)... I fit a 15x8 with 4.5 backspace and 255-60-15 tires with plenty of room inside and out, probably 3/4 of an inch.
Nice. So it sounds like I should be able to get 275's on 8" rims 3.75bs to fit. Maybe a bit of masaging, a touch but not much.

I was thinking I would need to inboard my shocks. Are yours stock?
I'll be adding custom traction bars and maybe a panhard bar so moving stuff around won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Nice. So it sounds like I should be able to get 275's on 8" rims 3.75bs to fit. Maybe a bit of masaging, a touch but not much.

I was thinking I would need to inboard my shocks. Are yours stock?
I'll be adding custom traction bars and maybe a panhard bar so moving stuff around won't be a problem.
yeah, I had to move the shocks inboard too.. they rub bad on the wheels otherwise

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

So the axle is in, still needs bolted down but good enough to see what will and won't fit.

8" rims with 3.75 bs fit snug on the inside but are way far away from the outside. Looks like I will need a 10" rim to get it centered in the wheel well. Or less back spacing, which the rim that matches the front is only available in one bs size.

It's gonna be snug anyway I look at it.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If you are stuck with a certain wheel then yeah, gonna be hard to fit it up. Sounds like you have some wheels (8" with a 3.75" back spacing)..

Now if your still shopping for wheels then thats another story, specially if you have the leaf springs there still...

On my 62 I have a 9" rear end, narrowed by 1-1/2" and 10" wheels fit fine. Ummm, I dont have leaf springs though, so thats the kicker.. JR

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leafs arn't the problem, it fits great there, it's the wheel well that will hit first.

I can take a hammer and saw to the inside, but the outside i'd like to keep stock.

I was trying to keep the same wheels as the front as I'm doing this on the cheap, plus I really like the looks of what I have now.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Leafs arn't the problem, it fits great there, it's the wheel well that will hit first.

I can take a hammer and saw to the inside, but the outside i'd like to keep stock.

I was trying to keep the same wheels as the front as I'm doing this on the cheap, plus I really like the looks of what I have now.
Ok, umm. Hmmm.. Well, I wouldnt go to town on the inner portion of the quarter with a saw. Even though it looks like there is what, prolly 1/2" maybe 3/4" space between the inner and the outside skin.

I think it will loosen up that outside skin too much. On a drag car that really doesnt matter then maybe. But that inner wheel well does add alot of support for the outer skin. It may want to flop around a lil if you shave the inner portion out.

So you say the springs arent a prob?? But they are from the sounds of it. That and the back spacing of the wheels.

I see you are trying to keep the wheels you have. But if they are hitting the quarter then they are just too far out...

And really, I thought about shaving the inner quarter to make my wheels fit. I just didnt like the potential issues.. JR

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Update:

So the axle is in, still needs bolted down but good enough to see what will and won't fit.

8" rims with 3.75 bs fit snug on the inside but are way far away from the outside. Looks like I will need a 10" rim to get it centered in the wheel well. Or less back spacing, which the rim that matches the front is only available in one bs size.

It's gonna be snug anyway I look at it.
I think if you put a 1/2" spacer behind the wheel it should give you the clearance you need. You may have to get some longer wheel studs too. Plus if you're gonna make your own traction bars you can attach the shocks to the spring mount on the inside away from the tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So How much space do I need between the tire and the fender (inside fender by the trunk) to keep it from rubbing? I am about 1/2" at the closest point now. It's the part where the stock shock mount is. Outside I think will be fine. It wouldn't be too hard to add a track bar if I had to, but would rather not.

So for an update, I got the 275-60/15's mounted on the 8" wheels. The passenger side is much tighter than the drivers, wheel well opening is 3/4" narrower. So I took a hammer to it and made some room, in the process found lots of tin, rivets, and bondo... Now I need to do some repairs to fix the softball size hole that leads into my trunk!
The drivers side is tighter on the inside but plenty of room on the outside, so I added a 1/4" spacer and everything is centered nice. I still only have 1/2" of space on the inside but expect to find a mess if I start on it with the hammer like the other side.
The axle is centered on the springs but the springs are obviously not centerd with the body. Gotta love a car that has had just about every pannel rusted out and either replaced or repaired.

End of story the tires look good as they fill the wheel well nice. Shocks fit up nice. Need to come up with some new exhaust routing, and hope that the bit off offset the axle had isn't gonna cause too much vibrations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took it for a spin! Other than needing to re-bleed the brakes, looks like it will work great!!

Some Pics:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts