Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Several different companies sold them (and still do:rolleyes:). They are what some people would call dyno mule mechanical roller lifters. Definitely not the best thing out there.:no: The vertical bar style lifters are far superior.:yes:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
heard good and bad about 'em

i saw a set of those that came out of a late model dirt tracker after a season that looked good , i've heard they'll break alot quicker than the vertical locking bar type as well. I had a set of Crowers with the vertical bar loose a wheel and wipe a cam ,, so ,,, everything is subject to failure i guess

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
those are comp cams endura x self ejecting solid rollers meaning you can leave them in the motor while swapping out the cam

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Those are known as T-bar or horizontal Link Bar roller lifters.

they could be: (I would say made by one company for all listed)
Crane
Crower
Read
Isky
Comp
Lunati
Herbert
Howards

They are used mostly in engines that most want to run a rev kit.

It is a matter of opinion as the quality difference between the Horizontal and Vertical bar roller lifters.
I have never had issues with either types. But I prefer a rev kit and mostly use the Horizontal bar.

Crane was a major manufacture of these lifters for themselves and other company's.

http://www.dougherbert.com/horizontalbarrollerlifters-p-10139.html?cPath=83_93_683

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN-11515-16&autoview=sku

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figures! The engine was orriginally built by a circle track guy.:yes: They've got quite some miles on them and no failure yet.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are known as T-bar or horizontal Link Bar roller lifters.

they could be: (I would say made by one company for all listed)
Crane
Crower
Read
Isky
Comp
Lunati
Herbert
Howards

They are used mostly in engines that most want to run a rev kit.

It is a matter of opinion as the quality difference between the Horizontal and Vertical bar roller lifters.
I have never had issues with either types. But I prefer a rev kit and mostly use the Horizontal bar.

Crane was a major manufacture of these lifters for themselves and other company's.

http://www.dougherbert.com/horizontalbarrollerlifters-p-10139.html?cPath=83_93_683

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN-11515-16&autoview=sku
All the other parts of the Valve train are Lunati. What exactly does the rev kit do? The plate for the Rev kit even says lunati on it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Several different companies sold them (and still do:rolleyes:). They are what some people would call dyno mule mechanical roller lifters. Definitely not the best thing out there.:no: The vertical bar style lifters are far superior.:yes:
yeah i knew a guy that had some of those and one of the bars broke and ruined his cam.and marred up the lifter pocket.needless to say he had to buy a new set and went with the side bar type.not sure what brand though in the above pic.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
All the other parts of the Valve train are Lunati. What exactly does the rev kit do? The plate for the Rev kit even says Lunati on it!
It does several things.

It keeps the lifter in contact with the cam. This reduces what is know as skipping.

When running a lot of gap it reduces the lifter from hammering the cam. Bouncing, kind same as skipping.

Helps adds extra spring rate for the valve train.

if a any part of the valve train fails above the lifter, IE: rocker arm, spring, dropped valve. this will keep the lifter in place and help save the cam from and lifter from major damage.

Al

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I run those in my 410, Lunati's engineers sent them to me for free, so I can't complain--never had a problem with them.

Also sold by Morel, Crane, Herbert...........

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
if your considering using them.. be sure to check the bearing play.. the axles wear before any wear is visible....... generally speaking.. when a roller lifter fails.. it's the axle that fails due to unseen and unchecked wear....

when the Axle fails.. it a catastrophic failure and can destroy the entire engine.... so just be sure of what your installing is in good working order

Veno

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
when the Axle fails.. it a catastrophic failure and can destroy the entire engine
Hmmm, Sounds familiar---Kansas is a long way from L.A. when you have a lifter failure...........But, not as far as Jackson, Tenn. when the next one failed!!!

Photo courtesy of Mothers Polishes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts