Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install the super powershot kit on my nova, andI have a few questions. Besides what is included in the kit, are there any parts that i need to buy that are required when running spray? Do I need to buy the blow down tube and fitting if I'm mounting it in the trunk? The only parts I was going to buy are the fuel pressure saftey switch, WOT switch, and an arming switch. Is there anything else I'm forgetting? thanx for the help

Mike

·
Registered
362 Posts
Although its not mandatory, its a good idea to have a seperate fuel system (pump, regulator, gauge). I went through more then a few pistons and head gaskets when I relied on one system to do both.

You absolutely should have a fuel gauge even with one fuel system, it a lot easy to let off the spray if your fuel pressure drops then replace a head gasket. Hobbs switches are good idea. Also, be sure you have a good power source. A friend kept melting plugs and we found that his NOS soliniod was opening but the volts dropped so low that the fuel didn't open.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You don't need a blow down tube if it's in the trunk, one of the keys to saving a motor on the spray is enough fuel volume! Make sure you have enough volume to supply the motor and nitrous at the same time, hell we ran a 500hp small block with a 325hp shot of spray on top of it last year on a single Holley Black Pump. One of the cheapest pieces of insurance in my eyes though is the Hobbs Switch!! If hooked up correctly and there ain't enough fuel pressure or the pressure drops below a certain point ain't nothing is gonna happen!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
When I had the unit on my car, I opened the blister pack on the cardboard package, scanned the instruction sheet, installed the stuff from the package, along with a full throttle switch, tee'd off from my existing fuel line, went to the track. First pass went 10.25, with a little timing and fuel pressure fiddling went 9.87/137. People always asked me to help them with their set-ups; told em all I did was bolt it on, nobody ever believed me!
Never had any Hobbs switch or purge system or blowdown tube, purged it in the staging lanes by blipping the switch by hand while holding the rpm up a few thousand.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nos

Hey Baddass what is the difference b/w a Hobbs switch and the NOS fuel pressure saftey switch?

I'm installing my new fuel system on the car which consists of a 310 GPH Sportsman Product Engineering Pump/Filter with 10 line up to a Y Block, from there it goes 10 line to the reg for the motor, and 8 line to a holley reg for the nitrous. I going to set the psi on the N2O reg to around 7, and the motor to 8.

Do I really need to take out 2 deg for every 50hp shot? Also the directions on the MSD retard box say once its hooked up the timing will be off by 4 deg, is that right?

thanx for the feedback

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Do I really need to take out 2 deg for every 50hp shot?
I've run without taking any timing out with up to 200 h.p. I run 34-36 degrees with or without the bottle. If you're one of those that runs more than that, maybe you should pull it back some. My car always left better leaving the timing as is, and never hurt anything.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timing

I run 38.5 deg of timing now on the motor, thats what it was dynoed/tuned with at the engine bulider. was going to take 2 deg out and run without spray to see if the car picks up any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts