Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how this works. I've never run N2O with one of my sticks. I was also always told that it's not good to turn the N2O on and off during a run. How about when you lift that slight amount to shift? The nitrous will turn off, then reengage when you floor it again? Is that safe to do? I'm not worried about the top end and my rev limiter, I run a RPM switch, along with retard box and rev limiter, just wondering about between shifts.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I have never done it either..... but it would seem that speed shifting was the order of the day..... like I would drive any other way?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
How about when you lift that slight amount to shift?
What slight amount?

Some guys (with no b*lls) will put a button on the clutch pedal to interrupt the flow during shifts--I don't think it's a big deal...I've had to pedal mine a few times with the nitrous flowing and it's never been a problem.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Typically, I recommend an RPM window switch. Then it works for the speed-shifters and the Nancies alike. The people who run into problems momentarily letting off the nitrous several times are generally those using a BIG hit. Then when they let off the juice a couple times, the intake is still full of nitrous and their timing retard's let the timing back in.:eek:

I still recommend a window switch on any hit 150 and up just because most people have NO clue just how much faster the RPM climbs when the juice is flowing. ANYTHING goes awry (broke u-joint, smoked clutch, broke axle, even tire spin) and it'll be in the stratosphere before you can blink let alone react with your right foot.:yes:

Just make sure the LOW side of the window switch is set pretty low otherwise it will shut off the system when you launch. Otherwise, you'll never know the window switch is even there.

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yes I do use a window switch. I turn it on around 3000rpm and set it to shut off 200rpm before banging the rev limiter. Even speed shifting though, it's going to shut off before it hits the rev limiter when the clutch is pressed, then come back on when the rpm's drop. That's what I was more concerned about.

And yes, I can bang gears with the best of them. Speed shifting is no problem, but (not trying to brag, but this does happen) I can pull second, and sometimes 3rd faster than the syncros can work, thereby ripping them out of the transmission. So untill I get the transmission face plated, "blipping " the throttle while shifting may cost a tenth or two, it sves the transmission, for now. You learn this when you rebuild your Muncie 4 times in a year due to destroyed syncros.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You learn this when you rebuild your Muncie 4 times in a year due to destroyed syncros
That's why I race with an automatic! I was lucky enough to have the dealer install an upgraded 3rd gear in my Civic Si for free just before the warranty expired--it got tired of the 8000 rpm shifts; the new gearset feels great ...snick, snick, snick, almost like a clutchless unit--until it breaks again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts