Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently riding around in my car, and someone closed my trunk a little harder than usual, and now the trunk lock won't turn to let me open it. I had to take the back seats out to get the girl's purse out of the trunk, and let me tell you, it was the biggest pain ever. Anyway, changing the lock on the trunk wouldn't be a problem, except there is a firewall-type metal in between the trunk and the back seat that seems like it's welded to the body of the car. There are two small openings which I could fit my hand through to get to the purse to get it out, but other than that, I have no idea how to get back there. My question is, how would I go about removing the old lock and installing a new one, considering I can't open the trunk at all. Also, where would I buy a new lock for the trunk. I have a '69 Nova, if that helps. Any ideas? Thanks!

Love,
Ryan

·
14,588 Posts
You may have to punch or drill it out but first try this. Look into your trunk area from the back seat. You will see below the trunk lid 2 bolts in the middle of the trunk(see picture). Try using a long extension with a socket on it to loosen and remove these bolts. That will loosen the lower part of the trunk lock and you should be able to pull up on the trunk and get it open. Once you get it open you will have to readjust the trunk so it closes tight.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was thinking something like a 8d-10d common nail driven into the end of a broomstick (nail head cut off) should be all it takes to unlatch a trunk lid from the back seat. :confused: I have never seen this done on a '69 (I just looked at my '69 trunk lid) but I have seen it done on plenty of other GM cars. The trick is just to move the hook or detent lever that keeps the trunk lid down. You probably have about an 1/8" diameter of clearance to fit something in there, and then push it to the side. You might need someone to push down a tad on the lid to ease the friction while you attempt this.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
you try jiggiling the hell out of the trunk and then opening it?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not familiar with the 69, but my 76 has a back up light positioned under the trunk lip. If you remove the light ( two phillips head screws ) you can access the lock cylinder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts