Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided that I wanted to re-use the stock 63 column instead of buying a $400 tilt column. Money just was not in the budget. After seeing whats currently available for this mod I decided I did not like the fact that none of the options kept the steering shaft located "in and out" and the shaft still relies on the ancient stock upper bearing in the plastic turn signal switch for supporting the upper part of the shaft.

I cut the shaft at the base of the box to keep the most available for the new u-joint.



After sawing off the base of the column I measured the I.D. of the tube at 1.87"



I went to the local bearing house and found a bearing with a 3/4 I.D and a locking collar, with a 1.86 O.D. and an external snap ring.


I purchased two bearings, one for the bottom and one went as far up the column tube as possible.



Here is the column base, you can see the outer snap ring keeping the bearing from pulling up into the column. You can also see the set screws keeping the shaft locked to the inner race



This scallop is where the new upper bearing stops at and I ran the drill screws in under the bearing to keep it in place. It cannot go up or down at this point and this bearing takes the load off of the tiny upper bearing in the OEM turn signal switch.



Column is complete



New floor plate I made out of some scrap 1/8" steel. Bored a 2" hole and the column fits tight



Done except for welding a couple of tabs on the column to bolt to the floor plate.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Ryan,
Great job! Thanks for posting the pics, that's exactly what I need to do to miy project. Do you mind sharing the bearing part numbers?

Thanks for the help!
Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ryan,
Great job! Thanks for posting the pics, that's exactly what I need to do to miy project. Do you mind sharing the bearing part numbers?

Thanks for the help!
Jeff
Sure its a Timken part# ER12

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,968 Posts
Deadly write Ryan! Thanks this is going help me out HUGE as I'm almost at that point to do mine.

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Very helpful!

I did the same thing with mine but instead of using the bearings, I measured the inner diamater of the colum and bought some round stock of Delrin off of ebay and sliced them like hockey pucks and drilled out the correct diameter holes.

I ended up having to get a new colum becuase of some unrelated damage though.

Nice job.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
Way to "Think outside of the box" Ryan!!
Leftcoast carl:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey glad I could help fellow nova guys with this idea. That's why I posted it up.:yes:

Thanks for all the comments:)

Ryan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
I decided that I wanted to re-use the stock 63 column instead of buying a $400 tilt column. Money just was not in the budget. After seeing whats currently available for this mod I decided I did not like the fact that none of the options kept the steering shaft located "in and out" and the shaft still relies on the ancient stock upper bearing in the plastic turn signal switch for supporting the upper part of the shaft.

I cut the shaft at the base of the box to keep the most available for the new u-joint.



After sawing off the base of the column I measured the I.D. of the tube at 1.87"



I went to the local bearing house and found a bearing with a 3/4 I.D and a locking collar, with a 1.86 O.D. and an external snap ring.


I purchased two bearings, one for the bottom and one went as far up the column tube as possible.



Here is the column base, you can see the outer snap ring keeping the bearing from pulling up into the column. You can also see the set screws keeping the shaft locked to the inner race



This scallop is where the new upper bearing stops at and I ran the drill screws in under the bearing to keep it in place. It cannot go up or down at this point and this bearing takes the load off of the tiny upper bearing in the OEM turn signal switch.



Column is complete



New floor plate I made out of some scrap 1/8" steel. Bored a 2" hole and the column fits tight



Done except for welding a couple of tabs on the column to bolt to the floor plate.

great idea ryan looks like that will work perfect:yes::yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,558 Posts
Great job Ryan!! Did a similar conversion here at the shop a while back for a customer who wanted to keep their stock column. He says it has been working great so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Sweet job, subscribed so I can remember how to do this when I throw in a CBR rack.

I always find great info here on SNS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the comments, gonna use the approx $350 I saved on an AAW complete wiring harness:yes:

BTW you dont need to weld tabs like I am gonna do you could spent 25 bucks on a lower column mount that clamps to the column and bolts to the floor plate. Ididit makes them.
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top