Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I obtained a speedo cluster with a dash bezel I purchased. It had been exposed to dampness so there was surface rust in spots. I got to thinking that since I really could not use it as it was maybe I might consider converting it over to a silver and black layout like the two autometer gagues that I have are.

So I set out to disassemble all of the gague cluster and blast all of the metal parts including where the speed is printed. I then painted it all with white where it was not going to be seen so that it reflected the light well.

I then ordered some vinyl stickers for my gagues. When I got the stickers I matched the color as closely as possible with spray paint (actually had to spray one color and dust with another to get it close).

Put everything back together and I think it turned out nice. It matches my autometer gagues well.

Here is my attempt at a lousy photoshop.

·
Registered
461 Posts
excellent

wow that looks excellent!!!!. where did you get the stickers?
things like this really set one car apart from the typical
nice job :)

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shane65 said:
I'm impressed. Nicely done. That's something most people wouldn't attempt. I to would be interested where the stickers came from.
The reason that I had no quams about trying it is that it was an extra cluster that I would not use in it current condition. So I said what the heck.. Actually had fun finding out how a speedo really works and reseting the milage on the odometer to match the one in the car now.

I got them thru www.whitegauges.net. I just selected the gray background instead of the white.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
i saw somebody do that a few yars ago in a car craft nova...looks good..i have an extra center cluster that i was going to attempt to do that two but never did

did you sand blast the speedo display also, or did you just paint over the original black??

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
strtlegal said:
i saw somebody do that a few years ago in a car craft nova...looks good..i have an extra center cluster that i was going to attempt to do that two but never did

did you sand blast the speedo display also, or did you just paint over the original black??
Yes, I blasted the speedo display because the extra one that I had was lightly rusted. In fact everything got a quick blast before prime and paint.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts