Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been adjusting and shimming all day. I now have .040 on pinion And .009 backlash in 3 spots.
I dont really like the pattern I have. But I cant get a great reading with the supplied grease "marking compound"

To start the last guy had .010 ?? behind the pinion. The old ring looks horrible but never made a sound. And with .010 the pattern looked as bad as you would think. I need to pound in new races and try it again.

What do you think of the pattern and is there a better alternative than the white supplied marking grease.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
hard to tell but it looks like you need to add some pinion shims to pull it away....then recheck...and theres isn't much better to check pattern with....what we do is take a peice of wood (or a drumstick) and apply pressure to the ring gear (kind of jamming it between the ring gear and the housing) while turning the pinion, run it a bunch of times, works good

·
Registered
161 Posts
I used some anti seize paste for a marking compound it worked great.I believe it was permatex brand it was a pretty old bottle and had its own brush it was a silver/grey color an showed the pattern real nice. Good Luck

·
4,539 Posts
what brand gears? also what size diff. Some of the cheaper aftermarket gears will set up like that. If it's a 12 bolt you may have too much shim under it a .031-.033 would be a good starting point. If you go too high on the shimming it will look very strange.

Miles:D

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10 bolt 8.5 richmond. 3;42

I have .050 under the pinion now and it looks good to me.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Did you make sure that you held pressure on the carrier when turned the pinion? That will change the pattern as well.

·
4,539 Posts
Richmonds are pretty good about thier machining and usualy run around .038-.040 BUT there is always that one set that just wants something different. If it looks good run it!

Miles:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts