Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas can somebody please help me out. My 65' is burning up!! I recently dropped a rebuilt 350 in her and am still running the stock radiator. Mind you the radiator is about a year 1/2 old so its in great condition. But I cant take the nova out for 30 mins w/out it overheating! i stop at a light or get stuck behind a few slowpokes and the needle starts climbing from 180-190 to 190- 215/220 reeeeally fast!! so what im asking is after i get this radiator flushed and properly cleaned and the block flushed out would that radiator keep the car cool, especially at cruising speeds or during city driving??:confused: A hot cars no fun when it becomes literal!:(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also can someone suggest a proper degree thermostat? Mind you this radiator is only temp. while i put away for a killer aluminum setup :cool:but i dont see why if properly cleaned, and cap and hoses are changed this thing wouldnt keep me cool. and yes i do have an electric fan but i admit its not doing too great of a job:( Someone please solve my problem before the summer cruising comenses!

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
You indicate that:

(1) Fan is not that great.
(2) Heats up quickly if you are behind someone.

Sounds like a typical air flow problem to me.

If you have room, install a mechanical fan with shroud.

If room is critical, install a puller fan that fits close to the radiator.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
30x19x3 griffin/18" hd flexolite/20x2 alum shroud/160

What he said! I had this problem with my 454 and ended up curing the problem $300 later with a new big rad and cake pan shroud and 160 stat , i still have a secondary pusher fan if needed. Id aleast go with my fan and shroud combo it works good, my temps stay at 170, here is a pic.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
My car would consistently overheat with the stock small block radiator and mechanical fan set up (even shrouded). I had a middle of the road street/strip 355 running high 12's. The car would go up to 225-230 when getting off the highway and about 200 at speed.

I put a big black magic electric fan on it. This got the temps down to about 200 all the time. I still thought that was a little hot. This time, I put a big Griffin aluminum radiator in it. That got the temps down to 140 with the fan going (160 t-stat)! I had to put a 180 t-stat in to get the temp all the way up.

Burp the system first (jack the front of the car up, run the engine up to temp with the rad cap off). Then I'd start with a better electric fan or a mechanical fan. If that doesn't work, then go to the big radiator.

Kev

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys! yea i just cleaned her out this morning and she had some minor clogging so we'll see how she runs now. Im sure it wont be perfect but at least it'll run a little cooler and cleaner. Im almost ready to go with that Be Cool dual fan assembly (cools up to 1000hp!!:eek:) just waiting on a bit more funds in the car projects jar! haha Lets just hope its soon!:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
FWIW I used the stock 6 cyl radiator in my 64 but had a core added so it was a 3 core instead of a 2 core. Now this radiator was wider than the 6 cyl radiator in my 63 wagon. I also used a GM truck 7 blade fan along with the HD fan clutch close to the radiator and I had the A/C spacer between the radiator and the rad support. No shroud. Seemed to work fine. Cooled off all my engines including my 13 to 1 406. Never saw anything over 180 driving around. I'd run a 180 t stat in the winter time and a 160 in the summer.

Don't know if this is true just what I heard but the alum radiators don't cool any better than standard copper/brass ones. They're lighter for sure but I don't know.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ill tell you keep the electric fan and put a 195 thermosat in it. with my dads 72 hes got a aluminm radiator with a 195 thermostat and a 13" puller fan and she never goes above 190 when cruzin but sitting still she goes to about 200-205 but as soon as we start rolling it goes right back down to 180 -185 then when you shut the car off it goes to like 215-220 for a little while since no air flow and no circulation.

Oh yea 1 more thing its a big block car and i think its a 3 core radiator

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
FWIW I used the stock 6 cyl radiator in my 64 but had a core added so it was a 3 core instead of a 2 core. Now this radiator was wider than the 6 cyl radiator in my 63 wagon. I also used a GM truck 7 blade fan along with the HD fan clutch close to the radiator and I had the A/C spacer between the radiator and the rad support. No shroud. Seemed to work fine. Cooled off all my engines including my 13 to 1 406. Never saw anything over 180 driving around. I'd run a 180 t stat in the winter time and a 160 in the summer.

Don't know if this is true just what I heard but the alum radiators don't cool any better than standard copper/brass ones. They're lighter for sure but I don't know.
I put an aluminum radiator in my nova and my temps dropped by 50 degrees. It used to run 210 with the new 3 core brass and I replaced the radiator with a 2 core aluminum and can barely get it over 160 with a 160 degree thermostat. I have a taurus fan and barely need to use it. I have a 414" sbc.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Aluminum dosen't conduct heat as well as copper, but aluminum radiators do cool better because the aluminum is stronger than copper. By being stronger, the tubes can be wider and you have more tube to fin contact to draw the heat out. Plus you can get the better tube to fin contact without the radiator being excessively thick, making airflow thru the radiator better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man you guys are awesome! Thanks to everyone for your help! got her all cleaned up and shes running a little cooler but still heats up rather quick so im just gonna ration my cruises for awhile til i install my new be cool system and we're ready to go! Again, you guys rock! One big nova family!:D:yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts