Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore my interior out last fall for new carpet. From there everything escalated to various upgrades. Didn't get much done after cold set in. Then it was tax season, and every other thing came first. Motivated by work being done on other 4th Gens, I actually am making an attempt to work on it.

New console install required the upgrade of shifter. When I went to reconnect the neutral safety switch and brake lights, I noticed my wire marking had disappeared. Tracing out the wires, I noticed I could use upgrading my hack wiring job. This turned into a three week project, although two hours at a time seemed to be the normal (plus had to get my daughter dispatched on a European trip which I did not get anything done the whole week).

Saturday was hot and I wanted to get up early 6 AM to work before the heat and then I could do office work. Did not stop until 5 PM for an anniversary party. Heat did not seem to bother me as bad as I thought it would.

Here is a picture of my seat installation. Drivers was a pain cause car is so close to wall I cannot access that side.
[/IMG]

I finished cleaning up the floor, then installed the carpet. Does anybody else hate the black tar seam sealer they used?

[/IMG]

Sunday after church was spent doing my office work. Was going to attempt more on Sunday evening, but took daughter to play in the water.

Hopefully I can carve out some more time this week, as weekend will be spent working at the Motorcycle Hill Climb.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks great, can we get more pictures of the center console? what is that console and seats from?
Seats are Procar Sportsmans. Not first choice. I wanted some leather ones out of a 01 or newer Monte Carlo but could not find any locally. Modifying my Cavalier seats was pretty spendy. I was afraid these looked like rice too much, but I really wasn't excited about any others either.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The console is out of an 03 Monte Carlo I got off ebay. I looked at a lot of pictures, and I thought it would work with my V-Matic shifter but there was too much travel. The Magnum Grip Street Bandit fits pretty good. I just got a stock plate that goes around the shifter from an 05 Impala. They do not have the indicator in the plate.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Console to dash close ups. I did repaint the metal, but I have two chips not being careful enough.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Driver's seat installed.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
998 Posts
Nova1975, I also mounted a set of Procar seats in my Nova. They are the grey and black ones. I noticed that you used the brackets that came with the seats. One thing I didn't like about those brackets is how high it sits you in the car. My head almost touched the roof and I'm a short guy ( 5' 8"). How close to the roof are you sitting using those brackets?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have long legs and short body, I brag that if my upper body would have grown like my legs, I'd played the NBA :D. I'm guessing I have 4" clearance.

That is one of the reasons I have been taking so long. I had brackets all set up for my other buckets that I wanted to be able to set any seat on them and not have to cut new holes in my carpet. When I set these seats on them, I almost touched the roof. I pulled out my fancy brackets and the door side is pretty much setting on the floor except for an angle bracket. If I do not like the ride height, I will cut the bracket that come with the seat to lower it.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Close-ups of the console make me think that it's a great fit, given how close the top of the console is to the bottom of the dash.

Now I wonder how it would look with some manual trans shifters or even a Lokar shifter for automatics.

·
Registered
998 Posts
That's what I did. I cut the bracket to lower it. I still sit high and there really isn't anymore that I can cut off to lower it anymore, but oh well.

Your car is coming along. I like the interior work you've done. Keep up the good work!! :yes:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody for the compliments.

I worked at motorcycle hill climb all weekend and then had to go pick up my daughter from her European trip so haven't had much progress.

I put the ashtray and glove box in tonight. Then I starting installing my gauge panel. I did not want to cut my original so I had bought another. The bottom holes do not line up so I will need to redrill.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The white faced gauges look great! I am thinking seriously about adding them to my 77. Great looking car!
Thanks.

I didn't have to redrill holes in bottom after all - sometimes it's best to think things over. I loosened top screws and lined up the bottom ones. I connected power to check my bulbs. My new LED's are polarized and I have more than half backwards. I can reach the right side, but need to remove to get to left side.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All lights working. Disappointed on how bright they are, but maybe will be better when darker. I have a blinker light staying on when lights are on for some reason.

[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 68 Posts