Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so far here are my plans for my '65. The front suspension is pretty much the 46' speedway straight axle kit with disks.

The rear will be a 9' with disks that I am having cut down right now and putting strange axles and whatnot in. Going to build either a 4 link or ladder bar setup. Mini tubs so I can get some meat in there. Also going to radius the rear wheel lips. ( Going to need advice on that)

I have a set of old slotted mags and a set of drag stars with BFG drag radials already on.

Full cage, no interior other than aluminum panels and RCI seats with harnesses. Oh I am keeping the original working AM stereo in as well. :)

As for the engine... for now I will go with a hot small block. (I WILL shoe horn my 396 in there one day) I am going with a mechanical cam set up. No roller anything. Flat tops with modded vortec heads from Jegs. I have a old school tunnel ram off a ex drag car that has been swiss cheesed up. It looks cool and would definately fill the nostalgia look I am trying trying to get. Although I have a chance to get a Littlefield 14-71 huffer for a great price right now. I feel that would be over kill for the SB though.
Either my PG or TH 350/400 for the trans. May switch over to a manual if I can find a good 4 speed. Last one I bought ended up being a granny low 4 spd and I wasn't excited at all.

Fender well headers with probably 1 chamber flowmasters since I have a few in the shop.

I may run a cowl hood or no hood at all. I may just hack a hole in my stock hood. But my hood is riddled with rust. The only rusty thing on the car really.
Putting a fuel cell and the battery in the truck and I have a spun aluminum nitro tank for the front. (Just for looks)

The car is going to be satin black with little to no chrome or shine. Dark windows.

I am open to any ideas that you guys have. I need some fresh ones. Right now I am trying to go as nostalgic as I can without sacraficing alot of safety.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas/hints guys?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if anyone has parts let me know. I am always interested in spare things since I have a great habit of breaking everything. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Sounds good. The nasty mechanical cam, and a tunnel ram or blower would be cool. I also like the old style blue windows, or orange would be cool looking with the satin black paint. If I put my car on the street, I would go with some orange plexiglass side windows. I'm prejudiced towards 4-speeds also, because thats what I run. You can do the radius job by cutting some slots in the wheel well, and using a piece of 5/32" round stock around the perimeter to keep the edges with a nice radius. I personally do all my panel welding with a TIG torch, and then hammer weld. It keeps the filler to a minimum.Chroming the tube axle is also a nice touch. Send a pm if I can be of any help. Here's a couple of shots of my car.

Cheers,
Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas and tips man! I never thought about the colored plexiglass. That would be pretty sweet! Are you running lexan? What brand of header is that?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
A cowl hood is too modern. A cut out stock would be my first choice and totally open my second. The opened wheel wells are cool, but a lot the cars in the day fit the slicks within the stock opening. Also, not a big fan of drag radials on a gasser, but it would probably drive better.

If you have not seen it yet, the new Hot Rod has an article on street gassers including three Chevy IIs

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can't stop reading about those straight axle cars in Hot Rod this month! The hot rodder that lived up the street from me when I was a kid had a straight axle Willys and a 55 Chevy. I have never forgotten how cool the mile high stance of those cars was!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Bruce said:
A cowl hood is too modern. A cut out stock would be my first choice and totally open my second. The opened wheel wells are cool, but a lot the cars in the day fit the slicks within the stock opening. Also, not a big fan of drag radials on a gasser, but it would probably drive better.

If you have not seen it yet, the new Hot Rod has an article on street gassers including three Chevy IIs
I'll have to pick that up.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
65 100 cdan said:
I can't stop reading about those straight axle cars in Hot Rod this month! The hot rodder that lived up the street from me when I was a kid had a straight axle Willys and a 55 Chevy. I have never forgotten how cool the mile high stance of those cars was!
The 66 that I have WAS the car that the guy had down the street. He had it in 73 for a summer and sold it. I found it in a back yard of a town about 30 miles away in 79 and bought it (minus eng, trans, and interior) Had it all these years, and in the last 5 yrs putting it back together. I''ll have to post the picture of us pulling out of the back yard with my buddys black 375/396 Nova SS!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
65GASSER said:
Thanks for the ideas and tips man! I never thought about the colored plexiglass. That would be pretty sweet! Are you running lexan? What brand of header is that?
I'm running a lexan windshield, and side windows. The headers are Headman Hustlers, which are pretty decent, but I will be building a custom set of wheel well headers with some different dimensions soon.
Here's a shot of a Pontiac with the colored windows. Very cool car.

Bill

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have to get the Hot Rod mag also..

Here is a pic of mine,, It has an old truck I-beam axle, 4" drop.. I had to block it to get it back up where i wanted it.. It's on hold right now do to my wife being sick.. Hope to get back on it asap..

Good luck with yours..:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome. I am liking the colored windows more and more. I have decided to go with a 4 spd or 5 spd if I can not locate a 4spd. I'm still going to radius the rears and run the drag radials. Just because I have them and would rather shred them than have them dry rot in the shop. Still going to be Satin Black with no interior.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts