Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded my fuel system on my car. I had a sump welded onto the bottom of my gas tank, then -8AN Fuel line. My neighbor sold me the AN fittings I needed for 1/4 the cost of new fittings.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm still trying to work some bugs out, the car runs good thru first and second gear, but once in third it will start to pull then the RPM's drop and it wants to stall. I think I need to jet up

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm still trying to work some bugs out, the car runs good thru first and second gear, but once in third it will start to pull then the RPM's drop and it wants to stall. I think I need to jet up
I've been out of tuning game so long, I hope I'm not asking dumb questions.
There are probably a bunch of people in the performance section that could answer you question better than I.

Have you always had this issue?
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge inside?
How old is the pump?
How big is your carb?
Does your Holley have 50CC accelerator pump?
Doe the Napa filter have enough volume capacity for your requirement?
Do you have a rev limiter? Is so can you use a lot higher chip to see if current one is bad or too low?

Hope these aren't dumb questions. I also read where somebody (not necessary a Nova) had issues with sump in a stock tank and stock baffles blocking pickup.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have no fuel gauge inside, the carb is a 850 race carb with 50cc pump and annular boosters. I have always had the Napa filter, and now I wonder if that's my problem. And I know it's not the rev limiter chip because it allows me to go all the way thru first and second gears before it starts to stall and buck untill I let off the gas.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A guy at work thinks it might be the filter. But if that's not the problem he thinks my carb may be too small.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Is the pressure gauge on the engine permanent or could you extend it outside maybe in the cowl hood temp? If not anybody you know have one you could borrow? What RPM you shifting at? Carb might be borderline. I often wonder if that was my top end problem. I lined up next to my friend who run about .5 quicker than I. We were pretty much even till 3rd gear and he started to pull me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The pump is mounted above the outlet of the tank.Could be an issue.Without a gauge it is hard to tell if it is starving for fuel on the top end

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would try relocating the filter. That pump pushes very well, but really needs a good gravity feed as it doesn't suck well.

The other thing I would look at is your regulator. I run two of those on my dual quad setup. It's funny to run 1/2" line all of the way, then let the little orifice on the inlet of the regulator choke things down. Not very scientific, just my opinion on those regulators.

How much pressure are you running?

·
Registered
517 Posts
That is fine for the street, but I would run at least 9lbs at the track. Holley says the needle valve is good for 13 lbs. Are you running the Moroso spring in the fuel pump? I forget what the pump will produce with the stock spring.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I was playing with my regulator, I got the pump to put out 15psi. I think I am going to track down a perma-cool filter, thats what the housing is, and they flow up to 25gpm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts