Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 1976 Concours Hatchback about two weeks ago. Its a great car, with the small straight 6 engine. Not that much power, but still a great daily driver. when I bought the car it said 91,100 miles, but the odometer doesn't hit the 100's, so its a mystery. I was hoping for some input about the car, do it yourself type projects to clean the car up and maintain its healthy state. I just changed the spark plugs, oil filter, air filter, all fluids (washer, brakes, oil, coolant) the simple easy stuff has been taken care of. Now the next part is learning as I go along I suppose. Also if anyone has a concours hatchback, where the parts at yo?!
Again any input and help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good luck on finding ne parts. Glad to see another 4th gen and.its original. If its not in bad bad shape I'd say u have 91000 original miles. I doubt a original straight 6 would make it past 191000 lol. I do have some parts what are you looking for

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. Congratulations on getting your Nova!

Sounds like you're off to a good start by replacing all the fluids, etc. But as far as "what's next": what do you want to do? Keeping it stock or modifying it? Did you lube the front end suspension? Get or borrow a grease gun and look for all the grease fittings (upper & lower ball joints, steering linkage, etc.) Are there any broken parts that need to be replaced? What is the condition of the paint and interior?

I don't think Concours hatchbacks were all too common and there may be some parts that possibly could be hard to find. But keep an eye on eBay for 75-79 Nova parts if you're looking for something specific, or ask here- maybe someone has a parts car.

Oh, and let me be the first to say "post photos!" People here like pics. :yes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my 1976 Concours Hatchback about two weeks ago. Its a great car, with the small straight 6 engine. Not that much power, but still a great daily driver. when I bought the car it said 91,100 miles, but the odometer doesn't hit the 100's, so its a mystery. I was hoping for some input about the car, do it yourself type projects to clean the car up and maintain its healthy state. I just changed the spark plugs, oil filter, air filter, all fluids (washer, brakes, oil, coolant) the simple easy stuff has been taken care of. Now the next part is learning as I go along I suppose. Also if anyone has a concours hatchback, where the parts at yo?!
Again any input and help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

I had a 76 concours hatchback with buckets and I am looking for one. Does yours have buckets? Think the one I had will be about impossible to find.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Concours

I own a 76 nova concours but its not a hatchback I always wanted a 4th gen nova 75 or 76 and senior yr in hs 2yrs ago I would drive a 07 brand new yukon and my dad went out and bought me a nova I left the yukon and started driving my nova right away all my friend would laugh thats how I got my nova concours thanks dad :)

About my nova : it originally came with a 5.0 305 I changed that to a 350 EFI off of a 90 suburban with an overdrive tranny I love my car but now the tranny is messed up so instead of fixin it im gonna go ahead and change the engine and tranny and go with an ls2 or ls3 I havent painted my car yet thats last im keeping the car original exterior and interior only changing engine and tranny and stuff like that

I went racing when my tranny was good you can find the videos on youtube: 76Nova vs 04Mustang GT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys

Thanks so much for the replies. I've heard of lubing the front end but have yet to do that, so thank you, its now on my to do list. The car visually is nothing special, minor rust spots and the carpet and seats need to be redone. But all in all its a great car. Im hoping to keep it as stock as I can. All the hard to find concours parts are there surprisingly, NC lights, emblems (including the "hatchback" emblem on both sides), and hood ornament of course. The engine is the 250 straight 6, after reading about the engines i found it might be easy to squeeze some more power from it, while maintaining its life. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
I actually just got some more information about the car from the 2nd owner (i am the 4th) they bought the nova from there friends grandmother who drove it for groceries and church. Put 15,000 on the car the first 20 years! From there it climbed up to 60,000 where the 3rd owner bought it. And myself at 91,000, Hopefully the 100k mark isn't going to be a fixer upper stage.
Parts I know and need are suspension, seats, weatherstripping, carpet, and maybe the brakes need to be looked at, but so far it seem like minor work. Costly, but minor.
I also had a question. On my dash, next to my speedometer is what looks like a clock, but there are no hands, let alone a hole for the hands to be fashioned to. I dont understand the functionality of this thing, it makes no sense to me. Thank you again for your responses, I look forward to my new project. I will hopefully get some pictures posted up soon, maybe after the next wash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts