Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I've owned several Novas over the years but my latest 63 I just bought sit's 1" lower looking from the back at the Lt side. Both single leaf springs look fairly new, not rusted and has air shocks in good working order...Mostly stock back there and all rust free underneath.... I can tell the slant at a distance and it bugs me...Thoughts please...I weight 160 so it's not me...

Can one leaf spring loose tension...? The guy that owned it originally was a Big Ole country boy...

Thanks...Bob

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I’d take a good look at the front suspension and see that everything is in good shape there. Pay attention to the springs and perches. Make sure the coil springs are seated properly.. the rear leafs have a fairly solid fit spring rate so they will readily conform to what the front is doing.

This pic shows how much articulation the rear axle is compensating for the uneven ground I’m parked on. The driver side rear wheel is stuffed up into the well way deeper then it normally is on level ground. If the perch bushing is shot or gone or the spring has slipped off of the perch it could make the car list to one side and the rear would conform to that imbalance.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Your car looks rather low on the left rear, but you didn't show the right rear.

When my 67 sat crooked, it looked like a possible problem on the rear, but it was actually a problem with one of the front spring perches that bolt to the upper control arm. They have a rubber/metal bushing not unlike a control arm bushing. One was shot, the other not so bad. New perches evened out the ride height front and back.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Your car looks rather low on the left rear, but you didn't show the right rear.

When my 67 sat crooked, it looked like a possible problem on the rear, but it was actually a problem with one of the front spring perches that bolt to the upper control arm. They have a rubber/metal bushing not unlike a control arm bushing. One was shot, the other not so bad. New perches evened out the ride height front and back.
The suspension is articulated because the ground I’m parked on is high on the passenger side front and driver side rear. The driver side rear wheel is doing the majority of the compensation for the ground surface. The rear wheel is not that deep in the well on more even surfaces.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts