Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally finished getting the heart in the car. It was the longest 3 days and nights ever but it was fun:eek:
The motor is a 5.7 liter vortec out of 1999 silverado. I purchased it as a long block with some trick vortec heads from a friend of a friend for $400:yes:.
Due to not having a camera at the time I dont have build pics of the motor, but it was in decent shape, just super filthy. just had to ball hone the cylinder walls, new rings and bearings. The crank was straight and solid. here are some specs...
Heads: vortecs, 1.94" intake, 1.50" exhaust, 64cc fast burn chambers, 170 cc intake length, ported and polished.
Cam. Schneider racing cam duration 278-282. duration at .050" 216-220. .510 lift. 110 lobe seperation.
Intake/ carb. Edelbrok rpm air gap. holley 650 dp
Exhuast. Flow tech 1.5" ceramic coated headers. 3 inch back to 14" magnaflows then 2.5" out. with x pipe. Done by Ed Hanson
Trans. Th 350 with all [email protected] stuff in it.
Now some pics...

The old six

The motor on the test stand.

six out

This is what happens when you have a free HEI unit and it doesn't want to fit... You call Brian and let him notch the firewall 2" This guy is an amazing fabricator and Luckly he is my good friend and room mate.

Brian filling holes.

Getting ready for primer and paint.

Primer done.
I forgot to take a picture after paint, I was to exited to shoe horn the motor in.

The super clean notched firewall. That little triangle piece is like that to clear the windshield wiper arm.

1:30 am. My dog was telling me it was time for bed.

Finally in and done!:yes:

I will try to get some video of the car soon. It sounds mean! I love magnaflows not too loud, but not quiet. Thanks for all the info guys. I learned a lot from this site and it helped me out alot!
keep it sleezy,
matt

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha yeah I would have probably been searching for that hammer if I didn't have brian around to do that fab work. I am not the best at welding sheet metal. Thanks for the comments guys.:)

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Does your motor keep a constant temp. without a fan shroud?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Nice work, it looks factory and a whole lot better than hammering the hell out of the firewall.
no need to beat the wall just use an msd probillet distributer, 6al box, msd coil,and plugwires and you can leave the firewall to the hackers :yes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does your motor keep a constant temp. without a fan shroud?
yeah so far. I have not been stuck in too much traffic yet. I have 160 t stat and the hottest it got was 180. I will be installing a electric once I find one I like.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no need to beat the wall just use an msd probillet distributer, 6al box, msd coil,and plugwires and you can leave the firewall to the hackers :yes:
That I know, but when you are low on founds and have A FREE unit you do what you have to do. All it cost to notch the firewall was dinner. Even the piece of sheet metal was free. Plus its just another cool different detail to my car.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
That I know, but when you are low on founds and have A FREE unit you do what you have to do. All it cost to notch the firewall was dinner. Even the piece of sheet metal was free. Plus its just another cool different detail to my car.
yeah no argument there i do like your mod to the fire wall i went the other route................... bfh :no: stupid on my part :yes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice work...looks great. Did you have any clearance issues with the Flowtech hedders?
No They fit perfect! That was big concern, But they worked out good. I wanted to go with 1 7/8 headers, and Im glad I couldn't afford them cause I think I would have had issues then. I picked up those flowtech's on craigslist brand new in the box for $125 I couldn't pass it up.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts