Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Its getting there but its been a scratching screaming fight since I got it. Floor had to be replaced (wasnt planned), Wiring was hacked, cut, scotch locked, and then finally tried to burn itself up. Rear needed replaced/rebuilt. Everytime I spent "planned money" on it, it got mad and something else went wrong. It has ONLY left me on the side of the road once. (fuel pump went out but I dont think it was the pumps fault. Previous owner had fuel line routed in a loop that got pinched and closed at fuel tank strap.) I guess I need some pushing/motivation to keep it going. Im getting tired of working on this thing with items that Im not initiating myself.:mad:
By the way, HOOKSUP2's wagon is the one Ive always looked back to and trying emulate. Wheels are 15X7's with 225/50/15's up front and 225/60/15's in the rear, no rubbing at all

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
those kind of thing just happen. on my Chevelle, things kept breaking one by one til everything was brand new. first the motor went, then the trans, front suspension, rear end, brakes, wiring. you name it. You can't get discouraged:no: just park it and take a break from it if you need to:yes: DON'T SELL IT!!!!!!!:no::no::no:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are you nuts? That wagon is gorgeous. So what you have to replace things now and then. At least you know it's done right and will work for you. You're getting to know the car one piece at a time, and that's OK. Don't give-up. If you want to see something scary... come to my house and I'll show you a REAL nightmare!!! My '66 is in pieces all over my house/basement and garage. But, one piece at a time, it's looking newer and newer.

DW

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Youre right about new parts

Its just that its been the last few weeks that has added up. As soon as something is good and I can drive it to work again, something else happens.
In the previous months it has had installed, Church Boys front end with sway bar (waiting for funds to finish with a new column) Rebuilt rear with Eaton posi, Moser axles and all bearings replaced. I finished pulling all the interior out when I get rid of all the cobbled wiring and found all the scotch locked jumper wires. For those of you with wiring issues PLEASE DONT BAND AID THEM rant off.......................

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
Its just that its been the last few weeks that has added up. As soon as something is good and I can drive it to work again, something else happens.
In the previous months it has had installed, Church Boys front end with sway bar (waiting for funds to finish with a new column) Rebuilt rear with Eaton posi, Moser axles and all bearings replaced. I finished pulling all the interior out when I get rid of all the cobbled wiring and found all the scotch locked jumper wires. For those of you with wiring issues PLEASE DONT BAND AID THEM rant off.......................
I think you should just give up on it and sell it...................to me....:D

I'll give you a fair price.......I promise......:devil:

Stay the course man, it's all good. Believe it or not, my car was the same. Yeah it looks real good, but underneath the previous owner did the same kind of stuff, I started out doing the Church R&P, and wound up the same way. New oil pan, pump...tranny started out as a fluid change, pulled the driveshaft and you could rotate the yoke about half way around...the wiring...definite fire hazard......need I go on.

On the other side, I now know that when I go out for a cruise, I have a high level of confidence that it will stay together...yeah some small things might break, but that's to be expected.

Sounds like you have the major issues behind you, so hang in there. Park her for a few days, and you'll be back out there before long with the hood up thinking...what do I need to do next..its addicting I tell ya......you have a very nice looking wagon, drive it till the tires fall off...

T,

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wiring is something that should be #1 on anyone's list for replacements. An old car like ours has bound to have had some idiot screw with the wiring at one point or another. Bad wires = Big fires. Think positive... it's all getting done and new!

In the words of 'Eight-ball'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

:D

All the best brother Long Roofer!

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Wagon

Adam, sorry to hear you're having problems.
I like the look with the Welds.
Hang in there.
Ken

·
Vendor
4,068 Posts
because of what you are going thru, this is why they call it a "labor of love". You have more than a lot of guys could only dream of:yes: Take a break, refresh yourself and the next thing you know you will be loading up the family for an ice cream run.

·
0 Posts
because of what you are going thru, this is why they call it a "labor of love". You have more than a lot of guys could only dream of:yes: Take a break, refresh yourself and the next thing you know you will be loading up the family for an ice cream run.
A voice of reason:yes:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys

Im currently on my "break" at the Disneyland hotel and already ready too get back to working on the interior that Plumrat did the surgery on. Paint stripper and wire wheels here I come, Por 15 and sound deadener are my friend:yes:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just goes to show, if you're not breaking it, you're not driving it!

Slowly and surely you will get the kinks worked out. Then it will
make the things you planned on doing go that much smoother.

Scott

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds like we are in the same boat.

I was just going to "get it through" the short season in MN and it turned into new tires, CPP kit, rebuilt upper arms, disc brakes.

I kick myself for not just buying Teddisnokes wagon, and just driving it, but then who would fix mine?

Now the driveshaft is hitting the floor and I too need a break. It's never ending. I do feel fortunate to have something, just wish I could drive it a little. :)

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I feel your pain fellow wagoneer! I've been slowly sorting mine out for over 2 yrs... front disc & all new brakes/lines, front end rebuild, carb rebuild, interior, shocks, weatherstripping, radio... and am having fun driving it now! It's truly a labor of love and getting to know every system, nut bolt, wire.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think you mean Oddball. :yes:

Whoops! You're right! Oddball. He was the only character in that movie I didn't care to see. I liked it, but it didn't belong in that era.

Funny stuff though, and it no doubt it applies to all of us restoring cars! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts