Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to start with I have cpp lower arm kit with global west billet upper shafts and poly bushings. Nothing seems to bind but for some reason when my car rolls forward the car lifts about 6 inches (even when pushed in neutral) and lowers back down normal in reverse. I also have 2" Mcgaughy spindles and wonder if the tie rod should mount with nut on bottom instead of on top like factory. The car sat too low so I made a 1/2 spacer between the upper arm and the spring perch. Would this be the problem? I'm pulling my hair out from this and I'm getting older and don't have much to start with. Any advice would be helpful. Also have an afco sway bar

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
I would think that the !/2" spacers may be your problem , did this situation happen before you put the spacers in :confused:
Craig

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car sits to low to see. It hits my tires. Would a spacer on top the spring be better.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
One piece drop spindles are not the best choice and have known issues.I honestly think due to the changes you have made the toe is out of spec.Our style of front end is very sensitive to this.Set the toe as cloes to "0" as possible and see how it looks then.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
pull out the spacer and get the correct back space wheel....what is your back space now?do you have disc brakes?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
OH Bruce read the OP:eek:

Not wheel spacers
I know not wheel spacer...the reason he put the spacers is cause his tires hit because he put 2" drop spindles in there.....if he pulls out the spring spacers and gets the correct back space wheels......his tires wont hit anymore....I have 2" drop spindles with the correct bs wheels...my tires dont hit:no:

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
It was my understanding the OP was aking a front end question not a tire rubbing question.This is where I got confused with your comment.If the ride height on our cars changes even slightly the toe in is effected the more the change the more its effected.The drop spindles are likely slightly different dimensionaly compounding his problem.Have to wait until he chimes back in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i can set the toe perfect drive 20 yards and it will change an inch or so. I set the align at home and drove about 1700 miles then had an align put on and this started. I have disc brakes and 18x8 boss 338 wheels with 225 35 18 tire. Will try to pozt pics tomorrow. Thanks for all the feed back. I love this site!!

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Yeah i can set the toe perfect drive 20 yards and it will change an inch or so. I set the align at home and drove about 1700 miles then had an align put on and this started. I have disc brakes and 18x8 boss 338 wheels with 225 35 18 tire. Will try to pozt pics tomorrow. Thanks for all the feed back. I love this site!!
18x8 is huge up front...what is the back space on those wheels?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4.5 I think. I had to work the fenders to fit and clear fine when it only tucks about .5" of tire. It tucks 1" without the spacers. I need 18 x 7 but hate to buy new set of wheels and I had 1" spacers to start and drove for about a month. The spacer my be the problem but I don't see how. Please explain if you think it is so I can wrap my head around it. I may try a round spacer above the spring if you think it would work better (if lifting the perch higher is causing this).

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
The problem is not the spacers. It is the procedure prior to the alignment. I would be willing to bet that the alignment shop is lifting the front of the car to install the wheel sensor and then the zero them....when they set the front end back down the wheels do not return to their natural resting position, the tech then set the toe to your desired numbers and he is done. You then drive the car 10 feet and the suspension settles to where it should be and your toe is all out of whack! Since you have those particular spindles the effect is worse.

When doing alignments the front end must be lifted via the lower ball joint area so that the suspension stays loaded while the wheels are off the ground.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
X2 on what Chuck is saying. Were the suspension arms and stabilizer bar tightened with car in the air or on the ground? What is the angle of the tie rods? Also a possibilty is the rear springs are worn out and the car is squating excessively. I really think the tie rods are at to steep of an angle. Causing the 6" rise when you drive the car forward. RICK

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I loosened everything and then tightened back up with the car sitting down hill, drive the car with the toe done with a tape and be 1" off 20 ft down the rode. It does have some neg camber would that cause this. I did not think so but...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Approx how much neg camber? What is the angle of the tie rods with car sitting at ride height? RICK

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I want to start with I have cpp lower arm kit with global west billet upper shafts and poly bushings. Nothing seems to bind but for some reason when my car rolls forward the car lifts about 6 inches (even when pushed in neutral) and lowers back down normal in reverse. I also have 2" Mcgaughy spindles and wonder if the tie rod should mount with nut on bottom instead of on top like factory. The car sat too low so I made a 1/2 spacer between the upper arm and the spring perch. Would this be the problem? I'm pulling my hair out from this and I'm getting older and don't have much to start with. Any advice would be helpful. Also have an afco sway bar
How could a car lift by just pushing it Forward ? Are the front brakes binding,or the sway bar to tight in the bushings , even I am confused ? There would have to be something binding ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me go and take some pics. I loosened the sway bar, that is where I thought my problem was first.,

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
My Front end is acting crazy. Please Help!!!

Hey Now... I viewed the pictures, I see tie rod angles, spacers and shims that are all wrong. The two suggestions I have are: Go Back to Stock Height Spindle, or convert to Rack and Pinion front steering system. It appears that you have the proper bend in the lower arms to make switch to Chevette Rack & Pinion. Others will Pop In and be able to help... Pictures speak volumes... Respectfully, "Bill's" II :):):)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts