Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well tonight was my first night out to the dragstrip as a racer. I got there early, about 6:15 and the gates were already open. I went to tech, I need to get the antifreeze out of the car before next time, then get something better than a stock battery clamp. I went to get my run card, then by 6:30 the lanes were open. Here is my ghetto coolant setup:eek::rolleyes::D:

Here are my times. I came home after the 4th time because I heard a snap at the finish. I will check it out tomorrow though. Really crappy reaction times.

First run:
Reaction: .5195
60ft: 2.5220
1/8ET: 10.3801
1/8MPH: 68.20
Second run:
Reaction: .7483
60ft: 2.4338
1/8ET: 10.2449
1/8MPH: 69.19
Third run:
Reaction: .6073
60ft: 2.4299
1/8ET: 10.3815
1/8MPH: 67.79
Fourth and final run:
Reaction: .6133
60ft: 2.4112
1/8ET: 10.2603
1/8MPH: 69.32

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
Looks great. Next time leave on the last yellow. Your 60 ft times got better as the day went on. Footbraking is a learned skill.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great. Next time leave on the last yellow. Your 60 ft times got better as the day went on. Footbraking is a learned skill.
Well I am not sure footbraking would help as this car sits. I have done it at traffic lights but the motor bogs down really bad. Need to change my jets and do some adjustments.

Oh btw, REPODUDE(via facebook) guessed 10.24 as my best time! Ha!:D

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
good job super im curious how they knew you had antifreeze in the radiator as for a battery hold down , maybe look at putting it in the trunk passenger side rear of car in an approved battery box like this one from www.jegs.com (prt# 555-10230 74.99 ) your gonna need cables and a master disconnect switch as well. see your not even going fast and your already gonna need to spend some cash

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
wow your track is strict i run antifreeze in my radiator i have over 30 passes and tech has never asked about that. must be different at other tracks. :yes:
well anyways good job see it aint to bad anyone try to help you. dont ever be affraid to ask a guy with a real fast car questions drag racers will help other drag racers :yes:

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
It you overheat, blow a hose, or the cap they'll know it's not water in the radiator! You are better running straight water on race day, although I don't think that is the best thing to do for daily driving. Over time a cast iron block makes water red, and it's not a good or pretty kind of red.:no:

Congrats on your first runs!!! Other than napping on the line, it seems you did pretty well!!:clap::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It you overheat, blow a hose, or the cap they'll know it's not water in the radiator! You are better running straight water on race day, although I don't think that is the best thing to do for daily driving. Over time a cast iron block makes water red, and it's not a good or pretty kind of red.:no:

Congrats on your first runs!!! Other than napping on the line, it seems you did pretty well!!:clap::thumbsup:
Yeah pretty much. They just refinished the whole track not too long ago(2008) and antifreeze "is the hardest thing to clean" so yep. Don't know if I will have another chance to race soon though. I usually always work on Friday nights.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
wow your track is strict i run antifreeze in my radiator i have over 30 passes and tech has never asked about that. must be different at other tracks. :yes:

Racing with anti-freeze in the radiator...Is kinda fun until your run over 3 gallons of it mixed with 7 quarts of synthetic oil coming through the finishline.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Racing with anti-freeze in the radiator...Is kinda fun until your run over 3 gallons of it mixed with 7 quarts of synthetic oil coming through the finishline.
You would most likely would have had the same or simular results with 3 gallons of water and 7 quarts of oil.:eek:

How goes the re-building process with that? Going to be ready by next year?
It's done now with the lights pointing up (and the front wheels).:yes:

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm231/romanjello2/?action=view&current=036-1.flv

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Both my cars seem to run as cool or better on "Water Wetter" Most guys I know use it.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I forgot to say...

I am glad you had a good time, and you are hooked because you are already planning for the next time out.:yes:

·
Registered
996 Posts
First run:
Reaction: .5195
60ft: 2.5220
1/8ET: 10.3801
1/8MPH: 68.20
Second run:
Reaction: .7483
60ft: 2.4338
1/8ET: 10.2449
1/8MPH: 69.19
Third run:
Reaction: .6073
60ft: 2.4299
1/8ET: 10.3815
1/8MPH: 67.79
Fourth and final run:
Reaction: .6133
60ft: 2.4112
1/8ET: 10.2603
1/8MPH: 69.32
what is a perfect light at your track, at our local track it's a .500
if that is the case i don't think any of your RT are bad, especially for the first time out. i mean you won't be winning any holeshots with a .600, but .1 second isn't very long.

your 1/4 mile time would be about a 16 flat.

now fix all the stuff you need to fix and try to work on the 60' and RT
also try to figure out why you are bogging if you footbrake.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts

ouch sorry for that i run antifreeze cause i drive it to the track what would work in my motor other than antifreeze. i dont want to run strait water cause i have an iron block with aluminum heads i did that lasttime and i had pits in my water passages on the heads from running strait water i dont want to be at fault for a mishap like yours and i would hate to be in your shoes i dont want to cause anything like that either

1 - 20 of 23 Posts