Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to cut out some rust and weld back in a few panels. After alot of debating I finally decided to just do it. wasn't as bad as I thought but the welding is really time consuming. In the pics I haven't finished with the filler. thats just the first layer of dyna glass. Any critiquing would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
No bad for your first time. I give you credit for actually welding in new metal. Some try to skip that step and end up with unsatisfactory results.

A small point but worth noting for future projects is how patch panels are shaped and formed. Try to avoid 90 degree corners on your patch panels. It will improve your chances of getting the metal as straight as possible reducing the amount of filler needed. Here is an example with the patch having rounded corners.

Square (rectangle) shaped side marker light.

Patch formed with rounded corners.

After full welding, hammer & dolly work, grinding, metal finishing and two step metal treatment. Note how the phosphoric acid metal treatment shows the difference between the weld filler metal deposited and the original parent metal.

Steve

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Now the real fun

It looks like you have a great start. Now the sealing and high build primer will get you the finish that really makes your work look good. It's a bit time consuming, and a decent set of blocks is really helpful. Then sand and fill, clean repeat until the highs & lows are flattened out. This is where a repair goes from okay to I can't see where there was a problem. You Tube is a great resource for how to's.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Good start Slova.
90 degree corners on the patches make no difference, you'll be fine.
TechNova, being a former ASE certified master mechanic myself I took up body work as a hobby after I changed careers. My experience pales in comparison to yours. Being only a student of metal bumping, that rounded corner tip was passed on to me and just I thought I would share it. I have put in plenty of square corner patches and you are right, they work just fine. I have found it easier to get the surface closer to a “no filler needed” condition with the rounded corners. Take it for what it’s worth, it’s just a suggestion.

Steve

·
5,145 Posts
TechNova, being a former ASE certified master mechanic myself I took up body work as a hobby after I changed careers. My experience pales in comparison to yours. Being only a student of metal bumping, that rounded corner tip was passed on to me and just I thought I would share it. I have put in plenty of square corner patches and you are right, they work just fine. I have found it easier to get the surface closer to a “no filler needed” condition with the rounded corners. Take it for what it’s worth, it’s just a suggestion.

Steve
Nothing wrong with rounded corners, my point was that the OP doesn't need to worry about what he did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts