Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had this Chevy II since 1998 and even sold it a couple of times. But it always comes back to me.

The last time I actualy drove it, was about 2 years ago. I was racing it in the NMCA over at Indy.
I had a Blast, went a few rounds in Open Comp and lost to the eventual winner.

Before then, it was raced at my local track and driven to some cruise ins and car shows.

Well after the race in Indy, I figured I would like to have more HP, but without running Race gas. I also saw some cool cars over there and the majority of the faster ones were running EFI. I knew I could make good power with E85 and an EFI set up so thats the direction I went.

I knew I would need more fuel, so I found a deal on these.

Why have so many gauges spread out, when I can have them all in one place.

---Cont.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been in this industry for 23 years and I know who NOT take my car to to get Fab work done. Im sure you all have heard of Chassis Hell and Paintshop Jail.
So fast forward to last year. I found these 2 up and comers, Jason & Brad of Tin Soldier Racecars. These guys are young, motivated and very great guys!

https://www.facebook.com/tinsoldierracecars/?fref=ts

Jason is one talented welder and Brad is a magician with the tubing bender. In less than a year, they are already booked 4 months out! GREAT GUYS!

I met Jason on FB firstas I was needing my LS Truck manifolds welded up. He sent me a PM with his address and I was off! I dropped them off and we talked for several hours. Real easy going guy and I trusted him immediately.

He told me a couple days, so I agreed to come pick them up when he finished. In the meantime he sent pics...

That guy has skills! when I picked them up, he asked me who was going to do the Fab work. After seeing his work, I asked him if he wanted to do it. He said he would andthen the project took off!

Our shops are about an hour apart, but my garage is half way and more convenient for him as he worked out of his house at the time. So we decided he would work out of there.

I had an fresh built LQ9 that I was going to use in another project, but with its 10.4 compression, it would be perfect for my II. I had the Powerglide freshened up, so then I mated the two and init went. I used Dirty Dingo motor mounts while using the stock V8 frame mounts.

SIDE NOTE! The wife was sitting in the garage with me while I was working on this. She asked me what I was doing? I told her that I was going to install the eng/trans into the Nova. She LAUGHED and said No Way! It takes at least 3 to 4 guys because thats what she saw on TV! HA!! Ill show you, I told her. 30 minutes later. it was in.

--Cont

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So fast forward a bit as Jason is now coming over to my garage Fabricating up an AWESOME Hot side!! He was getting off his normal job around 3, so he could come to my house and get a lot done in a few hours. He would tell me what material to order and it was ealry enough to where I could bring it home the next day. So it was going pretty well!

Until my wife and baby girls started chatting with him. My wife spoiled him! Prepared him Snacks, made an extra plate of dinner for him. Had him fixing things around the house. Heck, even Miss Mary my old retired neighbor had him help her with a few things. My girls, 8 & 9 would come down to the garage, Whacha doin? Can we watch? whats that do? etc etc They all Loved Jason and couldnt wait to meet his wife and his baby girl. Truly genuine, Awesome person!

So Im just going to post up pics of his work and let them speak for themselves....

I found 417Motorsports online and fell in love with their Intercooler. Since i was running a holley Mid-Ram intake, Blake told me it should clear my steel hood.

So then Jason had more work to do...

--Cont

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I needed a water reservoir to hold the ice & water, so I had some pieces of aluminum cut and then Jason Tig'd them up. A Rule Sump pumps feeds the huge -16 lines!

Sorry if the pics are out of order. Im just trying to get caught up to present day...

--Cont

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the guys at Killer Koatings for all my Powder Coating. They too are great guys!

I know how a lift in garage. If you are on the fence about getting one...

GET ONE!!!

3.5 SS exhaust.

Finally, changed out the master cylinder.

Coil packs mounted down and out of the way.

Easy wiring they said.

My artistic side comes out after a few Bud Lights.

Well, I think Im caught up. I still have a lot to do, but now that Im actually keeping a thread about my build, that should motivate me to get it done!

Thanks for watching,

Craig

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cool build for sure you all are doing a awesome job! Ive been seeing tinsolders work on fb they do a excellent job.

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
I was going to comment about the first neat looking engine compartment until I started scrolling down and seen what you were up to- absolutely incredible.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool build for sure you all are doing a awesome job! Ive been seeing tinsolders work on fb they do a excellent job.
They do! Not only are they extremely talented, but they are just two down to earth guys who love what they do.

I was going to comment about the first neat looking engine compartment until I started scrolling down and seen what you were up to- absolutely incredible.
Beautiful car and some Awesome work going on with it as well.
Thank you.
At first, I was skeptical, but then Jason re-assured me and told me, "I got this" Its amazing what one can get done with the right guys working with you on a project. Ill have an idea in my head, but then Brad or Jason will chime in, How about doing it this way? We are always bouncing ideas off each other and I never question their abilities.

I was hoping to get the Nova back to my house this week, but Im having issues with my current project, 87 Chevy C10, SC LS1 & T56.
If yall have a minute, here is a link to that build album...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1835573-chevy-c10-ls1-t56-build.html

For some reason I cant keep a transmission seal in the tail housing. So I have to put it on the lift and address that. Then I can get the Nova home.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn that's a cool ride. Second gen Pro Streeters kick ass.
Thanks! Ive been debating on whether or not to put leafs back under it. With all the new suspension technology, it would make sense. Probably not look as cool from the rear, but it would open up more classes of racing I could compete in.

Very nice! Show and go in one package.
Thank you. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a lot going on with my Nova as I was finishing up my C10, LS1/T56 build.
Heres a link if anyone wants to check it out.:)
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10021

But I did get a chance to finish up some projects in my garage, to make some more usable space.

I got freaking tired off kicking and triping over these so I searched online and modified what I found and came up with this design. Simple, yet effective and Cheap!

I also have all the parts left over from the Carb'd set-up off my Nova. They were under my bench and just taking up space. I dont plan on selling it all, so I needed to make a new storage area for it all. Once again, I turned to an online search and came up with this design.

Id say there is probably around 150+ lbs worth of stuff up there. Hopefully it doesnt fall! :eek:

Finally, Pinterest saves the day again, as I built this using some pictures I saw online.

Im asking myself two things.
1) Why didnt I get a Lift sooner?
2) Why didnt I build these sooner?
Both have made my experience in the garage A LOT better and more productive!

Hopefully someone can use these ideas to help them with storage solutions.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Sweet update, I remember this car in magazines back in the day. Are you switching the rear gear ratio to fit the turbo build?

1 - 20 of 141 Posts