Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have finally finished my CBR power rack and pinion, tubular uppers and lowers and Viking coil over conversion. WOW, others have raved about how it changed their car and my experience is the same. It is like a totally different car.

A little background. I've had the car for almost three years. While a great looking and running car it was never really fun to drive. The previous owner had installed 17" rims with 225/50 tires and since it had stock manual steering slow speed maneuvering was a real bear. Getting into my side entry garage was a gym work out and any speeds over 60mph on the highway were an exercise in fear managment as it tried to follow any road irregularities and got pretty upset by bumps or quick maneuvers. My wife couldn't comfortably drive it. I spent a long time reading threads about conversion kits and the great CBR reviews convinced me that their system while maybe not the cheapest would be best for me. I have to say that I feel like it was worth every penny.

While the kit is intended to be completely plug and play and completely bolt in as with many of our cars that was not true in my case. If it was easy everybody would have a classic car.:) All of my issues we due to decisions I made or quirks of my particular Chevy II. I wanted to keep my original steering column because it was paint matched to my interior and I was trying to save a few bucks. This turned out to be mistake one. I ended up having to reengineer my column and wait for parts, bushings and bearings to do it. In hindsight I should have just ordered the Ididit column and made my life and installation easier. Secondly I didn't want to change my headers for cost reasons so I had to use a second Borgeson joint. This required the fabing of a bracket to hold a shaft bearing to stop the steering shafts from looping. I've since found out that CBR makes just such a set up and had I known I would have just bought it. It cost about what I spent to build it. The kit directions suggest putting in all of the bolts for the crossmember and sub frame in bolt head on the bottom side. I needed some of mine thread down because I had clearance issues with my aluminum radiator. I ended up having to raise my radiator a half inch to insure clearance. It turned out that my 63 Chevy II had 68 and later spindles on it and those needed to be changed. If you have drop spindles that you are unsure of their compatibility with the CBR stuff do yourself a favor and just order the stock ones from Chuck when you order the kit. They are relatively cheap and would have saved me a ton of time and consternation.

Through all of this I had to make several calls to CBR. Chuck Jr. and Sr. were very helpful and answered all of my stupid questions with patience. When the parts came I was super impressed with the quality. My guys at the alignment shop were all oohing and aweing over the parts and couldn't stop marveling on how much easier it was to align.

The end result is that I love driving my car again. If you are on the fence about doing this I highly recommend that you take the plunge. If you can't afford it all at once the kits are modular and you can add parts as you go. I've included a few pictures for those that might want to see a few of the parts as they go on and what came off. I'm not sure why some are upside down but I think you can get the idea. I've lowered the front a little since the last picture but I don't have any pictures yet of that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Cbr

The CBR components are second to NONE!! I have driven a first generation since 1986 as my first car and I am well versed in how they drive!! never again!! with CBR it drives like it is on rails. the options are endless with ride height and alignment. I love the way handles and the way it sits :yes::yes:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well done! Looks great! :thumbsup:

After the 700R4 this coming Spring, it is on the Bucket List next! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts