Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving along today, nothing out of the ordinary. Suddenly I hear a pretty loud bang from the right side of my car. I pull over to the side and pop the hood. Nothing looked wrong. So I checked all under the front of the car. Still nothing. Get back in the car and keep driving. Now there was a dragging/grinding noise every couple of seconds. Pull over again and check the back of the car. I see the right rear shock hanging down waaaaaaaaaay more than it should. It was dragging on the ground!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't have tools with me, so there was nothing I could do but drive home and scrape loudly (and embarassingly) over every little bump. :( It was particularly painful when I had to go through two HUGE dips. :( :eek:

So I got home and took the two bolts out on top. Or one bolt, actually, because one of the bolts snapped off when I was loosening it!!! :mad: :mad: I managed to get the broken part out, but what a pain!!!

So anyway, it's been a while since I've bought shocks for the car (got some good use out of these ones :)) and I'm wondering...since the bottom bolt magically disappeared and one of the top bolts broke, I'm left with one bolt. Do shocks come with any hardware? Or am I going to have to buy new stuff? If so, does anybody know the size of the top and bottom bolts?

Thanks. And here's a pic of how mangled my shock is.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/16323541710.jpg&s=f5

There's two huge dents, and that doesn't even show the super huge dent on the other side, but you can kind of see the long dent on that side. :eek: :eek:

Notice that the entire bottom bolt and even the bushing is gone. :eek:

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Nice! Most shocks do come with hardware, well at least the bottom bolt. I think it 5/16 coarse. Take the old one to the H/W store and ge 4 new ones if the new shocks don't come w/the top bolts. I have some spares I could email to ya!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
all the shocks ive ever bought came w hardware, if they dont just take the new shock to the hardware store and fit the bolts as needed, should be a standard size......

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, I never thought of taking the bottom bolt out of the other one and just matching it up. :eek:

What would I do without this site? :D :rolleyes:

Matt

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If I had a shock break off my car I'd want to know why it did that. Shocks should never break the bolts if everything is correct to begin with. JMHO, RM

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't know if it broke the bolt or if the bolt just got loose and the nut fell off or what. I mean, the roads around here are pretty horrible. And my car shakes quite a bit. AND, I've lost a lot of other random bolts, too. The front shock on the passenger side, the bottom bolts just disappeared one day, just like this rear shock. One of the upper control arm bolts magically disappaeared on the passenger side. :eek: The two bolts holding the transmission mount to the tranny disappeared on me. And that's just what I can remember! :eek:

Maybe I'm just used to the shaking, but IMO, the car isn't that rumbly. :rolleyes:

I should probably spend a day torquing every single bolt on the car, though, because with my luck, I'll be driving along one day and the whole engine will just fall out. :eek:

Matt

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
And I thought the roads in Ohio sucked, shoulds like you have worse out there........LOL. The bottom bolt on that shock should use a self locking nut which shouldn't ever fall off. RM

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heh, I guess it was more of a lunch, now that you mention it. :p

WILMASBOYL78 said:
Make sure the "nut" holding the wheel is tight!!;)

good luck, wilma
The nut was loose, but after hearing the loud BANG and seeing some smoke, it got REAL tight!! :p ;)

I had a lot of stuff to do and didn't get a chance to get a shock yet, but boy. I've got some REAL bad wheelhop without that shock. :(

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts