Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me choose some good aftermarket heads for the 307!

well today i found out those heads i bought off of CL are trash. one of the valve guides has a crack all the way down it. so its junk. and im out 125 dollars:bored::mad::mad::mad:

well needless to say i would rather buy something new then used now.:yes:

someone help me choose some good aftermarket cylinder heads for the 307 that will make good power with out spending a fortune.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I know you want new one's.

But I would go to the local boneyard and pick up a set of vortecs.I believe I paid 150 bucks a peice for mine.Spent another couple hundred at the machine shop and spent 200 on an intake.

So for 700 bucks I had a new top end for my motor.And that 307 will run great with this setup.

If not world products makes some good replacement heads.....

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The 307 has a 283 bore size so that limits good choices. You'll want 58cc chambers to keep compression up.
I'd say go with World 58cc S/R Torquers. $578 pair complete from Competition Products. Screw in studs and all new parts.

btw, those CL heads can probably be fixed but not sure it's worth it. Lesson learned: If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The 307 has a 283 bore size so that limits good choices. You'll want 58cc chambers to keep compression up.
I'd say go with World 58cc S/R Torquers. $578 pair complete from Competition Products. Screw in studs and all new parts.

btw, those CL heads can probably be fixed but not sure it's worth it. Lesson learned: If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
why are those almost 600 bucks to where these are the same and there 300?

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=1333

those heads you showed me say bare in the name also (but show an assembled head :confused:)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
That price has to be for a set of bare heads. Summit lists them assembled for $550.00 each. For that money I'd buy the Trick Flow aluminum heads with 58cc chambers and really wake up the little engine. But for inexpensive, Maybe look at these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-151124/
Then have them decked .030-.040" and run a shim head gasket.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Sorry, I usually only buy bare heads, port and build them myself.

$600 bare, $700 for kits and 759.98 for assemblies. Plus shipping. You can shop around...just showing the head you want (imo)

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm

what would be a good cam to go with the S/R Torquer heads?

remember the bottom end is going to stay stock.:yes:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
here is a great set of heads that come with a better total package!

GM Performance 350 Crate Engine 290 HP HO 12499529

Can be purchased for less than 2 grand !

Our lowest priced Performance crate engine.
Quite simply, the 290 HP 350-cubic-inch is the best small-block crate engine value offered by GMPP! With 290 horsepower and 326 lb.-ft. of torque, it makes a great replacement engine for countless GM vehicles, while its all-new construction provides peace of mind over salvage and rebuilt engines. The 290 HP is packed with good stuff, too, starting with the four-bolt-main block, aluminum pistons, and a hydraulic camshaft. The durable iron cylinder heads process healthy amounts of air to deliver strong torque across the rpm range and great mid-range horsepower. Delivered as a long block assembly, you add items like an intake manifold, carburetor, ignition system, starter, balancer and water pump—all available from GMPP. Build it up to suit your needs, as the economical 290 HP will leave plenty of change on the table! Our lowest priced crate engine.
This HP 290/350 is the best value crate engine from GM Performance Parts, with 290 horsepower @ 5100 RPM, and 326 lb-ft. of torque @ 3750 RPM on 87 octane fuel.

The HP 290 horsepower will provide great durability because of its 4-bolt mains, PM steel rods, strong cast aluminum pistons.
The camshaft has .450" intake and .460" exhaust lift with hydraulic flat tappets.
The cast iron cylinder heads have 1.94" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves wit 76 cc combustion chamber. These heads have the conventional 90 degree with 12 bolt intake manifold attaching design used from 1955 thru late 1980

IMO!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
well today i found out those heads i bought off of CL are trash. one of the valve guides has a crack all the way down it. so its junk. and im out 125 dollars:bored::mad::mad::mad:

well needless to say i would rather buy something new then used now.:yes:

someone help me choose some good aftermarket cylinder heads for the 307 that will make good power with out spending a fortune.
what heads did you buy off CL? what casting#

try doing a search on chevy hi performance web site I think they did a 307 build up with some nice heads. Also look into finding some H.O. heads of a 305 they may work with some help.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what heads did you buy off CL? what casting#

try doing a search on chevy hi performance web site I think they did a 307 build up with some nice heads. Also look into finding some H.O. heads of a 305 they may work with some help.
they are 416s

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
wow 416's are a 305 head!.....lol

I'm sure you can find another casting if ya had to.
Here is a message I got from member "bluehat" a good while ago... He has a mean 307!:D

bluehat PM said:
Nope, I'd stay away from the 416's. I have 601's and the 801's are a good choice too, you will have to replace the valves in either one but it is well worth the effort if you are putting them on a 307 or even a 327, I would suggest polishing the exhaust ports to a mirror shine, if you are sticking them on a 350 you will need to have some work done to unshroud the valves in the combustion chamber and I would port intake and exhaust being sure to gasket match all ports to manifolds.

Now be advised I'm a different sort of individual, I believe in working from instinct on my car and I am usually very happy with the results I get. I don't subscribe to the highly technical methods of a lot of guys, just wasn't how it was done when I was a youngster keeping my hotrod running.

Did I mention my 307 will run?:D

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow 416's are a 305 head!.....lol

I'm sure you can find another casting if ya had to.
my boss has 2 sets that have been sitting in his shop for 2 years

im going to ask him about them tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
they look remarkably like th L98 350 aluminum head from the Vett

Ebay does not have one set of L98 heads.. its all procomp junk

1 - 20 of 152 Posts