Transmission: stock at

Rear End: 10 bolt

Exhaust: stock replacement

Wheels/Tires: 16" pontiac rims 245-50-16

Interior: stock

Electrical: hair shy of a mess

Accessories/Options:

Sound system: stock radio after market speakers

Additional Comments:Finally found the car i grew up riding in...well one like it. I've only had it for a month. My granny had a green one and i loved it as a kid even though it was only a inline 6. Now that i have my own i plan on making it my own five speed big block with a new edge twist

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Looks a really solid start!:yes: No rust at all that I can see in pictures. Sounds like a great plan with a big block & 5 speed. Maybe one challenge will be to find the clutch linkage & pedals...but they seem to be out there. Look forward to watching the progress. By the way, welcome to the site. Lots of guys to help and lots of knowledge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea the five speed will be the last thing on the list to do. for right now i'm gone ride the i6 till all the suspension upgrade are done for a bbc and a new rear end.

here's the rust. not much but it's first on the list.
trunk:

rear right window:

back window:

right rear lower panel:

rust first then hunt down some of the missing and broke body pieces.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Looks to be in good shape as a starting platform. From the photos posted I may be able to help with the missing and broken body pieces. Send me a PM when you are ready for them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man, will do. taking my time trying to soak up some info so i can do it right the first time. wish i could do a frame of resto but i'll do what i can for now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing your 79 build come along. Click on the link in my signature block to check out my 79. Don't worry about the wiring, it's not as difficult to do as some people think or as I used to think. I've replaced all of the wiring and fuse block in mine.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Thats a great project car. The first thing I would do is replace all the rust with new metal. btw a/c is easy to fix if it doesnt work. So be careful around that a/c box they are fragile. keep us updated on the build:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks mike1979 for the tip. you did a nice job on the wiring. i'm gone try it out, mines shot.

1977Chad350 i was thinking of keeping it since most people delete them. it's a nice option to have. i need alittle more research on it before i try to fix it.

77-427-5sp i'm working on collecting the 5 speed parts. its a slow process..lol.

here's the rust i've taken off so far:

should i get another strip welded in or jb weld it?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Looks like you're making good headway. Maybe on your bigger holes you could use some fiberglass resin to patch them and JB weld on the smaller holes. But first I would use a good rust neutralizer on it so the rust doesn't re-form. Before primer and paint I also then filled the deep pits with a little bondo to make the area smooth as possible so water would not tend to lay in there as much.

·
Registered
396 Posts
No problem. The wiring kit I used is made by Painless Performance Products PN# 20103. If you go the JEGS website, search for part number 764-20103. Get yourself a good set of wire crimps, wire strippers and cutters cuz you're going to do a lot of wire cutting, stripping and crimping. The only pig tails that come with the kit are for the headlights. If any of your other pig tails (i.e. plugs for side marker and tail lights) are bad, you'll need to buy those separate. If you need any help, just let me know. I have some more tips for you on the wiring project when you get ready to tackle it.

Good luck on that rust. I was lucky enough not to have to deal with that. My suggestion would be to cut it out and weld in new metal if you're experienced in metal shaping, welding and finish work. I'm not a welder, but know quite a few. You still have a very strong foundation to work with and I look forward to seeing your progress.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have a little rust around rear windows but no where near that bad... if you have the time and money.. do metal.... if you dont.. use naval jelly or something along those lines so the rust doesnt return... rustoleum paint to kill the rust and jbweld the small holes... fiberglass the larger ones and then smooth it over real good with compund ( not cheapo bondo but more like the bondo gold.. better product) then primer and paint....

take your time..dont skip steps and rush it... if you do youll have to do it all over again...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys. i think i'll just wait till i can get some one to weld me a new strip or at least fill the big holes with new metal and weld it in. i'm good with fiberglass but i can't weld a lick..lol. good point on doing it right the first time. i don't want to have to redo anything later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
been off the grid for a while. no internet at the house anymore so posting is limited. i got some rust removle and did that now i'm fixing trans leaks and get it on the road with the six in it. i want to be driving while i collect parts.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Keep me in mind when getting rid of that six cylinnder suff would be interested in the fan shroud and the rad cover top piece

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what's up guys? still at it little by little. I hadto fiberglass the rear window quarters, i still have to bondo and sand it though. will put up pics later.....i got a question. i got a chance to buy a 4dr 75. can i use the front end and swap it if i take the core support and all? getting all the parts i need off of it and junk the rest. still on the look out for the 5spd swap, might have to go auto till all the parts are collected. I'll check in later with picks thanks for all the info so far. It's been super helpful.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Everything from the windshield forward is the same for a 2 door and 4 door. Deck lid is the same too. Core support 75 - 79 is the same too.
75 should have the 8.5" rear if no one has removed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the info! sounds like my winter has gott'n alittle more busy...lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
yeah if you can take that 8.5 10 bolt. the 7.5 rear is ok for mild and I mean mild small block. as soon as you get on it though.. say bye bye. My 10 bolt was rebuilt with an Eaton posi and center carrier and 3.42 motive gears. a well built 10 bolt can handle a 10 second car just fine.

and listen to philip... he knows his stuff. :D

happy new year!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Of course grille, bezels, extensions and brackets are different... You can sell the 75 grille brackets for Nova Rally grille fans...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts