Chevy Nova Forum banner

121 - 140 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Managed to get the shifter hump cleaned up and ready to weld in today. Welded up all the holes. I’m guessing the previous owner had a set of gauges and replaced the boot a couple times. Stripped the paint and cleaned off the black tar seam sealer. That stuff is nasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,318 Posts
Ever check out Romancommander's 1973 Nova Rust-o Rest-o Resurrect-o build thread. The master of templates and custom idea's.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Made some progress on sheet metal over the last few days. Started with 3 templates for the rear firewall, below the package tray. Not sure that’s the correct nomenclature but the pics will illustrate. I decided to focus on the large center section so I could build in flanges where the the side pieces meet it. After thinking about it a bit, I decided to make two smaller pieces with a pinch seam at the middle. This way, my 30” cheapo brake could handle the bottom flange, and it would build some rigidity into the center of the panel. I’ll plug weld the pinch seam in a few spots to hold it together and probably take the assembly out to finish it as one piece on the bench.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Isn't it crazy how time consuming this stuff is? Looking good.
It really did take much longer than I originally thought. I wasn't super happy with the other side I did a few months ago and took more time on this side hoping for better results. I'm trying to improve my skills with the sheet metal because I have 2 large quarter panels that need to be attached to the car and I truly do not want to make a mess of them.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
All 7 pages - start - 2 - finish . kimmer = you have some fine skills .

"romancommander 73 " - " rquad 74" - " J Mark's 72 " - " kimmer71 " . . . . . . all you guys w/your builds = makes
SNS just What It Is ; the Best NOVA SITE going , by far .

We (I speak for many SNS members) are really 'Living both with & through each of your Builds ………….
Top Notch - Quality Builds . . . . . . .

Thank You - all - 'past & present' ………..

and , kimmer . . . . . . . . Yes , we can see all those great pictures & very fine details . . . . :)

thanks , again .

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
All 7 pages - start - 2 - finish . kimmer = you have some fine skills .

"romancommander 73 " - " rquad 74" - " J Mark's 72 " - " kimmer71 " . . . . . . all you guys w/your builds = makes
SNS just What It Is ; the Best NOVA SITE going , by far .

We (I speak for many SNS members) are really 'Living both with & through each of your Builds ………….
Top Notch - Quality Builds . . . . . . .

Thank You - all - 'past & present' ………..

and , kimmer . . . . . . . . Yes , we can see all those great pictures & very fine details . . . . :)

thanks , again .
Thanks buddy. Appreciate the support and encouragement.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
say .. . . . . I just looked up - "Clover, SC" …………….

would you ever go towards "Inmam, SC" .. ?
SNS member "Poindexter" (Chris) - - moved out too Inman back last Nov ; with his 74 Nova 2dr LS
powered car . You can look here & see his Nova :

just asking . . . . . . and, he "does drive his car - a lot" . I don't know how close that is , just a heads - up,
if you get out that way (he's now our 'son-in-law' ) .

later, jim

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
say .. . . . . I just looked up - "Clover, SC" …………….

would you ever go towards "Inmam, SC" .. ?
SNS member "Poindexter" (Chris) - - moved out too Inman back last Nov ; with his 74 Nova 2dr LS
powered car . You can look here & see his Nova :

just asking . . . . . . and, he "does drive his car - a lot" . I don't know how close that is , just a heads - up,
if you get out that way (he's now our 'son-in-law' ) .

later, jim
I’ve lived down here for 13 years and had to look it up on a map. Inman is less than 50 miles from me!

I hope we cross paths one day...and my damn car is finally done when it happens. I’d guess the Charlotte auto fair or annual cruise to the coast perhaps. I hear that one is is good.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Been working on interior body flanges for the inner wheel wells where they meet the back seat area floors. I had made some of these curved flanges a while back on the shrinker and stretcher tools.

My general direction lately is to push forward with sheet metal for the back half of the car. The “floor box” that covers the 4-link bars is a little tricky because of its shape and proximity to the wheel wells. There will be 2 narrow “pockets” left between the wheel well and the floor box. Because it will be impossible to get my welder in there once it’s closed up, I’m trying to plan ahead for welding, sealing and coating.

There is plenty of metal in the trunk area, under the package tray that will be difficult if not impossible to spray with paint once I cover it up with panels. Because of this, I think I’d like to get some paint on there 1st.

It’s kind of strange to be thinking about painting. I don’t feel like I’m “there” but the project seems to be pushing me towards it.

I learned that I should have done these flanges when I put the wheel wells in, before I put the cage in. It would have been much easier I think. As is always the case, I struggled with the 1st attempt and then the 2nd one (driver side) went much smoother. One important thing I have learned, positioning for work like this makes a big difference in work efficiency and quality. I know that’s an obvious statement but we often dismiss this simple truth when “pushing” to get something done. My Dad would call it “Ramming”.

Anyway, here are the pictures so far. Almost done with this seemingly small achievement that took 2 days to do. In my defense, there was plenty of prep work.

1st one, passenger side. Cut my teeth on this one and didn’t take many pics of the process.

2nd one, driver side. More pics to illustrate the process.

121 - 140 of 214 Posts