Chevy Nova Forum banner
721 - 740 of 773 Posts

· Premium Member
1974 Nova SS pro-tour resto-mod.
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #722 ·
Dragged out the fenders, removed the trim and hardware. Both lower corners need to be repaired. I’ve already ordered the Patch panels. Have to strip all the paint (and rust) and do the body work too. Trying to decide if I should just replace them. Guess I’ll wait for the patch panels and see what that project looks like.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #725 ·
If it's just the lower corner, I'd save them. As you (and all of us have found), even the best and/or most expensive aftermarket panels aren't as good as OEM for these cars.
That’s one of the major considerations. I know these fit. They are in generally good shape less the lowers. There does appear to be a small area of damage, at the door seam on one of them which has me concerned. It’s weird though. It’s a slightly raised “dent”. I assume from door contact at some point in its life. Not damaged otherwise from what I can tell. I looked them over pretty well today. I’m contemplating breaking out the sand blaster to clean up the inner surfaces, support brackets and rusted area. If I do, it’ll be a bigger project because I’ll batch the inner fender wells too. I’m not sure how I’ll handle protective coating it all after that. It’s winter and the epoxy primer will be a pita. I may break out the phosphate acid and save the primer application till spring, or a warm day anyways. Feels like I’m getting myself all tripped up on this project lately. Must…keep….working…on…it.

· Premium Member
1,889 Posts
The flaw is the bracket that runs vertical at the rear of the fender. Has a nice big round hole that fills up with dirt that retains moisture and rots a hole through. Classic rust spot on those models. Do what you can to get sealer in there after the repair.

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #727 ·
I’ve managed to get the outer sides of the fenders stripped. Washed them down with phosphoric acid. Need to break out the sand blaster for the remainder. I also called AMD looking for my order. Stuff is in stock, ordered on the 6th, still has not shipped. They said they were backed up in the warehouse. No big deal at this point, just keep working on these fenders I guess. They may end up in primer before I do the patches.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Automotive design

· Registered
1,236 Posts
I think this thread illustrates one thing very well.
No matter how well you plan it out there will always be reworks or “that one little thing” you have to do.

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #730 ·
Dragged out the fender skirts? Inner fender wells? Don’t know what the correct term is. Had to pull staples, from them, which was weird considering they are metal! Hadn’t anticipated having to scrape all the undercoating from them, using a pry bar, either. I’m ready to start blasting the inner fenders and skirts now.

Bedrock Tints and shades Wood Concrete Metal

Road surface Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

Gas Bicycle part Bumper Auto part Metal

Hat Automotive tire Helmet Wood Headgear

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Yes they were. An odd way for the factory to attach them I think. Not sure how I will attach the new ones. I know I wont be stapling them. Maybe some nutserts.
They sell replacement staples for use with reproduction rubber shields, You assemble and bend by hand, back through the original staple holes in the inner fender metal.

Maybe you already know this, and just want something more professional looking than staples....?

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #734 ·
They sell replacement staples for use with reproduction rubber shields, You assemble and bend by hand, back through the original staple holes in the inner fender metal.

Maybe you already know this, and just want something more professional looking than staples....?
I think something removable makes more sense. I’m addicted to those damn nutserts now too. Maybe some simple modern plastic clips would be more appropriate.

· Registered
33 Posts
The nutserts may be a good idea for your car and application. I had to re-make the rubber splash shield on the drivers side under the fuse panel -- They don't even show that part in the factory assembly manual. And no one makes a replacement that I know of. Putting the staples back in is a pain to get right especially on the wheelwell inner fenders. The bottom photo is the un-restored original.

Automotive exterior Composite material Auto part Blade Fashion accessory

Hand Jaw Gesture Artifact Nipper

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #736 ·
The nutserts may be a good idea for your car and application. I had to re-make the rubber splash shield on the drivers side under the fuse panel -- They don't even show that part in the factory assembly manual. And no one makes a replacement that I know of. Putting the staples back in is a pain to get right especially on the wheelwell inner fenders. The bottom photo is the un-restored original.

View attachment 449750

View attachment 449749
That’s wild. Mine didn’t have those brackets. They may have come off when I pulled it apart, a long time ago.

· Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Those staples are tough little things. I tried non destructive removal then ended up just cutting them in half to get them off. Putting new ones back in looks to be a chore. Those same staples are used to attach the rubber seals inside the heater box too.

721 - 740 of 773 Posts