Chevy Nova Forum banner
481 - 500 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
he was layin' it on THICKKKKKKKK :p
Not quite...remember? Thin...but many, many, many times. Probably resulting in those chunks you have laying on the floor by the time I'm done. It's funny how we pick apart and criticize our cars when we have to knock a bunch of filler off them and then at some point down the road, we are quietly putting the stuff back on there.

Maybe today will see this quarter over the finish line, less the glazing I ordered. I finished off last night straightening that lower body line and refining the middle belt on the front part of the panel. These cars have a bit of an hourglass shape behind the door which adds fun. It's getting there, slowly by surely.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
@kimmer71 Yeah, many "thin coats" = SANDING!!! Lots and lots of sanding... Apparently, something the PO of my METHTRAP knew nothing about... :p All that is gone now however so I'll be following you in short order with all new rear steel from B-pillar to B-pillar around the back. Looking forward to seeing your progress each post!! Gives me motivation to sit on my A$$ and watch instead of cutting and welding :p but, my kid is pestering me to just DO IT, DAD!!! SHEESH! hahahaha! Looking great so far, my friend!!We should all be our own harshest critics for all things. Some of us are more critical than others on ourselves but... whatever gets the job done for many. :)

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
@kimmer71 Yeah, many "thin coats" = SANDING!!! Lots and lots of sanding... Apparently, something the PO of my METHTRAP knew nothing about... :p All that is gone now however so I'll be following you in short order with all new rear steel from B-pillar to B-pillar around the back. Looking forward to seeing your progress each post!! Gives me motivation to sit on my A$$ and watch instead of cutting and welding :p but, my kid is pestering me to just DO IT, DAD!!! SHEESH! hahahaha! Looking great so far, my friend!!We should all be our own harshest critics for all things. Some of us are more critical than others on ourselves but... whatever gets the job done for many. :)
:LOL: "thin coats" - I see what you did there.

I'm certainly not criticizing anyone. I think you will be in much better shape than I when it comes to filler work since you are replacing the entire quarter panel right? That should eliminate the zipper down the side of the panel that I'm having to deal with.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
:LOL: "thin coats" - I see what you did there.

I'm certainly not criticizing anyone. I think you will be in much better shape than I when it comes to filler work since you are replacing the entire quarter panel right? That should eliminate the zipper down the side of the panel that I'm having to deal with.
I'm replacing the L/R skins to the B-pillar, the taillight section and the inner/outer rear wheelhouses. The only zipper will be the seam horizontally along the top portion of the quarters. We'll see how well I can get my welds and my grinding. I may TIG the welds rather than MIG however, we'll see how things progress. I'm in a holding pattern as I am losing the shop where I have been working on my car at the end of Jan. The shop is part of a trust set up by my wife's father (my old shop teacher from HS) and her sister is the trustee and is a total C-word! She hates all men and especially hates that her little sister is happy and now married to me as of last Tuesday (12-21-21) so she's suddenly making me move the car out. So... a wrench in the works... LOL. All good though, at least I get to watch your progress :) (sorry if I kinda hijacked the post there for a sec, this isn't about me... :p )

·
6,940 Posts
Man the "fun" of doing bodywork.

Just to throw this out, and maybe this has been covered in this thread, is in the back bottom corner of the quarter glass opening there should be an inside steel filler panel in place. If it is missing, the rear outside window trim to the body will have a decent sized gap.

This is the metal filler panels and the locations:

Gas Electrical wiring Cable Wire Automotive tire

Brown Wood Twig Office ruler Automotive exterior

Hood Gas Electrical wiring Tints and shades Cable

Plant Jaw Wood Twig Tree

Also to, on my 74 I wanted a nice fit on the bottom back edge of the quarter glass trim in that area and while trial fitting the trim, I knew the area could be made to look better.

What I did was masked off the window trim tightly and then mixed up a little bodyman in a can and applied some filler in that back corner. I then quickly put the trim in place and screwed it down and then let the excess filler ooze out. I then let it kick some to where I could then take an exacto knife and trim some of the excess filler away and then let the filler kick all the way and harden.

I then unscrewed the trim and took it off the can and then sanded this corner of the car and the filler to flow it out nicely.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Rim Vehicle door

On mine I also needed to slightly tweak the angle of the trim and heated up the corner with a propane torch to get the trim fitting the best is could.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

Good luck with things.

Jim

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
Man the "fun" of doing bodywork.

Just to throw this out, and maybe this has been covered in this thread, is in the back bottom corner of the quarter glass opening there should be an inside steel filler panel in place. If it is missing, the rear outside window trim to the body will have a decent sized gap.

This is the metal filler panels and the locations:

View attachment 430491
View attachment 430489
View attachment 430490
View attachment 430488

Also to, on my 74 I wanted a nice fit on the bottom back edge of the quarter glass trim in that area and while trial fitting the trim, I knew the area could be made to look better.

What I did was masked off the window trim tightly and then mixed up a little bodyman in a can and applied some filler in that back corner. I then quickly put the trim in place and screwed it down and then let the excess filler ooze out. I then let it kick some to where I could then take an exacto knife and trim some of the excess filler away and then let the filler kick all the way and harden.

I then unscrewed the trim and took it off the can and then sanded this corner of the car and the filler to flow it out nicely.

View attachment 430492

On mine I also needed to slightly tweak the angle of the trim and heated up the corner with a propane torch to get the trim fitting the best is could.

View attachment 430493

Good luck with things.

Jim
Thanks for the heads up Jim. I'll dig those moldings out and check their fit. I remember being unimpressed with them when I took them off the car long ago.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
I wanted to share a realization I had yesterday about quarter panel replacement. Specifically, why I am now a believer in straight butt welding the seams. I didn't do it this way because I was worried about a flat seam and burn though. I would venture to guess that the reason professional body men prefer straight butt welds...is so the seam can be metal worked back into shape. I am having to do a-lot of filler work to get my quarter panel weld seam straight. You know what they say, hind-sight is 20-20. If I had it to do over again, I'd butt weld them and work them over with hammer/dolly, shrink, stretch, slap, spoon, file...whatever it took to get the metal right to avoid working this much filler. Just a heads-up. I had no idea what a mess my seams were and I never considered working the metal, really working the metal, before ever moving to the filler stage. It seems like common sense now, but I never considered it when I was putting those panels back on the car. Another hard-knocks lesson learned! I'd much rather work with the metal than this messy filler crap.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
here is where I left off yesterday. I can't begin to express how sick and tired I am of working with this mud! I guess I'll be skimming that lower rear section now to get it up to the same level as the rest of the panel. Plenty of work left to do around the edges too. Must....press....on.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
😆 Too funny. It’s been raining here since yesterday and the dust stinks something awful with the moisture in the air. I just used my backpack blower to push it all out the garage door!
HAHAHAHA!!! I bet your neighbors will all thank you for filling their cracks too! :p I do the same thing with a little blower I picked up long ago for drying my car and bike after a good wash. Like a friggin' hurricane of disaster blowing out into the open with that crap! Used some cat-hair filler a while back and... dumba$$ me, forgot to put on my safety goggles with side protection... Blew some of that crap right into my eye... Like father, like son I guess... DERP!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I wanted to share a realization I had yesterday about quarter panel replacement. Specifically, why I am now a believer in straight butt welding the seams. I didn't do it this way because I was worried about a flat seam and burn though. I would venture to guess that the reason professional body men prefer straight butt welds...is so the seam can be metal worked back into shape. I am having to do a-lot of filler work to get my quarter panel weld seam straight. You know what they say, hind-sight is 20-20. If I had it to do over again, I'd butt weld them and work them over with hammer/dolly, shrink, stretch, slap, spoon, file...whatever it took to get the metal right to avoid working this much filler. Just a heads-up. I had no idea what a mess my seams were and I never considered working the metal, really working the metal, before ever moving to the filler stage. It seems like common sense now, but I never considered it when I was putting those panels back on the car. Another hard-knocks lesson learned! I'd much rather work with the metal than this messy filler crap.
I tried a similar way with the air flange tool. First time using that instead of butt welding the panel. It seemed to work out pretty good but i feel your pain since I started the filler stage. That nice flange made the panel stronger however it is very hard to hammer and dolly the seam. i can only imagine with the amount of panel you are working with cause mine is about a 1/3 that size. Keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
Aloooottt of sanding 😯
oh yeah...so, so much. The real aggravation for me is chasing it around though. If it were once and done...much less complaining from me. Over and over and over though....argh.

I feel like my "eye" for it is improving and my technique is improving. Having the right tools for this work is important. I spent a few hundred on more tools in the last couple of days. Had to order a set of durablocks because I couldn't find them anywhere local. Also ordered an IR air file. I'm hoping that will make a bit less work with the manual blocks. I bought a length of 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum flat bar to cut down so I can have a firm backer for my soft-sanders until the durablocks arrive. The only thing that saved me on this quarter is the long durablock I bought a while back. I used it to knock down the waves the soft sander block made because I was pushing too hard, being impatient or applying unevenly. I have had good luck with the orbital once I get the panel flat. I learned if you slow down the speed of the orbital a bit, much less dust will fly and more will fall. I also ordered a set of steel spreaders to try. The plastic ones are a bit flimsy and too short for my liking. I'm getting better a managing bigger batches of filler and wasting less.

I really wanted to get this body in primer before Sunday but that deadline is in jeopardy of slipping I think. That's ok if it's what it takes to get it right. Funny thing about deadlines...I refused to set any for myself for a long time with this project to keep it from becoming stressful. Only problem with that was the car was taking forever to get done. Now I'm setting deadlines to get it done and have introduced a bit of stress into the equation as a result.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
1,306 Posts
Doing it right and to "your" standards takes time. You can be proud of what you've done and the end results.

With your developed skills, learned knowledge and acquired tools you can do restorations on the side. Then again maybe not.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
I'm replacing the L/R skins to the B-pillar, the taillight section and the inner/outer rear wheelhouses. The only zipper will be the seam horizontally along the top portion of the quarters. We'll see how well I can get my welds and my grinding. I may TIG the welds rather than MIG however, we'll see how things progress. I'm in a holding pattern as I am losing the shop where I have been working on my car at the end of Jan. The shop is part of a trust set up by my wife's father (my old shop teacher from HS) and her sister is the trustee and is a total C-word! She hates all men and especially hates that her little sister is happy and now married to me as of last Tuesday (12-21-21) so she's suddenly making me move the car out. So... a wrench in the works... LOL. All good though, at least I get to watch your progress :) (sorry if I kinda hijacked the post there for a sec, this isn't about me... :p )
Sorry to hear about the shop but congrats on getting married! You have a plan "B" worked out for a garage to work on your project yet?

481 - 500 of 553 Posts