Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
looks like a good start to a great project! I guess I'm surprised to see a 74 with drums up front, I was under the impression that 74 was the first year for discs standard up front :confused:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
8.5" 10 Bolt posi swap

Thanks guys!

I started accumulating replacement parts and decided today that I'm running out of storage space. I had bought a junkyard rear end for the posi differential and decided to swap the parts over today so I can sell one and get some space back.

I'm happy to report that the posi differential unit went in without objection. It's just a temporary assembly for now to consolidate parts and make sure everything fit. I'll have to properly rebuild it a little further down the road...but at least I don't have to store 2 full rear end assemblies anymore.

so...I'm going to do a mini-tub and 4-link next. I know...why not a 9" right? Money at this point. I'm not planning on planting massive torque to the ground anyway...not enough to break it hopefully. This will not be a drag car.

I just ordered the steel for the rear frame sectioning so...more pics and updates soon hopefully...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like a good start to a great project! I guess I'm surprised to see a 74 with drums up front, I was under the impression that 74 was the first year for discs standard up front :confused:
Yeah, I wish it did. Would have saved some $ since I'll be going with disk brakes all around.

The car came with an M21 4-speed and bucket seats...pretty much the reason I bought it. I was disappointed to learn that it's originally a bench seat car. 4-speed and yellow paint is correct color though. I'm planning on keeping it yellow.

I've got a 327 I've been lugging around for the last 15 years that I'll build and put in the car. Right now, I'm thinking twin turbo, low boost...500HP range. This car will be a non-flogged driver. My vision for the car is a classic Chevy potent enough to keep up with or beat the new Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs in stock trim...light to light anyway. I know, thats a stretch considering the suspension and gearing not to mention HP of those new rides.

Hey...a guy can dream can't he? And also...there's something to say for the fact that I built it right? Right!

·
Registered
550 Posts
i like ur project... Urs is a lil diff then mine... Im still wit open diff no junkyards around me have any 10 or 12 bolts for less then 600 bucks... took me a year to find a backglass... anyways nice project...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought a new, 74 SS back in 74. I ordered the 350, 4-speed, bench seats, 3:55 posi, and the yellow paint scheme with the black stripes.. Great car..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Driver side rear frame section. Part 1

I finally got to start cutting on the car to get these rear frame rails moved inward.

Earlier in the week I made some adjustable supports for the rear of the car. I used 1" steel pipe and 3/4" threaded rod with some threaded floor flanges. I tack welded the top to the frame and tapcon screwed the flanges to my garage floor. Does the trick!

Once i had back half of the car supported, I started cutting out metal. I cut out the trunk pan to make access to the frame rail easier. I need to replace the trunk pan anyways so...

Sectioned the inner wheel well to get access to the frame rail on the outer side and cut some relief slots in the remaining trunk pan material to allow the flaps to be bent up and out of the way. Drilled the spot welds and used the air chisel to start separating the welds.

Almost ready for the big "hope I don't @#$% this up" cuts on the frame rail...

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
One of my favorite years in playing with these novas ( 73 74 ).

Can way to see the end result on this one also =)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A little progress...

Its been difficult to find time to work on the car as much as I would like. I have made a bit more progress on the driver side frame mods.

Marked and cut the frame section:

Mocked up where I wanted the rail to be:

I had to weld 3/16" plate to extend formed body support plate over so the relocated frame section had something to attach to:

Bend and cut and fit and bend and cut and fit this little ***. Also had to fill holes and add a little metal here and there:

I'm about 75% sure it will get welded back in like this:

Once I get the other side done, I'll get the 4-link in and then beef up the structure with a crossmember while installing the fuel cell. I sure hope I can make the other side of the frame mod go quicker.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
almost forgot to mention DSE

I purchased the DSE deep tubs. Funny thing, I didn't realize they were in Mooresville, NC. I was working on a project right down the road from the shop so I decided to stop in and check it out. That place is awesome! Great people. They took me on a tour of the entire shop and they have some very nice pieces in there. I think they were planning an event for the upcoming races in Charlotte too. If you ever get the chance, stop by and meet these folks. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Moving forward a bit more

The sweltering weather finally let up a little this past weekend which afforded me 2 perfect days of cutting, grinding and welding on my Nova. I finally have the rear frame sections welded into place. Looking towards the 4-link install next.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Some progress pics...bet you guys thought I quit huh?

4-link axle brackets...had to grind and file to fit axle housing.

finally got em on there.

Had to notch the crossmember (front) 4-link brackets...got er done!

Had to fab a crossmember!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also...went to the Autofair in Charlotte last week and finally ordered my wheels! 17"x11"x6"BS for the back and 17"x8"x4.5"BS for the front. I desperately needed the back wheels so I can get the final width on my rear housing and axles. The next big milestone for me is to get this freaken thing rolling again!

Anybody know what a good front wheel size is? I'm looking to go as wide as possible on the front (17" diameter). The guy I was ordering from thought 17" x 8" x 4.5" BS but he said he'd give me a week to double check.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts