Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been watching your build on Tech.....gonna be a monster.....umm, just one question, how you gonna connect your steering, will it miss the pipes?

Nice build....

T,

yes the steering box is way down behind the control arm. i am not sure if your car is the same as the 67-74 with the rear steer? there is tons of room.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
That going to look real nice! Mine works good but is ugly as hell! What are you using for a transmission and rear end?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That going to look real nice! Mine works good but is ugly as hell! What are you using for a transmission and rear end?
i plan to use a 4l80e right now it has a 60 in it but i hope its just for mock up and i don't need to destroy it! the rear of the car is all done the car has ladder bars and a stock 8.5 ten bolt with moser axles Eaton posi and richmond gears. 3.73's 26 tall tire

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
questions

-is the ls1 based motor dimensionally smaller or bigger than an sbc?
-are the parts forged from the factory?
-how much is a used shortblock/longblock
-where did you buy those motor mount adapters?
-what turbo are you going with?

with my bbc coming out slowly, Im SERIOUSLY thinking about doing an ls1 since I already have the fuel and megasquirt in place.

It would lose about 200lbs, and Im hoping it wont take up anywhere near as much engine bay realestate.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
questions

-is the ls1 based motor dimensionally smaller or bigger than an sbc?
-are the parts forged from the factory?
-how much is a used shortblock/longblock
-where did you buy those motor mount adapters?
-what turbo are you going with?

with my bbc coming out slowly, Im SERIOUSLY thinking about doing an ls1 since I already have the fuel and megasquirt in place.

It would lose about 200lbs, and Im hoping it wont take up anywhere near as much engine bay realestate.

the ls1 is about the same size as a small block
the parts are not forged the pistons are Hypereutectic from the factory- most limiting factor of an ls1..
if your going to use boost i would suggest a lq4 6.0l or a lm4 5.3 truck motor the good thing is that the truck motors are more available. i am in the process of trading the ls1 for a 6.0l now..

i would say average price for a motor with harness and accessory is about 1500 plus shipping but there are better deals out there 5.3's can be found a little cheaper but they love boost!

the motor plates were ones that i made.. but there are a template off a set of car shop plates.

and the turbo i will be using is a master power t70.

i would go Ls motor all the way! the stock blocks and cranks have been tested well over 1+++hp!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Yeah, they can hold power for sure. I was reading your thread on ls1tech and it seems like maybe more work than meets the eye. One thing I hate is surprises because it usually involves money that one didn't plan for

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, they can hold power for sure. I was reading your thread on ls1tech and it seems like maybe more work than meets the eye. One thing I hate is surprises because it usually involves money that one didn't plan for
its very time consuming if you have a large budget and are doing a N/A setup it could be done pretty cheap but starting from noting and building a turbo car takes some money. i try to build every thing i can to save some cash.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
my biggest question is still

which pan will bolt up and clear the crossmember without hanging too low. is there a pan like this that can be bought?

also, the truck manifolds - do they bolt upside down and rearwards on the engine without any mods?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my biggest question is still

which pan will bolt up and clear the crossmember without hanging too low. is there a pan like this that can be bought?

also, the truck manifolds - do they bolt upside down and rearwards on the engine without any mods?
No And no lol..

i personally have tried the truck manifolds have a set here they will hit the steering box if there one normally installed..

the canton oil pan may clear without hanging too low.. thats why i built my own..

1 - 20 of 138 Posts