Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this car on Kijiji up in Edmonton and had to have it towed down to where I live in Medicine Hat.

I looked like a sweet deal, the guy I bought it from swore it had been dry for years. Said he was a welder and that he'd done a whole bunch of body work to get rid of rust.

His work mainly seems to be visible on the rear quarter panels. :hiding:

Anyway - first order of business was lifting it up and taking the rear out

Didn't take long - and only two sheared bolts..:mad: Interestingly both the same bolts on either side of the car: one of the top rear shock brackets.

The underneath doesn't look half-bad actually.

There are a couple of gaps where the previous owner replaced the quarter panels. But nothing some well applied seam sealer won't fix.(you can see it a bit where the spot welds are)

Everything was going well until I saw this.

Admittedly it didn't look "too" bad so I carried on under the car removing the fuel and brake lines... And then... this popped into sight.:mad::mad::mad:

It is a really pathetic half-a-donkey fix. And worst of all it looks like I'm going to have to take the sub-frame off to get decent access.:doh: Somehow "mr.welder" managed to seperate the spot welds so the whole panel underneath is splitting ON TOP OF the nice big rust holes..

Sigh.. Well I'll be begging for help and advice in a few weeks to realign the frame when I get it fixed. I've read a few posts on frame realignment and it's going to take somebody very smart to explain it to me like I was a 6 year old. It's probably a 'blessing' in an unbelievably brilliant disguise:mad: because the subframe mounts/bushes look knackered.

Oh yeah - and the driver's side fender is toast too... not a huge problem, just a PITA.

Anyway - I'll try to keep you all updated as often as I can. My plan is to restore the undercarriage and rebuilt from the bottom up.

(A big thanks to Steve who has kept many of us inspired with his incredible work on his 74 rebuild. :clap: )

That is all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update #2

My apologies for the delay since the last update. Work and studies get in the way.

Ok, so for the last two days my garage has been filled with sweat, swearing, 37 years of crud and dust. Just ridiculous amounts of dust. I'm starting with the undercarriage - the plan is to get it mobile so I can at least move it around. At the moment it's kind of wedged into a corner making the driver's side a bit difficult to reach.

So the car started like this:

And the undercarriage went from this:

To this:

There's still a couple of patches that need some more dirt/rust removal, and in all honesty I'm only about 2/3rds of the way to the front . This trunk section was full of crud, but surprisingly very little serious rust - all surface. The only real damage so far a few pin holes in the spare wheel well. I'm still debating what to do there. It'll be covered by the fuel tank so I'm tempted to just put panel seam sealer over them and smooth it out. It seems over kill to cut out and replace the WHOLE section for something that minor. Any suggestions or comments?

I had to stop the cleaning until I could get the sub frame off. There's still that huge hole in the driver's foot well I need to tackle before finishing.

Out of respect for the neighbors I try not to make noise too late. This is going to be a long build - no sense if annoying them of this early on :cool: So I started some other bits and pieces - namely stripping the paint off. Thank god for paint stripper.

Oh and I took of the subframe :rolleyes:

I'm struggling to get the hubs and a-frames off :mad: These are TRULY well rusted together. I've tried banging and lubricant and even tried a jack to separate the spindle from the upper and lower arms.. And nothing.. I really don't want to damage the spindles because I might need to reuse them. Will try a heat gun this weekend. Any one have any other suggestions?

The stay arm is also tight like a ... well, it's very tight...

Anyway - I'm hoping to repair the rusty panels this weekend and finish the undercarriage so I can rust proof and paint.

That is all...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update #2 addendum

This is the first time I've actually seen how the panels were repaired..

They don't seem too bad.. pretty well welded - definitely secure. There are "gaps" between the welds..

Nothing a few hours with body filler can't fix.. Well a few hours of body filler and a dozen more agonizing ones with sandpaper!

That is all...

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
also make sure you use a durablock or something similar so you don't gouge your filler or paint with low spots get the biggest block that will fit the area your sanding!! cant wait to see how this thing turns out. hopefully turns out faster than mine:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would clean those up and stitch weld the rest way down the panel you don't really want to fill that gap with filler might crack over time:eek:
I was afraid someone might say that.. :(

I have a new lincoln electric welder that I'll need to get used to before attempting metal that thin... bugger

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I was afraid someone might say that.. :(

I have a new lincoln electric welder that I'll need to get used to before attempting metal that thin... bugger
Yeah if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, you want the repairs to be solid. The person who did that fix wanted something quick, hence why they cut corners.

With my Nova, I went as far as rust treat and rust proof all areas inside the Qtrs, and in the sail panels and even the roof structure and inside the Cowl vent system in the front of the car. Took longer and it was no fun but looking back I'm glad I did it. Cutting corners may get you faster results now and may be easier, but if you plan on keeping the car for a very long time than you don't want the work you do today to be repeated tomorrow.
My :2cents:

Just buy some sheet metal from hardware store and practice. Your welds don't have to be pretty, just solid. Body work will do the majic later on like makeup on a women or photoshop on the hollywood stars pictures in magazines:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It hasn't been a proper day of welding unless you feel like Niki Lauda at the end of it..

So Mister Previous Owner decided to cover all his welds with what appears to be fiberglass resin. His explanation was it was to protect the welds. And he did it on both sides of the panels along the seams. It turns out that you can't weld properly unless you clean the fg off BOTH sides.

The REAL :mad: is that I didn't work this out till I was about to throw the whole damn car away. Ignorance is bliss - I think not.

When you weld it burns the fg on the other side of the panel which releases a lovely smoke that stops your arc from penetrating while causing it to sear through metal like a plasma cutter at the same time. Said smoke comes shooting through the little holes like a jet exhaust about an inch long.

So tomorrow I get to grind back all my welds and see if I should kill myself of if it's a half decent job. Couldn't do it tonight :bored: still trying to keep the peace with the neighbours...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't get to take many pictures today.. This is one I took before I really started. It was to show the gap between the inner and outer rear panels of the wheel well...

It was nearly 5mm in places and had 1 or 2 big holes.

I thought my solution was a pretty good one. I bought a thin steel round bar about 4mm across and welded it in the gap the whole way around. It's not nice and sealed. As soon as I make everything neat and pretty I'll take another shot...

Otherwise all I did today was weld and use paint stripper on the passenger side. Uncovered a couple of previous repairs on the passenger door too...

Will hopefully be more diligent with the camera tomorrow..

That is all...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it ain't pretty and it ain't 100% what I would have liked to achieve, but it's done.

I'd say Chip Foose would probably throw up in his hat, but it's welded. A couple of little holes here and there, but they're tiny and I really am worried about sanding and grinding through the metal in some places so I had to call it quits:(

I sanded it down and cleaned it and started with the body filler to smooth out the panel... It's amazing, but I really did forget how much I hate sanding body filler! Admittedly I bought pretty poo sandpaper with too high a grit. I have the Durablocks, but I'm still waiting for the adhesive sandpaper I ordered to arrive, so I'm using a crappy Bondo 'flexible' straight sander in the meantime. :mad:

That is all...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have any ideas?

I did notice something today and I don't know whether to be worried or not - so if someone has some ideas or comments I would really welcome them.

Basically if you look at the picture below:

I took some measurements of the door openings today and found a little inconsistency. The Driver's door is about 5mm wider that the passenger - measured at the same spot on both sides.

I noticed because the driver's door, when closed, seemed to have a bigger gap between it and the roof/channel above it.

Is there anything I can do? Is this indicative of a more serious problem? should I be concerned?:(

Anybody?

Thanks...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'nother little update

Must admit - I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. It seemed despite hours of work, nothing much was visibly happening:(

BUT: luckily I found a second wind and I'm very nearly finished the undercarriage.

It went from this:

To this:

:clap::bounce: My iphone camera is letting the beautiful glossiness down...

cleaned and finished a few little pieces: Front leaf mounts...

...became this:

And the leafsprings are going in too:

The diff is due back next week and I'll need a couple of days to clean it up and then it'll right back in too...

I stripped the whole subframe this afternoon - tomorrow will be a whole day of wire cupping and swearing to get it clean. I'm hoping to have it painted in the next few days.

That is all....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...and on a personal note:

Words can simply not describe how happy I am that I don't have to crawl under that car any more with wire brushes and wire cups and have all that S H one T falling on my head. :woot:

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Good job, looking at that should keep you motivated. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and this kids...

... is why we don't use N95 masks for painting.

I have been mask fitted for an 8210, but still was a bit silly to paint with it. On the plus side not much seems to have filtered through - although I doubt the same can be said for the solvents. I did buy a nice double cartridge painting mask today though so no more stooopidness :doh: from this guy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Superb job...got to hand it to you. Those are long hot hours under that car. Looks outstanding. Not sure where you are but all working on Novas are off for the next few. It's 96 degrees here in STL - feels like 109 degrees with the humidity according to the weather service. We've got this weather the next 3 -4 days. I've been scraping around mind but too much sweat in my eyes...anyway. Just wanted to complement your hard work. I'm insanely jealous..:)

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
This looks like it's going to be an another great build thread (like Steve's that you mentioned already).

Best of luck to you and keep up the good work :)

1 - 20 of 131 Posts