Chevy Nova Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
20,127 Posts
Completed the rear end today, ready to install. 8.5 10 bolt, 30 spline Eaton Detroit Trutrac, Moser axles and Richmond 3.73 gears. For those going from 28 to 30 spline carrier the Motive Gear bearing kit R10REMKT has everything you need. All the Timken bearings were a perfect fit. No guess work.
Looking good. I did the same to my 8.5, same axles and an Eaton posi unit with 4.11 Motive gear. Nice and quiet and using a T/A rear support cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great build thread! I grew up in the Stockton, Lodi area. Went to Tokay High. Lots of car painters in that area. I know a really good guy who has his shop at Sears Point Raceway. If you want his info, PM me. Outstanding job on your car, I hope mine is half as nice.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Looking good. I did the same to my 8.5, same axles and an Eaton posi unit with 4.11 Motive gear. Nice and quiet and using a T/A rear support cover.
Thank you, if you remember I picker youre brain over a year ago on your rearend build. I never rebuilt one before but I have a friend that has a tool addiction and he had everything I needed to pull it of.

How much money did you end up in the engine, and do you have a grocery list of what's in there?
Probably about 3.5k. About 1.5k in machine work to include the block and heads. I outlined most of the parts on post #1 of this thread.

Great build thread! I grew up in the Stockton, Lodi area. Went to Tokay High. Lots of car painters in that area. I know a really good guy who has his shop at Sears Point Raceway. If you want his info, PM me. Outstanding job on your car, I hope mine is half as nice.
Thanks for the offer and compliments, I will PM you for the info so I can speak with him.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Today I gained some knowledge the hard way. I did not know the 2-door windshield and the 4-door windshield are different on my '72. Found one in beautiful shape locally on CL. Went to lay it in to see how it looked and its too tall by close to an inch. Oh well anybody need a 4-door windshield, green tint w/antenna.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,759 Posts
Will be ordering a custom driveshaft in the next couple weeks. Any recommendations on drive-line company's.
I just got a new driveshaft from Strange Engineering (purchased thru Jegs).
https://www.strangeengineering.net/...-street/driveshafts-components-1/driveshafts/
Jegs does not list all of the Strange Engineering driveshafts on their website... but if you have the part #s you want, just call Jegs directly and they can order one for you. There is a driveshaft order worksheet that you download to determine the correct length needed. Jegs has very good pricing plus free shipping...and an additional discount coupon can also be applied if ordered at the right time. The driveshaft (with installed trans yoke) arrived in excellent condition as it was VERY WELL packaged for shipping.

NOTE: Be sure to order a driveshaft diameter based on the length that is needed to keep your intended maximum RPMs about 80% of the driveshaft's critical speed.
http://pstds.com/critical-speed-chart/

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I just got a new driveshaft from Strange Engineering (purchased thru Jegs).
https://www.strangeengineering.net/...-street/driveshafts-components-1/driveshafts/
Jegs does not list all of the Strange Engineering driveshafts on their website... but if you have the part #s you want, just call Jegs directly and they can order one for you. There is a driveshaft order worksheet that you download to determine the correct length needed. Jegs has very good pricing plus free shipping...and an additional discount coupon can also be applied if ordered at the right time. The driveshaft (with installed trans yoke) arrived in excellent condition as it was VERY WELL packaged for shipping.

NOTE: Be sure to order a driveshaft diameter based on the length that is needed to keep your intended maximum RPMs about 80% of the driveshaft's critical speed.
http://pstds.com/critical-speed-chart/
RifRaf - Thank for the info and the links. I will be going with them but I'm going to upgrade the pinion yoke to a 1350 first and then retake the measurements. Their pricing seems pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,759 Posts
RifRaf - Thank for the info and the links. I will be going with them but I'm going to upgrade the pinion yoke to a 1350 first and then retake the measurements. Their pricing seems pretty reasonable.
I also upgraded the rear pinion yoke to a 1350 prior to taking the measurements needed to order the driveshaft.
NOTE: When reinstalling the new pinion yoke, be sure to but a little RTV sealant on the U-joint side of the YOKE splines that engage the pinion splines to keep gear oil from seeping out thru the splines. DO NOT put any RTV on the pinion splines... as the yoke will push the RTV into the pinion bearing during installation.

The Strange Engineering driveshaft arrived unpainted (I already knew this when ordering)... but a little rattle can primer and black paint took care of that.

By using the driveshaft measurement worksheet to determine the correct length, I had exactly 1" of exposed transmission yoke after the new driveshaft was installed.

I am very pleased with the quality and the installation results with the Strange Engineering Driveshaft and Yokes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

Hi, excellent job on your car, dedication to the high standards is inspiring.
My car started off as a white 6 banger with dark green interior too.
So looking at the pictures feels like home. Lol.
I had the mouse nest heater box and the cowling repair and the floors, and am now doing the steel dash replacement.
I am going to copy your idea with the rivets and sealer at the front. It makes alot of sense.
Wondering what direction you are headed in? Copo? SS? Original? Pro Touring? Yenko?
And what color? Wheels?
Just curious.
Oh and your engine is just wicked. Love the headers, the plug wire socks, just all of it!!
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Hi, excellent job on your car, dedication to the high standards is inspiring.
My car started off as a white 6 banger with dark green interior too.
So looking at the pictures feels like home. Lol.
I had the mouse nest heater box and the cowling repair and the floors, and am now doing the steel dash replacement.
I am going to copy your idea with the rivets and sealer at the front. It makes alot of sense.
Wondering what direction you are headed in? Copo? SS? Original? Pro Touring? Yenko?
And what color? Wheels?
Just curious.
Oh and your engine is just wicked. Love the headers, the plug wire socks, just all of it!!
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the comments. I'm just going as resto mod, no cloning. I'm shooting for a good looking street car, not necessarily show quality but we will see how it turns out. Once complete I'll hang on to it. I will never get back the labor I have in it. It will eventually just be passed on in the family. I've been all over the place with color. Gray, blue, green, now back to gray just trying to settle on what shade. Maybe even pewter? I don't have a hood but will be going with a 2" cowl that I hope to make a functional as possible. As for wheels I'm going rally for now. Might do black rims with the chrome trim to follow the black engine and interior. You got any pics?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pics

Click on "my garage" on the left side of the screen under my username for pictures. The top ones are how i bought it and the lower are some progress pics.
Previous owner did some metalwork and painted it mist green but its still white inside everywhere.
I went with the original 14x5 wheels in front, 15x7 in back 205/245 tires.
Previous owner added the ss emblems. I am leaving that stuff for now but it may come off when i repaint the car probably next year.
I bought a complete PUI black interior and recovered the seats myself.
Windshield is out and fenders off now while i tackle the steel dash replacement.
I know what you mean about color choice. So many options!

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Picked up a bumper off CL. Not OE but in great condition. Stock brackets fit perfect. The lower bolts annoy me. 1 hole on each side is squared for carriage bolts but the other 2 are not? I'm going to make them all carriage bolts so they are not so noticeable. I was able to refurbish the turn signal light housings but I need new lenses.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Trying to get the springs back on the hood hinges with them not mounted proved to be impossible without messing the finish up. Found a new use for the engine hoist to stretch the spring and drop the hinge in with no effort.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I did not really care for the bright gold brake booster. A couple members suggested SEM primer and trim black. Tried it out and that paint looks awesome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Mark, is that the Smith Racecraft throttle assembly?
BTE, everything looks great
Yes it is, picked it up off CL. A guy in Sac was going to a fuel injected system and it was not going to work. I almost went with a cable till I ran across that setup. It mounted with no problems, all kinds of adjustments available. Had to modify the TV cable bracket for the 700r4 to give the throttle linkage space. There are better brackets out there but they are over $100. Thanks for the comment.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 147 Posts