Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Built a 383 stroker with all intentions of dropping it in a Gen III Nova. As the engine was rapping up I finally found a decent roller. Check out the engine build phase.

Block – 85’ 350 4 bolt, bored .030 over w/torque plates, zero decked to 9”, align honed mains and typical stroker clearance machine work on oil pan rail and bottom of cylinder bores.

Bottom End – Scat 9000 series stroker crank external balance, Scat 5.7” forged stroker rods and Speed Pro flat top hyper pistons. Rotating assembly balanced.

Cam/Valve Train – Lunati Voodoo Retro Roller Cam and Hydraulic Roller Lifters. Duration 282 In/290 Ex, Lift .535 In/.550 Ex, LSA 110. Comp Ultra Gold 1.5:1 Roller Rockers. Comp 7.15” Push Rods.

Heads – EQ Cast Iron RH350, 200cc Intake Runner, 72cc Chamber, ARP 7/16” Rocker Studs, AFR Rod Guides, Ferrea Stainless Swirl Polished Valves 2.02 In/1.60 Ex. Dual Spring w/Damper.

Air/Fuel – Black Powder Coated Edlebrock RPM Air Gap Intake, Quickfuel Slayer 750 CFM Carb w/Vac Sec.

Ignition – MSD Blaster 3 Coil, Professional Products Power Fire I Distributor.

Calculated Static CR of 10.1:1. Hope to get about 450 hp out of the build.
Currently broke in on a engine run stand. Timing is 16 initial and 36 overall. At 900 Rpm Vacuum is sitting at about 14 hg. Running 92 Octane and using NGK UR4 plugs.

Please check out the engine build pics. Also a link to YouTube with the engine on the run stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOunuoGvNd4

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Added the restoration of the 72' to the link. Pulled the sub frame and wire wheeled it down. Used Eastwoods encapsulator on the inner frame. Coated the exterior frame with the KBS system. Great results. Stripped the fire wall and primed. Need to replace the front floor pans and toe kicks. Rear floor pans and trunk pan look great. No rust on inner or exterior fenders/quarters. Some rust damage around the front and rear glass.

Check out the links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOunuoGvNd4

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally making some movement on the project. Got the passenger floor damage cut out and the new pan trimmed to fit. Just need to prep the metal and start stitch welding then on to the other side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finishing up the column rebuild between working on the floor. Had a 3 on the tree. Cut down the shift nub and the shift levers at the bottom of the column. Ended up replacing the lower bearing, blinker switch, cancel cam, tumbler, sector gear and ignition switch. Finished it off with VHT black satin epoxy paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally bought the manual to power steering kit with conversion to disc on front with 2" drop spindles. Keeping drums on the back for now. Picked up tubular control arms and a complete front end rebuild kit. Staying with stock front springs. No coil overs.

Just need to get the floor finished so I can put the sub frame back on. Then I can really start moving and get the engine in. Still trying to settle on a tranny. Might go with the 2004R. We'll see, more research to do. That will affect what I do with the rear end rebuild. I need a second job.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Finally bought the manual to power steering kit with conversion to disc on front with 2" drop spindles. Keeping drums on the back for now. Picked up tubular control arms and a complete front end rebuild kit. Staying with stock front springs. No coil overs.

Just need to get the floor finished so I can put the sub frame back on. Then I can really start moving and get the engine in. Still trying to settle on a tranny. Might go with the 2004R. We'll see, more research to do. That will affect what I do with the rear end rebuild. I need a second job.
You are doing that thing up right and brand new.

It's funny cause mine is the first manual steering Nova I have ever had, but have had some trucks like that and converted one over to power steering. This Nova was hard to steer with that slick factory wheel and too wide of tires in the front. With my new 5" steel wheels, different Chevy wheel with rougher texture, adjusted the steering box this car drives, steers, and turns like a different car.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the rear bumper off, removed the gas tank and tail lights. Very little rust. Mostly superficial. The 4 nuts that hold in each of the tail lights were a challenge. Three of the nuts were rusted causing the pressed in stud in the tail light to spin. Had to drill them out.

Its a California car so the majority of the rust was due to the front and rear windows leaking. Fenders front and back, inner and outer are in great shape.
trunk is solid. Replacing the floor pans, upper dash and rear shelf filler. Going to cut out the rear shelf filler this weekend. Floor pans are almost done. Had minor surgery this week so I'm limited to light work, standing only. No crawling underneath. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tweaked the tuning on the stroker today. Getting bored while saving for a rotisserie.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Engine sounds good, nice job. :yes:

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You do good work. Motor sounds nice. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thank you. Now that is cooling down I can get back at it. Found a used rotisserie finally. I will pick that up next week so I can finish the floor pans and restore the underside.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts