Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured ya'll nice enough to answer my questions ,I would try to send s picture of my 71. This is my 3rd nova after a 73 hatchback and a 72 custom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
514 Posts
Nice!
Are the wheels 15x8 Vette rallys? If so, how do they fit? Any rubbing?

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,015 Posts
Very nice looking car. Reminds me a lot of my Dad (onecarnut) and I 68's. Mine is blue with a white top and the chrome around the side glass. Dad's is solid blue like yours but his side glass has painted trim. Both our cars started out with the I6. Dad kept his I6 and upgraded it with dual exhaust and 4 barrel carburetor. I upgraded to a V-8 so your options are endless

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 350 and a 427 in the shop but I may just leave the little 6 in for now.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,759 Posts
I have a 350 and a 427 in the shop but I may just leave the little 6 in for now.
Welcome to SNS .

is your 6 - a 250 ?

I'm with - "onecarnut" - and keeping my 250, but , just installed a new (used - $ 150.00 from CL)
B/W T-5 5speed tranny, still using my stock 3.08 rear-end....... IT IS a BLAST to drive, now.

look up Lou's (onecarnut) 68 .... very cool Nova

(what "location" ---- where R U ).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey JIm thanks for the info on the washer bottle and wipers. Yea mine is the 250,but it is plain jane compared to yours. Bet you get good gas mileage too.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Hey JIm thanks for the info on the washer bottle and wipers. Yea mine is the 250,but it is plain jane compared to yours. Bet you get good gas mileage too.
gas mileage :

Back in May (2018) .... we drove just over 400 miles (checking the new tranny) , my mpg was 20 mpg - almost to 21mpg

then a few weeks ago ..... I checked mpg again, it was down to
14 - 15 mpg.

WHY : My Big Right Foot ..... completely my "bad" . In May, I was 'breaking - in' my T-5 ......
now, it's running "on ALL Fours" and can't help but get that 'second - gear - scratch'.

We'll be driving down to Phoenix this Saturday (for the Phoenix BBQ)... so, I'm going to check my mpg again ,
and , drive 'good'.

(click on ' bigallis1 ' and check out his Very -- Cool 69 ).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
engine size

I may have told you wrong about the engine size. the # on the block is 8994256. What I can find on the internet says it's a 292, Is that correct?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I may have told you wrong about the engine size. the # on the block is 8994256. What I can find on the internet says it's a 292, Is that correct?
250 Chevy Six verses 292 Chevy six :

easy ..... look on the 'pass' side of any (late model) chev Six .

u'r looking at the "Lifter / Side Covers" : 250 motor has 4" side covers.

292 motor has 6" side covers , you CAN TELL , that's what makes a 292 engine a " TALL DECK " motor
(like 1 1/4" taller).

yes ----- there are some other differences : pass - side
"fuel pump" & pass - side " motor mount" are switched position ..... but, that's easy. 292 oil pan IS bigger ,
and, most 292's have a
"Huge crank Ballancer" ...... which makes the engine 'measure longer' , for clearing your radiator.
Most of the time, you just run an "electric fuel pump" , and, change the "pass side motor mount"
.... your golden.

(I have pictures of each engine)

If you were installing a 292 in a 3rd GEN ..... it will be ALOT easier, for more room in the engine bay.

Post a picture of u'r motor --- on the 'pass side' (side covers).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts