Chevy Nova Forum banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,208 Posts
Well I guess I'll have to see where things sit when I drop everything in the car. My trans is a Muncie too. I could be wrong but I believe these clamshells are mounted to the tabs. So what you're saying is there are two different positions the clamshells can be bolted in?

On another note, I did few skim coats of all metal where we stitched the car together on the firewall, sanded, then scuffed the entire firewall with scotchbrite. I hit it with two light coats of por15 topped off with some decent quality rattle can paint in semi gloss black, then even hit it with two coats of rattle can clear. I think it came out looking alright!

You can't even tell we spliced in the piece from the Omega.. well anywhere that will be visible you can't tell. I didn't dress any of the welds where they are hidden.. yeah I know.. hack job.. but it will never be seen, and I'd rather not weaken the welds at all if possible.

View attachment 420309 View attachment 420310
I am referring to the transmission cross member mounting holes in the subframe: two sets of holes. When I got my Nova the engine pushed forward. The tranny crossmember was pushed forward to the "front" holes in the subframe. The engine was jacked up crocked on uneven stacks of washers to lift the engine up so the harmonic balancer would clear the back of the front subframe cross member and the sway bar. Additionally holes were drilled to mount the engine mounts, as they no longer lined up. I moved the engine back and mounted it properly. You are using the back "tabs" for the engine mounts so you don't have that issue.

Suggest you drop your distributer in while you have the engine in, and check for firewall clearance.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I am referring to the transmission cross member mounting holes in the subframe: two sets of holes. When I got my Nova the engine pushed forward. The tranny crossmember was pushed forward to the "front" holes in the subframe. The engine was jacked up crocked on uneven stacks of washers to lift the engine up so the harmonic balancer would clear the back of the front subframe cross member and the sway bar. Additionally holes were drilled to mount the engine mounts, as they no longer lined up. I moved the engine back and mounted it properly. You are using the back "tabs" for the engine mounts so you don't have that issue.

Suggest you drop your distributer in while you have the engine in, and check for firewall clearance.
Gotcha! And I think it will fit, someone already clearanced the firewall 😆

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 · (Edited)
So I haven't gotten anything major done. To be honest I picked up a new hobby. Smoking. Smoking food to be exact 😆 I smoked some ribs yesterday for the first time, and they were DELICIOUS. I used hickory splits, I'd like to try some Applewood next time.

Today I got the hurst competition shifter installed, and I cut a hole in the floor.. I'll perfect the hole after I get the hump welded in. Don't mind the mess in my car, it's part work bench, part project. I need to find a new heater box, but this one does function, it just looks like hell.

Here's a few pics that might make you hungry, as well as shifter pics. For those of you that don't know, the pink is actually the smoke ring.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Damn those ribs look good as hell brother. 😋 So does the shifter work clean job.
Thanks man 😎 they were absolutely delicious. I want to try to smoke a pork butt or two next, and make pulled pork.

The shifter looks, and works awesome. I actually got under the car, and pulled the trans back out to install it. I'm glad I did, I was able to get everything bolted up, and adjusted perfectly, then back in she went. I ordered a few good bits over yesterday, and today.. but I might just keep you guys in suspense to see what they are 😆 let me tell you though.. it was not cheap.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Hey everybody, don't mind the messy floor (today is cleaning day), but I put new brakes on the rear end then threw a coat of por15 on it. Of course I got it on my hands so now I've got a temporary one week tattoo 😆

I've been busy hauling logs so progress has slowed right down, but the car will see the road this summer. The plan is to sand the car down then epoxy prime it, throw the seats, and glass in then enjoy it this season. We will paint it over the winter, and do the interior then as well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Nice at least you're getting it on the road this summer. They are called work in progress. That por15 is a pita to get off your hands you pretty much need to work it off.
Yeah you get a temporary tattoo Lol I've been using por15 for years, and I love it.. I'm hoping a month from now it will be running, and driving if all goes to plan.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
The car is finally back on all four tires for the first time in probably 30 years 😎 yes we had it on tires to bring it home, but nothing was bolted to it LOL.

I started working the fenders to prep them for epoxy primer, hopefully I can get over to the shop a few nights after work this week to make some progress. I'd like to hit the entire car with 80 grit so I can shoot epoxy on it next weekend. I might buy a new hood, the one I've got needs quite a bit of work, and I wouldn't mind one with a two inch cowl.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Yeah man get some paint on it and get it on the road son. 👍
Hopefully soon!

Although it will have to wait a little bit, I just bought my own truck for hauling logs (the red one) 😎 were actually going to use the sequoia green to paint this with, and I have another factory color for the Nova that I'll keep a secret for now 😁.

I had to haul the truck to a service center to get a massive oil leak fixed.. this truck isn't really set up for the woods, but it will do for now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
So I made slight progress yesterday. I bolted all the sheet metal onto the car to see what needs work, and I've discovered I still have a fair amount to do before sanding it for epoxy primer.

The new hood showed up damaged, but it's nothing that can't be fixed. I'd rather just fix it vs risk waiting for another one to show up damaged. I think we're in for some fun lining everything up, but it shouldn't be too bad. I'd like to try to work the passenger door a little bit better. You have to slam it to get it to close all the way, but I've got an idea on how to fix it.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts