Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Can you just build or a tube frame/chssis to carry the body and forget about it being a unibody.. You have a front suspension clip and a rear axle and the leaf springs. This wouldn’t be the first drag car, hot rod, or rat rod to cut out the floor and set the body on a chassis..
FBC455DA-E403-44CF-9E4B-5AE3F16251D3.png

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Can you just build or a tube frame/chssis to carry the body and forget about it being a unibody.. You have a front suspension clip and a rear axle and the leaf springs. This wouldn’t be the first drag car, hot rod, or rat rod to cut out the floor and set the body on a chassis.. View attachment 418053
I have thought about doing that, it wouldn't be all that difficult, and would be much stronger.

I went and looked at the other shell today, im going to pick it up next week or the following depending on how damp the ground is so I don't destroy the guys lawn trying to get it out. Turns out it's a 71 ss 4 speed car. I doubt the build sheet is there, but I'm going to say it's a real ss. It's an 11427 vin, 4 speed console car, the gauge cluster had the rpm gauge built in, also the car has never been painted, and you could see where all the ss emblems were. It was in an accident, but the little damage it's got is easily repairable. It's very solid compared to the Omega, the only body panels we will replace are the frame rails, and I'll skin the drivers quarter panel mostly just to fix the body damage.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
So I picked up the first piece of the 71 today 😎 I'll be going tomorrow morning to pick up the shell itself. I have to throw my rear end under it, and my subframe so I can roll it across his yard so I don't rut it up with my pickup.

This is the original cluster from the car, he believes the mileage to be 64k just like it says since the car was taken off the road very early on in it's life. I'll be buying the repop center console with the gauges, and making this car look as original as possible with the exception of the wheels. I want to buy rally wheels in a 15x8 out back with 4.5" back space, and a 15x5 up front with a 3" back space.

I'll post more pics tomorrow after we pick the car up!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
We went, and picked up the car this morning! He said it must have sat there for at least 30 years in that spot. What saved it was he sat it on steel wheels so it was up off the ground all those years. I'm excited to get started on it. I will wind up replacing the entire floor because when it was in the accident the floor brace was torn where the rear of the subframe bolts up, and there is a spot or two that is rotted anyway. We will skin at least the drivers quarter also possibly the passenger side if I strip it down, and find it's full of body filler however I don't think it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So I'll probably catch some negativity for how we did this, but we live in northern Maine which is a very rural area so we do what we can with what we have.

The car was obviously in a wreck which occurred back in the 1980's which took it off the road. Once we got it back to the shop we quickly realized that the passenger side of the firewall was pushed in. Well.. I just so happened to have saved the entire firewall from the Omega. So we cut out the bad section from the Nova, and over the next few days we will be stitching in the piece from the Omega. Is there a better way to do this? Sure if we had a frame table we probably could have just pulled it back out, but we don't. So this is how it will be done. I'll post the finished product in a few days. I have a body by fisher book where I'll be able to get some measurements from so we know it's laser straight again.

In the last few pics you can see I'm prepping the shell, and the new panel so it can be re attached like it was from the factory. If we have to I'll add some bracing made from 16ga steel, but I dont think we will have to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
So it's welded back together. We measured, measured, and measured again, then burnt it in permanently. We used a good door to test fit, and everything lines up very nice. Was this the proper way to do this? Nope, but this car will never be sold so I'm not worried about it. I'm honestly surprised at how close we got everything. The furthest off we were was roughly 1/16th inch between the upper fender bolt holes, but there is plenty of wiggle room there in the fenders anyway.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
More progress today, not huge progress, but some is better than none. I started inspecting the rear of the car today to see what needs replacing. We're going to do partial frame rails, partial trunk floor, trunk floor drop offs, upper/lower tail panels, and quarter skins. This thing had A LOT of body filler on the quarters.

I cut out most of what it being replaced. I had an outer wheel housing over nighted for the drivers side because it's rotted bad.. I still have a brand new passenger side outer wheel housing from when I built my 72 so that saves a few bucks. I have all the other sheet metal to put the car back together.

With any luck the rear of the car will be solid again by the end of the weekend. After that, we will replace the toe boards, and floor pan, then it's onto body working the car. I want this painted before I go back to work in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
597 Posts
Wow, what a project! But it looks like you are making good progress. Good job!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Wow, what a project! But it looks like you are making good progress. Good job!
Thank you! This is my 2nd time bringing a dead Nova back to the road. I'm just lucky to be laid off for mud season right now so I can get the body work out of the way quickly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Man you must love that nova lol.... your a machine.
Haha I do. Once I sold my 72 I knew I had to have another, it was like a piece of me was missing. Hopefully today I'll buzz the new floor in, but it's my birthday so I have no big plans to do anything.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Well happy birthday. Sounds like a good birthday gift to yourself and work on the nova. (y). I know what you mean. Sold my first nova in 2008 couple of months later bought a 68 chevelle sold it before I finished it and bought another nova.
Thanks! It was a good birthday that's for sure, and yeah as soon as I sold that car it felt like a piece of me was missing.

So a few updates. We were going to do just a partial floor pan, partial trunk floor pan, and partial frame rails, but upon further inspection I found more rot, and decided to just do full panels.

We got everything test fit over the past two days. I'll tell ya.. it was fun getting those frame rails to sit where they need to be! Today we will burn it all back together.. I didn't take a lot of pictures simply because we were just trying to get things done.

On another note, two of my wheels showed up! Wheel vintiques is estimating the other two will be here around June 30th. The pic of the underside was before finishing adjusting the pans to each other so it looks crooked.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I've always liked those wheels
Same! I'm on the fence about running beauty rings with them. I really don't want to.

Today we started burning everything in for good.. well my buddy did, he's a better welder 😆. I basically stayed ahead of him prepping pieces to be welded. Today I also took some time to clean up the core support I saved from the Omega, as well as the front wheel housings. I painted them with Por-15, and top coated them with some cheap spray paint. I had to patch one of the wheel housings, but it's solid now at least. My buddy Joe spent the day yesterday repairing the rear inner wheel housings so we could weld the floor to it.

The quarters have been test fit, and should be burnt in for good tomorrow. Just need to figure out what I'm doing for fenders then we're going to jump right to the body work after we take a day to clean, and organize the shop (long overdue).

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Nice work..!
Looks like you’re doing a lot of work in a short amount of time.. The exterior panels always seem to be way more time consuming to get lined up..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Nice work..!
Looks like you’re doing a lot of work in a short amount of time.. The exterior panels always seem to be way more time consuming to get lined up..
We're trying! My buddy works for a paving company, and goes back to work next Monday. I drive a log truck so I'm off for mud season which comes to an end in 3 to 4 weeks, so the plan is to get the sheet metal work done before we both go back to work.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts