Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Anyone else ever order from Eckler's, then have to call about your order because after a week it hasn't shipped.. only to be informed that the parts are backordered almost a month.. even though it said "in stock" at the time of purchase? You'd think they would contact you to inform you of the backordered parts at least... I'm not exactly impressed, but I do understand everything is screwed up ever since the pandemic started.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's frustrating. I ordered a trans from Summit early december that was supposed to ship in a week or two. It just shipped yesterday...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yep...just ordered my entire front suspension from CPP and it’s back ordered. They did let me know that on the order confirmation though...2 days later. I expected it and truthfully, the parts will still get here before I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah, I totally get things happen. I just wish they would have sent me an email stating what the deal was instead of me having to call. That's almost like SS396, you have no clue if the parts are in stock unless you call before ordering. This delays my plans for a bit, but I guess while I wait I can get the new floor in the car, and the tail panel which I haven't fully decided how I want to go with it yet.. maybe even get the Ls swap bolted in by then.

I have an idea for the tail panel that will change things up a bit. I don't want the small Camaro front bumper with a large bulky Nova rear bumper. So I might graft in a 69 Camaro tail panel, but swap the lights to the opposite sides.. then I can also use the Camaro rear bumper.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So I canceled the order with Ecklers.. that whole deal left a bad taste.. spend over a grand, and not even a courtesy email. Ordered from Camaro central instead, they had the parts in stock, and even let me use a discount code.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So it's been a while, but I've finally started to make some progress. Work has kept me pretty busy, but mud season is here so now I have two months to get some work done on the car.. well after a trip to Florida to visit the Freedom Factory for the Freedom 500, then Cleetus N cars if you know what that is.. We are road tripping down, and I bought an 04 Tahoe LT sight unseen to drive home, let's hope it makes it.

I've changed plans for the time being (go figure). I'm going to drop in a small block with a 4 or 5 speed just to get the car running/driving, but I plan to do so with a Holley Sniper. I also ditched the Camaro front end idea, a buddy of mine really needed the sheet metal for his Camaro so I sold that to him. My new plan for the body is to just convert it to a Nova.

Don't mind my buddy Joe.. he's a goof ball.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice to see you making progress on it.

if you want to get rid of the oldsmobile emblem from the front grill let me know. I'd like to have one for mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Nice to see you making progress on it.

if you want to get rid of the oldsmobile emblem from the front grill let me know. I'd like to have one for mine.
Yeah it's starting out slow, but it should pick up progress quickly. I'll let you know if we decide to part with the emblems!

I picked up a 1968 M20 to go behind the small block I'm getting 😎 and also pulled off the front bumper. It's all getting replaced with 68-72 parts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
So we made some more progress. Soon we will be diving into the sheet metal work, but we're painting my buddies 57 Chevy first.

I picked up a 307 yesterday to toss in, but once we got it back to the shop I realized you could turn it by hand a little bit too easily.. after pulling the heads it turns out it's got a ridge at the top of the cylinders.

So what is my plan? Send it to the machine shop to be cleaned up.

Take a look at the picture of the piston top.. you can see the piston ring :LOL: I'd say it's got some miles on it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Some goodies showed up yesterday 😁 also if anyone is parting out a 73, and would like to sell the quarter window moldings let me know! I'm missing the vertical pieces, and the upper piece is slightly torn up on the drivers side.

When I get back from Florida the engine should be done, and then I can also get the sheet metal work knocked out. Then it will take probably about a week to body work the car then hopefully we can spray it some time in May. I picked out the color already. 1972 paint code #48 Sequoia green.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well we got the 57 Chevy painted, so now it's onto the Omega when I get home from vacation.. here's some pics of the 57 after we got done last night (I know it's not a Nova, but I figured some of you may enjoy). The color is 2014 Ford Race Red.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to toss a goodwrench crate in there, rather than rebuilding that 307? I did a lot of work to a 307 a long time ago and the GM crate long block with basic bolt on's ran better.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,176 Posts
Some goodies showed up yesterday 😁 also if anyone is parting out a 73, and would like to sell the quarter window moldings let me know! I'm missing the vertical pieces, and the upper piece is slightly torn up on the drivers side.

When I get back from Florida the engine should be done, and then I can also get the sheet metal work knocked out. Then it will take probably about a week to body work the car then hopefully we can spray it some time in May. I picked out the color already. 1972 paint code #48 Sequoia green.

View attachment 417176 View attachment 417177 View attachment 417178

View attachment 417176 View attachment 417177 View attachment 417178
I THINK the vertical piece you need for the trim is the same on 68-74. I believe only the two pieces you have were changed in 73 when the rear window was made bigger.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Wouldn't it be easier to toss a goodwrench crate in there, rather than rebuilding that 307? I did a lot of work to a 307 a long time ago and the GM crate long block with basic bolt on's ran better.
That's just more money I have to throw at it, I'll get this 307 put together much cheaper, he's only boring it, installing new cam bearings, new freeze plugs, and pressing the new pistons onto the rods, he charges very fair prices. I'll be assembling the rest.. Some day I'll be upgrading it to an Ls anyway. Plus I'll know what I have when it's all said, and done.

I THINK the vertical piece you need for the trim is the same on 68-74. I believe only the two pieces you have were changed in 73 when the rear window was made bigger.
You are correct. I'm sure I'll find some eventually. If I have to I'll call around to a few yards across the country.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So the machinist called yesterday, and it looks like the block cleaned up at .040, he wants me to bring him the crank so he can make sure it's good to go as well. I ordered a nice set of heads for it, and a thumper cam because why not.

I'm still down in Florida, but we're headed home today then it's time to get back to work on the car! (After I sleep, it's a 27 hour drive).. Here's a few pics from my vacation, Florida is an awesome place.. I'll be back for sure. Might even look for a trucking job down this way 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So we cut the floor out of the car yesterday, and of course.. found more rot 🤦‍♂️ I won't say I'm discouraged, however I'm certainly questioning going any further with this shell due to the amount of rot. I know where there are a few 68-72 Nova shells locally that are less rotted, and I prefer the 68-72 anyway. So we will see. I could use the subframe, and 8.5" rear end out of this for another shell, plus I'm sure some other things.

I got to see the 307 today, it looks brand new, and should be done next week I believe. I went overkill on the heads, so that may actually bite me in the butt putting them on the 307, but it should still make around 300hp. I'll be happy just to cruise even having less power, I learned with my 72 that with big power, things tend to break more often.

Oh by the way heads with 2.02/1.60 valves clear just fine in the bore. Granted the block is punched out .040 to 3.915, but I still think they would fit in the stock bore. The large valves will kill some top end flow due to being so close to the cylinder wall, but this car won't see top end often anyway.

Anyway.. here's some pictures, they don't do justice. It's worse than you can see here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Lol that's what the floor of a working shop looks like 😉 we aren't high class or fancy, but we get things done..

Yeah I have a full floor pan for it, but we've found so much hidden rot in important structural areas that I honestly don't believe it's worth repairing.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts