Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before you wonder why the title says 71 ss 4 speed, skip to page 4, the first few pages are about the Omega I started with

Hey guys, and gals. My name is Brett, and this is my 2nd "Nova" build. I'm dubbing this car the Nomega since it is an Omega, but really just a Nova as you all know. I finished building my actual 72 Nova this past spring, and enjoyed it all summer long, but wound up selling it to pay off debt.

The car is a 73 Olds Omega I picked up from a friend of mine for what I think is a good price considering what these are going for even being rotted out rollers. The pics you see are of the good side so please don't hate me too bad for ditching the Omega front end. There is kind of a gruesome story behind this car, but I believe some things are better left unsaid.

What's the plan?

I'm going to slap a carb'd 4.8 Ls in it with a 700r4. My last build I went with a 6.0/4L80, with fuel injection. This time around I'm going to keep it simple with a carb, and non computer controlled trans.

As far as the body I am replacing the entire floor from the firewall to the tail lights, as well as putting a 68-72 Nova tail panel in it. I'm going to try to track down the parts to put a 68-72 front end on it, but here's the kicker.. I'm going to put all the Oldsmobile emblems on the Nova front end, and leave the one on the trunk too mostly just to mess with people's head ;) Does anyone know if the Omega core support is the same as the Nova? I'm hoping so.. less parts to buy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't kill the omega!

I get it though, parts are tougher to come by for the other guys.
Yeah that's the only real downfall is finding parts especially locally. I'll either save the front clip, or post it up for sale.

Where I live is very desolate, but believe it or not there's quite a bit of Nova parts kicking around.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
691 Posts
Will be interesting build. Post those pics. Hope for good results on your part hunting. By the way, what is all that white stuff covering everything?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will be interesting build. Post those pics. Hope for good results on your part hunting. By the way, what is all that white stuff covering everything?
Thanks! I'll post pics every step of the way.. and that white stuff I like to call white B-S.. but at least the ground is freezing up. I haul logs, and it's been a long fall season working in the mud!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Call me crazy, but I think you're better off with the sheetmetal you have. The early nose/tail swaps never look right with the quarter window shapes being totally different. Besides, the Omega sheetmetal of this generation are actually quite good looking comparatively speaking.

Nobody can tell you what to do, and it's your ride- just my 2 cents! Looking forward to what you do, especially with the 4.8 swap.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call me crazy, but I think you're better off with the sheetmetal you have. The early nose/tail swaps never look right with the quarter window shapes being totally different. Besides, the Omega sheetmetal of this generation are actually quite good looking comparatively speaking.

Nobody can tell you what to do, and it's your ride- just my 2 cents! Looking forward to what you do, especially with the 4.8 swap.
I can understand wanting me to leave the front Oldsmobile, but it is missing some stuff, and I know I can get the Nova parts fairly cheap, plus I have some parts left over from my last build.

I was actually thinking of mounting the Omega front end on the wall of my shop, and hooking the lights up to work. It's either that or set it aside for now, and use it in the future.

The 4.8 will be fun, I've never done an Ls with a carb so it will be interesting!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Cool project.. I like the 4.8’s but came up on a 6.0 purely by chance.

If you haven’t seen exotec’s on going build thread he’s doing a 73 Omega as well.. And he’s located in Austria.. Talk about being in a remote location from Olds parts..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool project.. I like the 4.8’s but came up on a 6.0 purely by chance.

If you haven’t seen exotec’s on going build thread he’s doing a 73 Omega as well.. And he’s located in Austria.. Talk about being in a remote location from Olds parts..
Oh wow! I can't even imagine trying to find parts there.. he's got me beat. I'm about 15 minutes from the Canadian border, and I could go over there to look.. but of course the borders are shut down right now.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No Omega Parts in Austria, some in Europe but the prices are insane!

buy almost everything in US and use a special shipping service to Austria with a warehouse in Humble, TX and 1 container a month on a ship - reasonable shipping rates but takes some time.

especially the fenders are very often asked - just now a few guys are asking for ones in a few facebook groups.
someone responded also with the idea of an Nomega!
Core support should be the same, here you habe some interchangeable parts list

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Omega Parts in Austria, some in Europe but the prices are insane!

buy almost everything in US and use a special shipping service to Austria with a warehouse in Humble, TX and 1 container a month on a ship - reasonable shipping rates but takes some time.

especially the fenders are very often asked - just now a few guys are asking for ones in a few facebook groups.
someone responded also with the idea of an Nomega!
Core support should be the same, here you habe some interchangeable parts list
That does not sound fun! I'm surprised you even found an Omega there!

Here's a search tool that could help. I found some Phoenix parts this way...
Thanks for the link! I'm just going to slap a Nova front clip on it. If the car was actually in good shape I'd keep it original, but I think even Fred Flintstone would say WHAT THE FRIG IS THIS. This car will look decent, and more or less just be a fun driver, I might set it up for autocross.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a 1974 Omega, built to the ass Olds 350, 350 turbo,8.5 rear-end, red with black vinyl top, black interior. Car ran like a scalded dog, and would woop my Nova's ass at every opportunity.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Omega is a California car which I bought with some support from SNS members in May 2019 and with all the paperwork and shipping finally arrived in my shop in September 2019
That's great that the community came together to help! And from what I saw it looks like it will come out great!

I had a 1974 Omega, built to the ass Olds 350, 350 turbo,8.5 rear-end, red with black vinyl top, black interior. Car ran like a scalded dog, and would woop my Nova's ass at every opportunity.
I bet that was fun LOL a few years back I had started building an olds 455, but the cost was starting to eat away at me so I gave up on it.

A gruesome story behind her huh? Is she a “Christine”? No disrespect, but that part certainly caught my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't ask for the details, but I guess the car killed someone back in the 90s unfortunately. I'm guessing that's where the damage to the passenger fender, and bumper came from 🤷‍♂️. I was told that's the only reason the car got parked. It was last tagged in 1995 so that must be when it happened. Another buddy of mine remembers the car from way back in the day, and he said the owner was known for liking his booze a little too much, so I'm almost thinking that may have been the cause for the accident.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A gruesome story behind her huh? Is she a “Christine”? No disrespect, but that part certainly caught my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the Nova in your avatar brand new back in 1974..Same color, 350ci, 4-speed, 3:55 posi, bench seat. I traded a 1970 Nova in on it. It booked for $4400.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's great that the community came together to help! And from what I saw it looks like it will come out great!

I bet that was fun LOL a few years back I had started building an olds 455, but the cost was starting to eat away at me so I gave up on it.

I didn't ask for the details, but I guess the car killed someone back in the 90s unfortunately. I'm guessing that's where the damage to the passenger fender, and bumper came from 🤷‍♂️. I was told that's the only reason the car got parked. It was last tagged in 1995 so that must be when it happened. Another buddy of mine remembers the car from way back in the day, and he said the owner was known for liking his booze a little too much, so I'm almost thinking that may have been the cause for the accident.
My Omega came with the built 350, and a brand new 455 Olds, still in the plastic wrapper from the machine shop.. It's easy to swap a big-block Chevy into a Nova, but try doing that with a Olds 455 into a Omega.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I've decided that I can keep the Omega front end for now at least. It's missing the hood latch with the pull cord. So I just ordered a set of hood pins from Summit. I don't really like hood pins, but it will stop the hood from flying up, as well as saves me the money of converting the entire front end to a Nova for now.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts