Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago, I began collecting pieces for a '66 Chevy ll / Nova SS steering wheel. As you all know, tough to find decent 54 year old parts. I wanted the very best original, not replated pieces. I found a decent '66 steering wheel donor and sent it out to Kochs Steering Wheel Restorations. The wheel was blue, had a few of the usual cracks but nothing major. I am totally happy with their work! Sweet!

·
Super Moderator
3,638 Posts
Like that a lot. A one year only, 400 series only wheel for '66 is pretty tough, especially since al 8,000 66 L79 cars seem to have been restored, and there's a big market for the best steering wheel pieces for '66. It takes some extra effort to get a nice wheel, and to me, since it's sitting in your face every time you drive, it ought to look pretty nice. Ruben used to do them over at Koch's, but I think he's out on his own now. He did the one for my convertible.

·
Registered
122 Posts
DB, that looks great. Im considering restoring my 66 wheel. Problem is the half circle horn ring was broken off and missing before I bought the car. I looked at Kochs website and they don't list anything for the Novas. Obviously they will restore them, I'll have to call them to see if they can get the horn ring.

I'm not sure I like the large diameter of the factory wheel but it sure looks great once restored. Thanks for the info and update. I'll have to make that decision when I get to that point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DB, that looks great. Im considering restoring my 66 wheel. Problem is the half circle horn ring was broken off and missing before I bought the car. I looked at Kochs website and they don't list anything for the Novas. Obviously they will restore them, I'll have to call them to see if they can get the horn ring.

I'm not sure I like the large diameter of the factory wheel but it sure looks great once restored. Thanks for the info and update. I'll have to make that decision when I get to that point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The diameter is not too big...love the looks of that particular wheel. But, damn...good steering wheel pieces are scarce! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts

i looked for 3 years before i bought this wheel. the shop you used did a great job on the wheel an the chrome an center cap look excellent. i don't mind the diameter of the wheel.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. Found the horn cap on Ebay from Canada. Very presentable, with no pitting. The horn ring is from Northwest Nova Parts in Oregon. It is in very presentable condition with only a bit of patina. Got the steering wheel from Ebay for $50 with only a couple hairline cracks. Turned out really nice.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
it also sounds like it took you a while to gather up all the pieces for a complete wheel. looks really good an i like the original look the best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I guess my question is...did they just paint it or did they create one from a mold? I have a perfect as far as I can tell wheel I bought back in the early 90's. But it is gold and my car is Blue. So I need to have it done bright blue. If all he is going to do is paint it I could probably get my painter to do that. But if he built it from the ground up I would think about it. My buddy had his VW steering wheel done by them and it came out beautiful. But they made it from scratch off a mold.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no demand for the 66 or 67 steering wheels. So, there are no molds. This was a blue wheel with a couple hairline cracks. They refinished the wheel by filling the cracks and painting it black with correct product. I am 100% happy with it. It is near impossible to find a clean, black '66 wheel. I still look, but Kochs did this wheel a professional job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts