Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new in this forum and I have lots of questions. My intentions with the car is to make restomod and use is mainly roadtrips, daily and little drag and autocross.
My plan is to put LS1 and 4l60e ford 9" with some sort of locker. My first question is, does that tranny fit in stock transmission tunnel or do i need to modify it?
Next plan is to fit CBR 4-link in it, is there anything i should know before start? And what would be good rear axle width with slight mini tub?

My biggest problem is to get all the parts in Finland where i live.

I will post here as project goes on.

Below is pic of the starting point ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
super.... welcome to the nova site. i admire you to take a 1st. gen chevy ll nova an make it a cruiser like you are wanting. this is the place to fine answers to your question. the search community box at the top is a good way to start. do show progress pics as you go.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Welcome to the site.. Sounds like you have a good plan for your project ahead of you.. I believe the 4L60 will fit but will be pretty tight.. It will probably depend on how far back the engine and trans are set back..

As for axle width specs I would suggest deciding on the wheel and tire combination you plan to run and build your axle off of the dimensions you have available.. I’m all stock axle and tubs. I have custom made wheels 15x8 that fit what I have available in the stock rear wheel houses.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey! Good looking ride. It looks very similar to the condition of mine when I started.

First off, I would recommend doing a mini-tub now if you ever plan to do it. I widened mine out to the frame rails using some info I found here on this site. This allows for 275-295 series tires to fit. The Ford 8.8" rear out of a Ford Explorer is a good fit and can be shortened using another short side axle. In the US, these can be found with disk brakes for a few hundred dollars.
As for the 4L60E, I have read that you can get it to fit in the tunnel with some hammering. I cut mine out because I am going with a 4L80E which is much stronger and bigger.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Make sure you follow Chuck's instructions about having the vehicles weight on all four wheels while installing the 4 link. It WILL buckle your quarter panels if you don't. I am not much of a good student. They won't lead you wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts