Chevy Nova Forum banner

My 406 combo.

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  corymon77 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Might be beating a dead horse here. But tell me what you think.
509 Two bolt block 400 sbc 4.155" bore, 0 decked, scat 3.75 6" h beam rods Srp pro. forged -5cc flat tops. Compression will be around 10.8.1
Afr 210 comp heads 75cc, Vic Jr. single plane 850 Holley carb.
Lunati cam 600" 600" 285-293 advertised duration on a 110 lobe sep and a 104 center line, small base.
T350 with a 3200-3500 stall, 9" with 4.11 . I want this thing to be a scary little ride and fun at the track. Thanks :devil:

#2 ·
Sounds like a really good little combo. Other than maybe a little more stall I wouldn't change a thing. Make that a carb an 850 Quickfuel carb or even a Proform as they are set up by Quickfuel and you won't regret it.

#4 ·
That is exactly what I had on my last 406, a Proform HP950. I had less cam than you and that 950 carb was super responsive and it was my only car and street driven for 4 of the 6 years I owned it.

My new 383 was a long time coming like you said. I acquired my parts for two years almost and assembled it and then found the Nova I wanted. It runs reallly good. I was on another board the other day and a guy used to have a 383 flat tops and a custom hyd. cam and he was running 10.30s on motor in a 3100 lb ride and 5.80s on a small shot. I know mine isn't going to run that, but I am happy with it for now.

My last 406 did 11.60s on motor and that was with a nitrous cam. I never did put any nitrous on it though, so that cam was holding it back for an all motor car.

Keep us posted and good luck with your build.

#6 ·
Not bad! :no:

I'd say the carb is a tad large but that can be jetted down, the plugs will tell. I wouldn't step way down in quality with that 950 Proform you have. :no:

Stick with what you have or get a Quick Fuel carb or better yet a custom built Pro Systems carb.
:yes:

#7 ·
Not bad! :no:

I'd say the carb is a tad large but that can be jetted down, the plugs will tell. I wouldn't step way down in quality with that 950 Proform you have. :no:

Stick with what you have or get a Quick Fuel carb[/IMG]

The Proform carb is one of the only Proform parts(other than their valve covers) I would buy and it is equal to the Quickfuel carbs and is assembled by Quickfuel. I have ran them both and have both of their tech sheets which look identical because they pretty much are. The 950 I ran on my 406 was super responsive and ran clean and crisp. Drove it everyday as my only driver, never fouling plugs. Idled clean and response was just as good if not better than any carb I have ran. It would take eveything I threw at it and at the track I would leave at idle and hit it hard, never bogging or backfiring. They are great carbs.

I still have the spec sheet for the Proform if you need jet sizes for initial starting points. I think I ended up jetting it up two sizes in the front if I remember right.

#9 ·
Good to know. The carb thing is just that, I will be playing with them and see what works best with this combo. As no two will ever run the same. Thanks for the input from all. I would love to have the the sheet on the proform carb sbc1320. THX

#10 · (Edited)
I just thought I had the sheet on the Proform 950. I let all my paperwork go with that as it was on my last 71 when I sold it and I gave him all the paperwork and receipts. My scanner is broke, so my daughter is scanning my Quickfuel sheets for the 750 that I had on my first 406. I also have the sheet for my current 850 Quickfuel that is on my 383 right now. The 850 Quickfuel is what the 950 Proform was set up as far as jet size and they were 76 fronts and 84 rear. No power valve in the rear, but a 3.5 or 4.5 in the front works for street driving. I will post the two sheets for the Quickfuel carbs in a minute.

My friend had a low nine second 408 in a Luv truck, his best time was a 5.80 in the 1/8 mile spraying a 250 shot. His engine should have made easily 550 hp and probably a little more with his 650ish lift cam and ported Brodix. He had a 950 HP Holley on his. I don't know what his was jetted, but his squirters were #31 front and rear, and his idle air bleeds were #72 and his high speeds were #32. I wrote that info down and kept it.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
This little bottom sheet is on the current 850 Quickfuel I am running on my 383 and the Proform I had came jetted the same 76 and 84's.

If your 950 Quickfuel is setup like my above sheet on the 850 it will work really good. Might have to jet up a little to fine tune, but I bet it will respond like a raped ape with it just bolted on.

#12 ·
My 400 has the following..

400, .060 over
Dart Iron Eagle heads - 205cc with 2.05/1.60 valves, 72cc chambers
Comp Cam 304HR hyd roller
Flat tops with 4 valve reliefs
Victor Jr intake
750 double pumper.

In my full weight/full interior 65 chevy II it has went a best of 7.09 at 95mph in the 1/8th on 92 octane pump gas.

Just another build for comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.