Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd share this link to my video blog on my personal Nova build. This is my fifth 3rd gen car and once you view the videos, you might recognize my name -- I wrote the "How To Build & Modify 1968-1974 Novas" (SA Design...and that's Not me on the cover...L-O-L). Anyway, I'm a grizzled old print journalist and I figured I'd try something new.

I promise, I won't be blowing stuff up. Novas won't be falling off axle stands and catching on fire. And I won't be sidetracked by attempting to transplant an LS into a Ferrari :)! Maybe you'll find a morsel or two of info you can use.

You might also get a kick out the Howe ball joint separator tool I showed in one video. I don't have any $$$ interest in it, but boy for a cheap tool it sure saves a lot of grief.

Here's a link to the first video (The Calm Before The Storm):

Here's a link to the ball joint tool video:

Anyway, I hope you dig them. I'll try to add 3rd gen Nova content regularly.:yes:

Wayne (aka "Arrowsmith).

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
Hello Wayne,
Very good videos showcasing your super clean Nova... and the ball joint separator tool :thumbsup:
I really like how the tool shown in the video will separate the ball joints from the spindles without destroying the boot with a pickle fork.... or beating on the spindle with a BMF hammer.

I look forward to viewing your future videos!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike...

And please press "subscribe" on my channel. It's free and it will notify you when I post the next video!:)

Take care..

Wayne

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I made 6 of those type of jackscrews out of all thread and special long nuts. Welded one nut and ground it flush then the other is adjustable. Been using them for years so as not to mess up any new stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What A Mess

What a Mess! This week I'm cutting, bending and flaring front stainless brake lines. I'll include a video of my progress later this week (or maybe next....L-O-L). Here's a preview, which happens to showcase the level of my plumbing chaos::turn:

The Earl's Pro Flaring Tool absolutely Rocks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My mess is finally gone :)

The plumbing mess I created is finally cleaned up!:D And best of all, I finished the stainless steel hardlines up front (and plumbed the Line Lock in the process). You can see the finished product in the accompanying video and if you follow it all the way through, you'll see I included a good size section detaling the tools I use. I also included tips on working with stainless hardline. I think you'll find it interesting.:). Check it out:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update #4!

Here's a new update on the Slo Poke Nova build. This is part 4 of the build and if you watch to the end, you'll see a couple of the surprises I found in the car?. These were some of the milder examples....L-O-L. Fortunately, all thus far have been mechanical mistakes by someone in the past. Anyway, check it out....and hey, Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. Costs nothing and it won't plug your mailbox with spam either!:yes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark Williams Custom 12-Bolt!

For the Nova "sleeper" build, I'm using a pretty cool custom built 12-bolt from Mark Williams. It's a super neat piece with 35 spline axles, a 35-spline Detroit Locker, a custom DTS case, moly axle tubes, unit bearings and more. It also looks pretty close to stock (perfect for my sleepy little Nova application). This is part one. I'll follow up with part two (axles) next week. Hope you dig it and thanks for watching! Please subscribe! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark Williams Custom 12 Bolt - Part 2 - Axles

Here's part 2 on the Ultimate 12 bolt rear end. This video looks at Mark Williams' axles, and it shows why they're considerably different than the others. You might be surprised at the differences. Basically, when it comes to axles, you get what you pay for. :yes:I'm using the 12 bolt and the axles in my Sleeper Nova project. Check it out:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Garage Hacks!

While working in the shop (and in this case, on my sleepy little Nova) I regularly stumble into "problems". So I have to come up with "solutions"....L-O-L. And some of those solutions turn out to be good old-fashioned garage hacks. I compiled six of them in video format that actually worked pretty well. They're certainly not fancy and they're sure not expensive. Check 'em out (click to view)::D

:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Nova sleeper project update....

Here's an update on my Nova build. If you dig it, please subscribe to my YouTube channel. I need all of the help I can get...L-O-L. And thanks for watching!:yes:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nice car. I’ve always liked the way they look with the old school matching steel rally’s. Keep up the good work, really clean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Garage Hacks #2 is Live

Garage Hacks #2 is "Live" - Up and Running. ? There should be something here you can use -- check it out! I had fun making it. ?

Next time around, I'll post an update on the Slo Poke. It's rolling right along!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nova Sleeper Build -- Part Six

Here's part six of my Nova build. This time around, I'm zooming in on the front suspension and front brake mods. Check it out! And hey, please subscribe! That's what keeps me motivated!:yes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll have another update coming soon (rear suspension and brakes), but work has gotten in the way. I do have another new video and I think some of you will dig it. It's how I pressure test AN hose (it's easy-peasy!):;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's an update on my Nova project -- this time is all about the rear suspension. You'll see that the concept is to make the car work without any visible traction bars. It involves quite a few pieces. Check out the video for the details. And hey! Please subscribe! That's what makes my little YouTube channel go around -- costs nothing and there are zero strings attached ...:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts