Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the site. I recently began a restoration of a 1976 Chevrolet Nova. It contains the original engine (305 V8), and maintains original color of firethorn metallic, interior and exterior (36-36 on the cowl tag). The transmission is a TH200 3 speed auto; I believe 1976 was the first year that this was offered on the Nova, as well as the 305 engine.

Interestingly, some previous owner has outfitted this Nova with a Nova Rally badge, which I understand could never be considered accurate as the Rally option was designated as SS during the 76 model year. After some research, it seems that despite being outlined with the super sport grille (and clear parking lenses) it is impossible to really tell if it is a real SS without original paperwork. I am lead to believe it was a base due to the lack of a four spoke steering wheel and rally wheels.

Engine is currently in the machine shop and I am in the midst of getting to work on correcting the horrendous engine bay wiring job. I'll keep you guys posted!

Kilted

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! That is a very sharp looking 4th gen Nova you have there.
Best of luck with the upgrades.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Welcome to the site.. Looks like a pretty clean car..
Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the site. I recently began a restoration of a 1976 Chevrolet Nova. It contains the original engine (305 V8), and maintains original color of firethorn metallic, interior and exterior (36-36 on the cowl tag). The transmission is a TH200 3 speed auto; I believe 1976 was the first year that this was offered on the Nova, as well as the 305 engine.

View attachment 401006

Interestingly, some previous owner has outfitted this Nova with a Nova Rally badge, which I understand could never be considered accurate as the Rally option was designated as SS during the 76 model year. After some research, it seems that despite being outlined with the super sport grille (and clear parking lenses) it is impossible to really tell if it is a real SS without original paperwork. I am lead to believe it was a base due to the lack of a four spoke steering wheel and rally wheels.

View attachment 401007
Engine is currently in the machine shop and I am in the midst of getting to work on correcting the horrendous engine bay wiring job. I'll keep you guys posted!

Kilted
Welcome to the site.. Looks like a pretty clean car..
Welcome. Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
WELCOME to SNS ……… have fun and enjoy the 'reading'

glad to have you here ………. ps. - could that be a "rear window defroster" by u'r rear speakers ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WELCOME to SNS ……… have fun and enjoy the 'reading'

glad to have you here ………. ps. - could that be a "rear window defroster" by u'r rear speakers ?
Thanks for the reply, yes sir that is indeed a functioning, rear window defroster! It was rebuilt a few years ago after the previous owner failed to find a replacement for the old motor.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes sir that is indeed a functioning, rear window defroster! It was rebuilt a few years ago after the previous owner failed to find a replacement for the old motor.
Hey Kilted - -

I have a 73 Nova parts car that has the "rear window defroster" complete unit still on the rear package - tray.
and, I plan too remove that unit & install it into my 69. Any info you may have about that 'unit' - - I'd sure like to find out. Then, mine has been "sitting in the sun" all this time …. and, I did break the top cover ……. so, I'm not sure if those can be found .
Thank you for responding . . . . . . . . and, be safe out there .

jim

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Also, you may want too look around here : NovaResource

just 'mouse - over' the top header ; a lot of very good info ; about all Nova's .

Here is another great page , here on SNS . "Originality section : under "sticky - WEB Link Library" (at the top section .
Look here , for general Nova info - - some good reading from SNS member Ray McAvoy .. (Thanks RM).

We all like too read about our Nova's = = = while "sheltered - in - place" ( couldn't pass that one up ) .

jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, you may want too look around here : NovaResource

just 'mouse - over' the top header ; a lot of very good info ; about all Nova's .

Here is another great page , here on SNS . "Originality section : under "sticky - WEB Link Library" (at the top section .
Look here , for general Nova info - - some good reading from SNS member Ray McAvoy .. (Thanks RM).

We all like too read about our Nova's = = = while "sheltered - in - place" ( couldn't pass that one up ) .

jim
Thanks, I will surely let you know any tidbits I may discover about the unit during the course of this project. Thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts