Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 1970 Nova I refer to as "SweetPea". It was originally a 6 cylinder / powerglide car. When I purchased the car in 2007, it had already received 2 extra cylinders, yet retained the 2 speed. It still has its original green mist paint (minus the clear coat), and the body is in amazing shape, with very little rust. My focus right now is making her drive, handle, and stop the way I want it to. It looks good enough for me as is. I have done some things to it since I bought it, and will share the pictures of my progress here. Thanks for looking!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll start with the what came in the car when I bought it, and what I have done so far.
Upon purchase, it had a 355ci with stock heads, mild crane cam (not sure of the specs), Holley street dominator intake, Holley 600 carb, Hooker longtubes, and flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
Everything else was stock, including the Powerglide trans. and the peg leg 8.2 10 bolt w/ 2.43 gears.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

The engine seemed to run pretty decent, but needed a freshen up. So it began..

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Hood Bumper Automotive lighting

The previous owner thought that pink would be a good color for the block and heads. I thought otherwise. Chemical strip

Wood Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Gas

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Fresh Chevy Orange
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Grass Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Auto part

My buddy gave me a set of double hump heads with roller rockers to bolt up to the block....
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Hood

Also installed a little bit bigger radiator, and electric fan for my cooling needs

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

"Finished" freshen up..
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Electrical wiring Auto part

Before and After
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

The engine ran great, and I could definitely tell the difference with the "new" heads. I had this set up for a while, but much has changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a few years with this setup, I went ahead and took the engine out again, to prepare it for a new power plant.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Hood Fuel tank

Blueprint 383 stroker.
10.0:1 Compression
64cc Aluminum Heads (2.02 / 1.60)
Holley 750DP Carb.
Also swapped Blueprints Distributor out with an MSD
On the dyno it made 457hp / 488ft lbs tq
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

I ditched the Powerglide for a TH350 that I had sitting around since about 2009. I had built specific for this application.
Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Hardwood

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Hood
Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas Engineering Machine

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Light

This combo was installed with a new Hughes performance torque converter (2300 stall), TCI flexplate, all ARP fasteners. Also installed a external trans. cooler.
My next order of business is the rear end. Although the extra power, and trans. swap made a huge difference, the open diff 2.73 isn't gonna cut it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts